Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Med Question - Ladies

Wikiposts

Med Question - Ladies

Old Mar 22nd 2004, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point

From what age might a girl have to have her boobs checked?

My daughter is 11 and has small, but definitely there boobs,
so will she have to have them checked?

Karen
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by karen p
From what age might a girl have to have her boobs checked?

My daughter is 11 and has small, but definitely there boobs,
so will she have to have them checked?

Karen
As far as I know.... based on studying biology etc at uni.... you have to have an onset of oestrogen and progesterone at least for a few years to be at risk of breast disease.... the breast examination is for signs of breast cancer so i seriously doubt a young child/girl would be subjected to this, firstly because of the extremely low risk and secondly if there are so few hormones raging around the body the chance of any kind of cyst or breast cancer is almost zilch (and thirdly how utterly humiliating for a girl in a emotionally fragile and self-conscious part of her life). Of course I am not a doctor so this is not gospel but its my scientific logic....
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

KathDore is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I hope she doesnt have to have a breast examination God she will not be happy!!!

I think I will keep it to myself and have a word with the receptionist when I have to make an appointment for the meds!! I must admit I think 14 and below is a bit young to be having an examination like that!!!!

Wish me luck - I hope all you others with teenagers dont have this problem (mind you I did tell her she's lucky not to be a 14 year old boy, cough, cough )

Kath
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

No gropes for me either. Just listened to my chest. X ray - top lot of clothes off and wear a gown.

You'd think there would be a standard list of things to check for, funny how they all vary so much
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 12:54 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

No gropes for me either
I had my meds a few years ago now , but I'd doubt if it's changed very much. You strip to the waist - BUT you wear a hospital gown.. the doctor only listens to your chest , ie heartbeat etc - you don't strip, and no he doesn't feel you (I'd be worried if you had a doc who felt your boobs too! bl**dy pervert !) , he then feels above your abdomen.. looks into your mouth... no nakedness or feeling in the wrong places.

I had an x-ray at a different place to the meds.. that was just strip off to the waist, hospital gown job again .. no nakedness.

P.s my meds were conducted in Aus and not in Britain, the doc who did mine was an elderly chinese gentleman who looked as if he may have had a heart attack if he saw a naked woman .. no touchy, feely med for me either (now I'm worried, he didn't try to grope me!)

cheers
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Pheobe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by KathDore
Reading this post with interest - my daughter who is 14 is very concerned (and so am I) . does anyone know if she will have to strip down to her undies (as she is saying definate no no!!) and do you think she will have to have a boob examination. i know she needs a chest x-ray but she can keep her bra on for that (cant she??)

Oh nightmare, she's stressed out about this bit and I dont want to worry her or else I have an awful feeling that doctors gonna have a black eye:scared:

Kath
Kath, had our meds done in Cambridge just over a week ago. Had to take bra off but was told to put their dressing gown on and the x-ray done with gown on. Not as embarrassing. The Dr in Cambridge just asked if I examine breasts, didn't do a physical examination so you & daughter might be OK.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi

I've sent the question to DIMIA asking the official stance on the interpretation of question 10 on their medical exam form!

Will post the answer, if I receive one!
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by gdcollectables
Hi

I've sent the question to DIMIA asking the official stance on the interpretation of question 10 on their medical exam form!

Will post the answer, if I receive one!

what is question ten?
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Breast examination where clinically indicated.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Had mine done near gatwick, down to bra when listening to breathing but no feeling of the boobs, daughter of 10 let her keep her vest on when listening to her breathing. For the X ray had to wear a gown with nothing on top but kept bottoms on.

Good luck with it all

footie chick
Old Mar 26th 2004, 5:58 am
Just Joined

davallen is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

We had ours done about 6 months ago in London. My 16 yo daughter was feeling exactly the same. Doctor was excellent and didn't even mention it, much less look...wife was not so lucky, and nor was I for that matter (but that's a guy thing and this is the wrong thread!)
Top was removed for x-ray but all discreetly done and with a gown.
Tell her not to worry...good luck! We leave for Adelaide in a month and all medical worries etc are now forgotten.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Ladies,

I dont know if things have changed since I had my meds done a couple of years ago, but the panel doc in Bath is a woman.

That may help your daughters feel at ease, and probably encourage your sons to want to cough!