Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are there so many....................

Why are there so many....................

Old Mar 26th 2004, 7:45 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why are there so many....................

First came the gripping tales of woodpiles. Then you were shocked at the idea of Hevs with a chainsaw. What more fantastic entertainment could thes people bring us I here you ask?? Well go on ask.......

Its a tale of wood, its a tale of hammers, its a tale of NAILS. Hundreds of the buggers.

Hevs cousin has just had a new deck layed and kindly gave us the old deck planks. There wasn't anything wrong with them as such, they just didn't fit in with the new outside entertainment area they were having built.

Unfortunatley as they ripped them up they left the nails in them. There are around 20 nails in each sodding plank. We need 50 planks. Thats 1000 nails we have to remove :scared:. I have done 10 planks already and layed them. As we lay them we have to use 16 nails per plank.Thats 800 nails!!!!

Its exercise I'll give it that. We layed the 10 planks last Sunday and said we must MAKE SURE that we do a little bit each night, even ifs a coupla planks. Did we.....Did we buggery. So with a lovely weekend forecast I'm gonna be pulling and hammering. Ah the joys of Australia (Well actually its the joys of the renovation house).
Old Mar 26th 2004, 9:24 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hup, should have used a nail gun then, would have saved a great deal of hammering. very easy to use and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to use them. If Hevs can wield a chainsaw..........

Only thing to be wary of is the kids.

Cheers

Last edited by The Bloke; Mar 26th 2004 at 9:26 am.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 9:29 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Hope your using Galvanised nails to
Old Mar 26th 2004, 10:56 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by The Bloke
Hup, should have used a nail gun then, would have saved a great deal of hammering. very easy to use and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to use them. If Hevs can wield a chainsaw..........

Only thing to be wary of is the kids.

Cheers
We might be borrowing one this wekend, but I was also advised that the wood may be likeley to split. Dosn't help us on the getting the nails out though. Forgot to mention that all the planks we take up from our old deck have to have the bloddy nails taken out. ANOTHER 800 piggin nails!!!!!!!

Re the chainsaw...She hasn't weilded it yet (Thank the lord)
Old Mar 26th 2004, 10:59 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I suppose just banging them all in isn;t an option

Just focus on how lovely it will all look when its done - and how many spare nails you will have for those little jobs about the house and yard!
Old Mar 26th 2004, 11:07 am
HUP
Brain Drained

Originally posted by Pollster
I suppose just banging them all in isn;t an option
Hmmmm not really, however attractive the option sounds.

2600 NAILS. A few jobs round the house!!! Hmmm hang on I've got a mug and some draws. I'll put them in there I'm sure they 'll come in handy
Old Mar 26th 2004, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Screws would be less likely to spilt the old wood...
Oh, stop it Lar before you totally put ya foot in!
Larissa
PS Have started talking to meself in this weird internet dialect... d'ya think we'll still pass the meds?
Old Mar 26th 2004, 8:45 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

What Matt forgot to mention is that these are indeed galvanised nails, special decking galvanised nails, which you can't use with a nail gun.

What he also forgot to mention is that each nail needs to have a pilot hole drilled through it first and then each induvidual nail needs hammering in.

Oh and one last thing, as our nail holes don't marry up with the old nail holes, each one of those needs to be filled

What with this and all my parties to attend, theres just never enough hours in the day
Old Mar 26th 2004, 10:20 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I installed some decks last & used screws, much quicker with a drill/driver.
Old Mar 27th 2004, 1:21 am
Badge

where is Badge when you need him to get his arse out of bed after his first hard week at work....

Badge

Old Mar 27th 2004, 1:27 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by HUP
Hmmmm not really, however attractive the option sounds.

2600 NAILS. A few jobs round the house!!! Hmmm hang on I've got a mug and some draws. I'll put them in there I'm sure they 'll come in handy
My mother is of the firm opinion that you can never have too many nails about the place and collects them fervently.

Last count was 25 BIG jam jars full of rusty nails.

Mind you, you always know where to get a nail if you need one so she is right in a way, I suppose!
Old Mar 27th 2004, 2:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Think of the Cleaning Cloths Party Hevs, you'll have all the proper gear to clean up the mess when the DIY finishes...... all you need now is a tupperware party so you can get some nice boxesw to put the old nails in!
Old Mar 27th 2004, 7:23 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
all you need now is a tupperware party so you can get some nice boxesw to put the old nails in!
I'm just hanging out for THAT invite
Old Mar 27th 2004, 11:43 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are there so many....................

Originally posted by HUP So with a lovely weekend forecast I'm gonna be pulling and hammering.
If you would stop indulging yourself you may get the job finished.
Is Hevs out pulling too ?