Reload this Page >

Medical, Children school and Driver License

Medical, Children school and Driver License

Old Feb 28th 2010, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

mahboob807 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical, Children school and Driver License

Hi all,
I would like to know if anyone goes to Australia with PR, when he/she will be eligible for free medical treatment and children will get free schooling?

Also I have driving license in Bangladesh since 1999. Will it be possible to get Australia driving License easily or I need to go for lot of driving test? and what document do I need to take with me from Bangladesh to get Australian License?

Waiting for the replies.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical, Children school and Driver License

Where are you headed, rules change depending on state or territory. However with PR the public schooling will be free but not free - you have to pay a few hundred dollars a year for resources etc plus the uniform, trips out etc.

You also have access to 'free' medical cover with Medicare but you're really paying through your taxes and unless you find a bulk billing doctor, you have to pay a proportion of the bill whilst the rest is paid by Medicare. Some stuff like blood tests can be 'free' if you go to a bulk billing place, otherwise you have to pay.

With regard to driving licence, I don't know what the rules are for a Bangladeshi licence. I would imagine you'd have to take a test but you'd have to look on the relevant state/territory transport website.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

vsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant future

For medical, you are entitled to get medicare as a PR. Every big city has number of medicare offices, just download and fill in application form from www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/ and take your PR visa sticker on your passport to any of their office and they will issue you medicare card which you can use to any of the medical centre/hospital instead of cash payment.

For schooling, someone here may answer soon.

Every state in Australia has independant Road and Transport Authority (RTA) that issue driver licence. I am in NSW so I answer your question according to NSW rules and regulation. As you have overseas driver licence for more than 3 years, you will require to take two tests. First driver knowledge test (DKT) is a computer based multiple choice question test that leads you to get a learner licence. After passing DKT, you will have to take driving test. Driving test duration is about 45 mins (When I took it was just 20 mins ). Once you pass this test you will get full driver licence.

Originally Posted by mahboob807
Hi all,
I would like to know if anyone goes to Australia with PR, when he/she will be eligible for free medical treatment and children will get free schooling?

Also I have driving license in Bangladesh since 1999. Will it be possible to get Australia driving License easily or I need to go for lot of driving test? and what document do I need to take with me from Bangladesh to get Australian License?

Waiting for the replies.

Last edited by vsuccess; Feb 28th 2010 at 7:16 am.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

mahboob807 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vsuccess
For medical, you are entitled to get medicare as a PR. Every big city has number of medicare offices, just download and fill in application form from www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/ and take your PR visa sticker on your passport to any of their office and they will issue you medicare card which you can use to any of the medical centre/hospital instead of cash payment.

For schooling, someone here may answer soon.

Every state in Australia has independant Road and Transport Authority (RTA) that issue driver licence. I am in NSW so I answer your question according to NSW rules and regulation. As you have overseas driver licence for more than 3 years, you will require to take two tests. First driver knowledge test (DKT) is a computer based multiple choice question test that leads you to get a learner licence. After passing DKT, you will have to take driving test. Driving test duration is about 45 mins (When I took it was just 20 mins ). Once you pass this test you will get full driver licence.
Thanks a lot for your answers.

I am planning to move Sydney.
So total how many days/months it will take to get driving license as I already have Bangladeshi License for 11 years.

About Medicare and Schooling, I have understood the policy now.

Great thanks again.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

vsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant future

Actually, it doesn't matter how many years you hold an overseas driver licence as long as it is more than 3 years. Regarding duration according to your question, it is totally upto you, how quickly you pass DKT and Driving Test. Usually, you can get appointment for DKT within a week from booking date and two to four weeks on average for physical driving test depending on the load on RTA registery. Only delay restriction forces atleast one week delay between DKT and driving test. So, I would suggest you to prepare DKT exam before coming in Sydney, if you are too much in hurry to get driver licence. You can download material from http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/....html?hlid=dkt. Please note that you can drive on overseas licence for upto 3 months from the date of your entry into Australia if you enter on a PR so you shouldn't worry too much at this stage.

Originally Posted by mahboob807
Thanks a lot for your answers.

I am planning to move Sydney.
So total how many days/months it will take to get driving license as I already have Bangladeshi License for 11 years.

About Medicare and Schooling, I have understood the policy now.

Great thanks again.