Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

MCSE or Electrician?

MCSE or Electrician?

Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

immortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really nice
Default MCSE or Electrician?

Hi,

Decided on Melbourne or Perth to emigrate to but have a dilema.

I am MCSE trained (microsoft certified systems engineer) and am going to get training to be a fully qualified electrician (always wanted to).

Which of these are in more demand in either perth or melbourne?

Also which is the better paid and more secure?

Matt
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MCSE or Electrician?

Originally Posted by immortalbeast
Hi,

I am MCSE trained (microsoft certified systems engineer) and am going to get training to be a fully qualified electrician (always wanted to).

Matt

Where are you going to train to be an electrician, the UK or Australia?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

immortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really nice

Well was thinking of the uk , but would in australia. How would i be able to get over there to do the training though?

I have a partner and 2 kids so have them to think about.

Matt
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Well was thinking of the uk , but would in australia. How would i be able to get over there to do the training though?

I have a partner and 2 kids so have them to think about.

Matt

Well if you do the training in the UK, then you would need 7 years experience to get the ARTC which you'll need for a licence, so based on that I would say anything other than an electrician would be better if you did it there.

Here's the application form for an ARTC just to show you what you would be required to know and do to get it. http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...ck9Oct2007.pdf

When you've got an ARTC, then you also need to go to Tafe and do a wiring rules course, the cost, length and process for this varies from state to state.

If you did the training here, then it would take 4 years.

Based on all that, I would say look at the process and what amount of experience you need for the other job you said
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

7 years? They dont make it easy do they?

MCSE needs 6yrs so ive been told (hence the reason i was going to train for electrician as i thought it was only 1yr experience needed.

So what others are there that are on the MODL and only need 1yr experience?

Matt
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

7 years? They dont make it easy do they?

MCSE needs 6yrs so ive been told (hence the reason i was going to train for electrician as i thought it was only 1yr experience needed.

So what others are there that are on the MODL and only need 1yr experience?

Matt

Well, it's only 2 years experience for Vetassess - the body that assesses you for migration so you'd get that no problem (probably). But you would have to undergo more training here to gain a licence as the TRA just wouldn't issue you with an ARTC with only 2 years experience.

Of course just now, no-one is 100% sure that Vetassess applicants will actually still have to do the ARTC, but it's more than 90% likely they will.

I don't know what is on the MODL that would only need 1 year - but veer away from trades related jobs as they will need a lot more than that.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 11:53 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Matt
How many years experience as an MCSE do you have? Do you have a degree?

Buzzy
Old Feb 8th 2008, 12:42 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
How many years experience as an MCSE do you have? Do you have a degree?

Buzzy
It was briefly discussed on another thread.

The poster has just under 1 year of IT experience. They haven't said if they have a degree yet or not, I have asked though.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

I hate to say it, but are you a decent MCSE that is actually interested in IT/Computers? The last thing the IT industry needs is another paper qualified "professional" that does not know the first thing about it.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:00 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dshole
I hate to say it, but are you a decent MCSE that is actually interested in IT/Computers? The last thing the IT industry needs is another paper qualified "professional" that does not know the first thing about it.
As much as the industry does no longer require geeks who sit in a room all day playing with gadgets but providing no real solutions.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:20 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dshole
Well, now you are looking at it from a personal viewpoint rather than answering the OP's question.
For the OP's question the electrician route would be the longest and, if no experience, the hardest. The MCSE, paper qual or experienced is of no consequence, and would be the shorter and IMHO easier qual to get.
But, its not just the quals here, what the OP requires is the full spec of entry requirements detailing not just the trade quals but relavent experience required as well. If the OP has nil experience in either then he may as well become a sheep shearer!!
As for degrees, of what consequence are they in this question? A degree tells a future employer is that you have been able to study and gain knowledge to a certain standard, it certainly does NOT inform a future employer as to the persons experience or social/employment skill sets.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:23 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

The degree is important actually. His education backround will determine whether he can get a positive skills assessment.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

MCSE $100 an hour self employed, sparky $60
Old Feb 8th 2008, 10:46 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
The degree is important actually. His education backround will determine whether he can get a positive skills assessment.
Well if that is correct then fair call. I have a degree but personally find any assosciation with them snobbish and really irritates me that someone, who has had neither opportunity or funds to obtain a degree can be debarred through the narrow thinking of others. My philosophy is experience counts far more than early youthful education, the University of Life is my favorite alumni!! ah...thats better...rant over!!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 10:51 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
MCSE $100 an hour self employed, sparky $60
Not if it's an MCSE with only 1 years experience in IT.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.