Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

maybe a daft question?

maybe a daft question?

Old Oct 22nd 2006, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

hindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nice
Default maybe a daft question?

can i buy a real christmas tree in oz or should i buy an artificial one this year and bring it with me.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 1:35 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: maybe a daft question?

Originally Posted by hindon
can i buy a real christmas tree in oz or should i buy an artificial one this year and bring it with me.
Yes, you can buy a real Christmas tree in Australia. (Christmas trees are pine trees; did you think we don't have pine trees Down Under?)

And yes, that was a daft question.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 1:47 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: maybe a daft question?

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yes, you can buy a real Christmas tree in Australia. (Christmas trees are pine trees; did you think we don't have pine trees Down Under?)

Be fair, most questions asked are daft but, they give people over here a good laugh and people over there think "oh I wondered that but didn't like to ask"
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

There are native pine trees, and then there are imports. Certain types of pine trees are very popular here and they kill off the bush by dropping all their needles.... The bush can't get light and the acidity of the soil changes. In bush regeneration areas, the pines are cut down and removed, and more natives planted.

Real trees are grown here, esp up in the mts - great swathes of the things... but remember, it's going to be damn hot and the needles don't last long in these conditions.
Fake is good.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 2:17 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: maybe a daft question?

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Be fair, most questions asked are daft but, they give people over here a good laugh and people over there think "oh I wondered that but didn't like to ask"
Come on, though... Christmas trees?! It's just a slice of bloody pine tree, for crying out loud! Why wouldn't we have them in Australia?

Anyway, the OP did ask "Mabye a daft question?" so I felt justified in answering that question.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 9:10 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Come on, though... Christmas trees?! It's just a slice of bloody pine tree, for crying out loud! Why wouldn't we have them in Australia?

Anyway, the OP did ask "Mabye a daft question?" so I felt justified in answering that question.
Yes....but as another poster said, the needles don't last long. We only had a real tree once when we lived in Australia, because it just didn't last very long, wasn't as green and lush (maybe Christmas being in Summer has something to do with it)

Anyway, how is the OP meant to know that pine trees are in Australia too - not everyone is aware of the flora of other countries!

Old Oct 22nd 2006, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all

Well they are not the same as the ones you get in the uk,more spindley and sad looking,in qld anyway.
Cheers Lorri
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 9:43 pm
Fighting my corner

Question Re: maybe a daft question?

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
Yes....but as another poster said, the needles don't last long. We only had a real tree once when we lived in Australia, because it just didn't last very long, wasn't as green and lush (maybe Christmas being in Summer has something to do with it)

Anyway, how is the OP meant to know that pine trees are in Australia too - not everyone is aware of the flora of other countries!

Australia was colonised by Brits, and contains masses of imported flora. Surely this is common knowledge?
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

Australia was colonised by Brits, and contains masses of imported flora. Surely this is common knowledge?
Too you, apparently.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I know they imported lots of rabbits
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
I know they imported lots of rabbits

Actually Wendy, they only bought two.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 11:16 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

We should have a list of the daft questions so

1 We dont have to answer them anymore
2 Those going through a dizzy spell can be reassured (it is a dizzy spell)

Some I have received recently

YES Australia has:

McDonalds (why people care I have no idea)
Taxis
Hotels that do room service
Motorways/Sealed roads
Fish n chips (see comment on McD's)
Fat people

No in Australia

you can't walk from Melbourne To Tasmania or too bloody NZ!!
and no they are not making a bridge to cross the Tasman.
have honest politicians
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Actually Wendy, they only bought two.

Only need one myself
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
Only need one myself
What, no backup? What sort of planning is that?
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 8:29 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough, they just don't seem to teach that in the schools these days! Most people don't investigate the plants species when they are moving to Australia

Remember that you were lucky enough to grow up there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.