Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mechanics.....Advice needed

Mechanics.....Advice needed

Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Pommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to all
Default Mechanics.....Advice needed

Any advice would be great as i am a clueless female when it comes to cars.

My car wouldn't start today I was told it was the battery and so had battery replaced. Fabulous I thought, car starts off I go......... However when the car is idling it now stalls......is this because they have fitted a dodgy battery or fitted it not quite right or is it something else??? it wasn't like this before the battery was replaced.

Don't want to take care back to where I had the battery replace and accuse them but also don't want to take it to the mechanic who will charge me to fix it even if it was a problem associated with fitting the battery!!

HELP!!!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:46 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Mechanics.....Advice needed

Originally Posted by Pommiebird
Any advice would be great as i am a clueless female when it comes to cars.

My car wouldn't start today I was told it was the battery and so had battery replaced. Fabulous I thought, car starts off I go......... However when the car is idling it now stalls......is this because they have fitted a dodgy battery or fitted it not quite right or is it something else??? it wasn't like this before the battery was replaced.

Don't want to take care back to where I had the battery replace and accuse them but also don't want to take it to the mechanic who will charge me to fix it even if it was a problem associated with fitting the battery!!

HELP!!!
Hi
If the garage did not keep a charge going to the brain of the car while the battery was being changed then the brain of the car has lost its memory to all its components,if the car say is a commodore then it takes a couple of days/ week to learn its drive/memory again and then it should be fine,you could also take it on a smooth drive and it might learn it back quicker
all the best
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Pommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Trevski
Hi
If the garage did not keep a charge going to the brain of the car while the battery was being changed then the brain of the car has lost its memory to all its components,if the car say is a commodore then it takes a couple of days/ week to learn its drive/memory again and then it should be fine,you could also take it on a smooth drive and it might learn it back quicker
all the best
Thank you sooooo much Trevski....

No they didn't keep a charge going to the "brain" (a little disturbed by my car having a brain as it seems the car should have been on life support!!! Wonder if it had a near death experience?? lmao)

I drive a Magna so it makes sense since the clock and more annoyingly radio and speedo seem to have amnesia too. Just a little scary that the revs drop and the entire car shuts down... i live on top of a mountain and theres a fair few hairpins!!

Thanks for the advice again...you have saved me maing a complete arse of myself!!

Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:39 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

No they didn't keep a charge going to the "brain" (a little disturbed by my car having a brain as it seems the car should have been on life support!!! Wonder if it had a near death experience?? lmao)

I drive a Magna so it makes sense since the clock and more annoyingly radio and speedo seem to have amnesia too. Just a little scary that the revs drop and the entire car shuts down... i live on top of a mountain and theres a fair few hairpins!!

Thanks for the advice again...you have saved me maing a complete arse of myself!!

glad to be of help,a magna is one of the most affected vehicles if the power is lost to the brain of the car but its 99.9% sure to come back if it was ok before the battery was fitted
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

im not a mechanic per se, however are you saying that it wont 'idle' or tick over?

do you have to rev the engine slightly to keep it from stalling?
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:54 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Alternator.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

if it wont idle or tick over then id suggest that the idel needs sorting out - obviously lol.

you can alter the idle revs reasonably easily and its not a big or expensive job.

if the battery is losing its charge, then as the poster above states its more likely the altonator is goosed as it is not passing on any current to your battery to keep it charged up.