Reload this Page >

MCSE in NT4 and ACS application

MCSE in NT4 and ACS application

Old Dec 16th 2004, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

fatbill is an unknown quantity at this point
Question MCSE in NT4 and ACS application

Long story so please forgive me.
I need to apply to migrate before July 2005 so that I can include my daughter on a family application while she is still 17.
I will apply for a Skilled Australian Sponsored category visa.
I am currently progressing through my MCSE 2003 server but will not have passed all the exams in time. Therefore I have taken two current electives to pass my MCSE in NT 4.
Will the ACS still recognise my MCSE = AQF Diploma for Group B?
Also, can anyone tell me what a tertiary education is?. I had very little schooling as a child and left school without any qualifications.
I have not attended any Microsoft courses either, all my IT "skills" come from self study and on the job training.
Will this be a problem?.
Old Dec 17th 2004, 12:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MCSE in NT4 and ACS application

Originally Posted by fatbill
Long story so please forgive me.
I need to apply to migrate before July 2005 so that I can include my daughter on a family application while she is still 17.
The age limit for (relatively) straightforward inclusion of children on a family application is 18 not 17 - however this is assessed as at visa *decision* not application. Once child turns 18, it's best to be in full time education and employment should be avoided.

A dependent child should never be engaged/married/in a de-facto relationship.

A lot of people get caught out by this - they think dependency of a child is based on age as of visa application when it's a later date. Often this means an older child is refused a visa unless the family has thought about this in advance and ensured the child remains dependent (and dependent in the view of *DIMIA*)

I will apply for a Skilled Australian Sponsored category visa.
I am currently progressing through my MCSE 2003 server but will not have passed all the exams in time. Therefore I have taken two current electives to pass my MCSE in NT 4.
Will the ACS still recognise my MCSE = AQF Diploma for Group B?
Also, can anyone tell me what a tertiary education is?. I had very little schooling as a child and left school without any qualifications.
I have not attended any Microsoft courses either, all my IT "skills" come from self study and on the job training.
Will this be a problem?.
As far as I'm aware ACS do not discriminate between different types of MCSE, and they do accept MCSE as equivalent to an Australian diploma. If you have an MCSE, you should be ok for Group B as long as you have 6+ years of professional IT experience.

However ACS could change their rules at any stage so don't waste time on getting your application together.

It's usually better to ask immigration questions on the immigration forum.

Jeremy
Old Dec 17th 2004, 12:47 am
http://www.wickham.id.au/

ChristianWickham is an unknown quantity at this point

MCSE in NT4? I think that you might have trouble with that one. It's quite an "obsolete" skill that may not help with job hunting in Australia, where Windows 2003 skills (and even more, Cisco skills) are in high demand.
As far as the migration is concerned, they might look favourably on your 'industry qualifications' and your work on your 2003 MCSE, and it won't hurt to tell them that you have not yet finished all your exams yet - they will most likely understand and be happy about that.
But, the people handling the migration are normally quite smart and would know that NT4 is an old technology, and that the NT4 MCSE exams have not been available since February 28th, 2001.

Tertiary education is University or Polytechnic education (in Australia, a Polytechnic is called a TAFE - focussing on vocational and job-role related skills).

I don't think that they will look at your self study as being any lesser than instructor led official training courses - they want to know that you have skills and are an IT professional. Keep learning, and keep doing exams - if you borrow or use manuals or books, keep a record of it so that you can list where you have learnt your skills from.
Old Dec 17th 2004, 12:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChristianWickham
MCSE in NT4? I think that you might have trouble with that one. It's quite an "obsolete" skill that may not help with job hunting in Australia, where Windows 2003 skills (and even more, Cisco skills) are in high demand.
As far as the migration is concerned, they might look favourably on your 'industry qualifications' and your work on your 2003 MCSE, and it won't hurt to tell them that you have not yet finished all your exams yet - they will most likely understand and be happy about that.
But, the people handling the migration are normally quite smart and would know that NT4 is an old technology, and that the NT4 MCSE exams have not been available since February 28th, 2001.
ACS rules are quite clear - they will accept any MCSE at least for now.
And they will not accept any kind of incomplete qualification.

ACS do not accept all industry qualifications - just a few specific ones like MCSE. They are supposed to be reviewing this but it doesn't seem to have happened yet.

What the employment market demands is a different question.

Jeremy
Old Dec 17th 2004, 10:29 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChristianWickham
Yes but the point is that he has an industry certification, which shows education / study to a certain level. If you did an IT degree 20 years ago a lot of it will be irrelevant now but ACS would still accept it.
Old Dec 17th 2004, 10:33 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

I passed the ACS (as an Applications Programmer) and i dont have a IT qualification to my name - left school with a few cse's (for those of us who remember them).