Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medical/English test

Medical/English test

Old Feb 15th 2005, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future
Default Medical/English test

I have been speaking to an agent and have been advised that once I complete my degree, we would be candidates for emigrating on the skilled 'Designated area' sponsored visa. This means we will have to wait a while but at least we know which direction we are going in. He has also advised that we will have to do medicals and also do an English test.

Could anybody please tell me what these involve.

Thanks

Debs
Old Feb 15th 2005, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Medical/English test

Originally Posted by woody1cruiser
I have been speaking to an agent and have been advised that once I complete my degree, we would be candidates for emigrating on the skilled 'Designated area' sponsored visa. This means we will have to wait a while but at least we know which direction we are going in. He has also advised that we will have to do medicals and also do an English test.

The english test is an IELTS test. Not that bad actually. I did one without any preparations and I am a Norwegian. Managed to get a band score of 7.5 which is ... at least far above what was required.

Have a look at http://www.ielts.org/ which contains information about it.

The medicals are "worse". Not that it is bad stuff; it just takes time. I guess they are just trying to screen out people with disabilities that could potentially "absord" social security payments (dole!) etc - thus not being a contributing resident of Australia. Have a look at Dimia's website .. they should have "tons" of info there .. on what the medicals include. More so; you should be able to obtain the medical forms used through them also. Upon request they sent new ones to us.

Hope that helped??

/Jørgen
Old Feb 15th 2005, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Thanks

Debs
Oz govt requires all non-English speaking migrants i.e. your mother language is not English, to do the English Test to prove that you can communicate & work in Oz using reasonable good English. I was born in Hong Kong, but studied my degree in London and has been living & working here for 10 yrs. I did the IELTS and has no problem of scoring a "8" dated back to 3 yrs ago. I think the pass mark is "6"? IELTS is testing your listening, reasoning, writing & speaking skills.

For medical test... as long as you are a healthy adult and don't need any medical attention, you will pass. But it costs.

Pat
Old Feb 15th 2005, 7:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

British people are not normally asked to do the IELTS (English) test.

Normally you need recent skilled work experience as well - all explained in the Skilled Migration Booklet.

Jeremy