Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it me or are these rentals really cheap?!

Is it me or are these rentals really cheap?!

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:48 am
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice
Default Re: Is it me or are these rentals really cheap?!

Hi

I would really wait until you get here before deciding where to settle. Since being here we have visited places that looked and sounded soooo nice but when you get there it not quite what you thought. We drove to Redcliffe last weekend (apologise to anyone who lives there) and we were really disappointed, it has so much potential with having beaches and relativley close to Brisbane but apart from the pool on the front there's just nothing there and seemed a little run down. I would say have a very open mind about where you may settle and then it won't lead to disappointment if somewhere is not what you thought.

Good luck
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Ozzydreamer

Why not give www.realestate.com.au a try? Just about the best realestate website available.

Covers buying and renting, allows you to search specific suburbs, or suburbs plus surrounds. Also provide a map for each property advertised, usually down to street level. Use the map feature to zoom out a little, just to see exactly where you are and what's round and about.

Use that along with www.whereis.com.au to allow you to find out directions, distances and rough travelling time between various locations.

With the two you can start to get a better idea of where it is you might settle, rather than just chucking the proverbial dart at a map.

Andy
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know that the price is PER WEEK - NOT PER MONTH....

And that there are 52 weeks in a year, not 48!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

ozzydreamer will become famous soon enoughozzydreamer will become famous soon enough

Yes I was aware that the price was per week, and that there are 52 weeks in a year We were thinking wed have to pay nearer to $600 a wk, hence me thinking they were cheap
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

For the coast go into www.realestate.com.au and put in the following suburbs

Caloundra, Noosa, Buderim, Mooloolaba, Maroochydore, Coolum

That should give a broad picture. Rents will be increasing as house prices are also climbing. So a price now may be different once you get here. Houses were $250k when we were researching by the time we got here they were $350k

Rents are cheap in comparison to the UK were I know it used to be cheaper to buy but not on the Coast.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzydreamer
Yes I was aware that the price was per week, and that there are 52 weeks in a year We were thinking wed have to pay nearer to $600 a wk, hence me thinking they were cheap

Sorry what I meant by the 52 weeks in a year was that when rent in the UK is normally per month, its easy to say $200 at week = $ 800 per month...taking a month to be 4 weeks. When actually that only gives you 48 weeks...not 52...i.e. an 'extra' month.