Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Max lend on a 45k Aussie Salary

Max lend on a 45k Aussie Salary

Old Oct 16th 2003, 1:48 pm
Badge

Default Max lend on a 45k Aussie Salary

On a 45,000k income. how much are Aussie lenders lending? Answers in Multiples, Dollars etc.

I ask cos I can put down a 20 - 33pc deposit on any home I choose to buy, and avoid higher rates, insurance rates, the possibility of a buy to let etc, but am not sure if I can afford the repayments...

the irony is that once my missus is working and/or has sold her flat we will be fine, but I want to buy quick when I arrive and am not sure I can QUITE afford it on my own..the first few months. I don't want to wait and then be priced out of the market. As happened in the UK 3 years ago.....GGRRRR I'm determined to own a property with more than 1 bedroom and a garden even if it kills me.

in the Uk, historically, I could borrow probably 3x my salary, say GBP100,000K on my income minimum. With recent low rates and "ability to pay" mortgages, I could probably say borrow as much as GBP150k.

Maybe then this would equate to me being able to borrow AUS150k - AUS225k. I think I will need to borrow at least AUS 200k in order to get a small villa. Just to get my foot on the ladder.

Or am I being overly optimistic?

According to a mate of mne that does UK mortgages the housing bubble is causing mg companies NOW/SOON to revise their up to now generous lending. Straya may follow suit. ;-(

Badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Oct 16th 2003 at 1:53 pm.

Old Oct 16th 2003, 2:16 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Max lend on a 45k Aussie Salary

Originally posted by badgersmount
On a 45,000k income. how much are Aussie lenders lending? Answers in Multiples, Dollars etc.

I ask cos I can put down a 20 - 33pc deposit on any home I choose to buy, and avoid higher rates, insurance rates, the possibility of a buy to let etc, but am not sure if I can afford the repayments...

the irony is that once my missus is working and/or has sold her flat we will be fine, but I want to buy quick when I arrive and am not sure I can QUITE afford it on my own..the first few months. I don't want to wait and then be priced out of the market. As happened in the UK 3 years ago.....GGRRRR I'm determined to own a property with more than 1 bedroom and a garden even if it kills me.

in the Uk, historically, I could borrow probably 3x my salary, say GBP100,000K on my income minimum. With recent low rates and "ability to pay" mortgages, I could probably say borrow as much as GBP150k.

Maybe then this would equate to me being able to borrow AUS150k - AUS225k. I think I will need to borrow at least AUS 200k in order to get a small villa. Just to get my foot on the ladder.

Or am I being overly optimistic?

According to a mate of mne that does UK mortgages the housing bubble is causing mg companies NOW/SOON to revise their up to now generous lending. Straya may follow suit. ;-(

Badge
Badgers, Plug just asked a similar/related question. Its not only worked out on your income but also your expenses. Have a look at some of the bank sites eg
Westpac or National Austrlia Bank & use their calculators. Westpac has a particularly good set that allows you to work out not only how much you can borrow on a salary but also based on max repayments, deposits needed etc.

Have a play & see what you come up with .
Old Oct 16th 2003, 2:23 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs Dagboy,

Shouldn't you be asleep now? What time is it over there?

Jane
Old Oct 16th 2003, 2:27 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Badgers, Plug just asked a similar/related question. Its not only worked out on your income but also your expenses. Have a look at some of the bank sites eg
Westpac or National Austrlia Bank & use their calculators. Westpac has a particularly good set that allows you to work out not only how much you can borrow on a salary but also based on max repayments, deposits needed etc.

Have a play & see what you come up with .

Slightly scarey

Just worked out that if the wife and I both had a 30k income (absolute worse case!!!!) we could get a 500k mortgage!!

Surely that can't be right??????
Old Oct 16th 2003, 2:31 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Jane, just off to bed now, hubby is asleep but Im still up pacing the floor waiting for some painkillers to kick in .

Pete, no, you've left something out, even we couldnt borrow that much .
Old Oct 16th 2003, 2:34 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Hope they kick in soon!

Have a good nights rest,

Jane
Old Oct 16th 2003, 2:38 pm
WBB

Originally posted by PeteY
Slightly scarey

Just worked out that if the wife and I both had a 30k income (absolute worse case!!!!) we could get a 500k mortgage!!

sounds about right pete, i just worked ours out at about that.

Old Oct 16th 2003, 2:40 pm
WBB

just had a little fiddle with the settings and if you both earn $2500 a month with no dependants (we have 2) over 30 years you can borrow $509,769

not bad eh?

Old Oct 16th 2003, 3:21 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly
just had a little fiddle with the settings and if you both earn $2500 a month with no dependants (we have 2) over 30 years you can borrow $509,769

not bad eh?
Not bad at all until there's a 2%+ increase in the interest rate:scared: :scared:
I think you have to be realistic and stay well within your limits sorry to sound like a party pooper but I remember the early 90's and the thousands of repossessions and negative equity it will happen in Australia soon enough and there will be loads of folks waiting to snap up the quality repos'
Old Oct 16th 2003, 3:24 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly

not bad eh?
Even better if they make the repayments for you!!

currently with the low interest rate borrowing against income expenditure is very high - they will work to multiples of over x5!!! also can depend on deposit...cause like the UK they can get any fall in house price back from your initial input if things go south for you!

Do the figures for yourself based on personal reasons. Badgers go with an agency as soon as you get over like Aussie mortgage brokers or the like(some general company to do the leg work), if you only need to borrow high for an initial period you are in. But look long term on personal goals if your mortgage is high and you might need to sustain that input, eg factor in only one income for certain periods etc. Bad advice is everywhere! Look for decent planning prospects if you need a mortgage.

Cheers
Old Oct 16th 2003, 3:24 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by cresta57
Not bad at all until there's a 2%+ increase in the interest rate:scared: :scared:
I think you have to be realistic and stay well within your limits sorry to sound like a party pooper but I remember the early 90's and the thousands of repossessions and negative equity it will happen in Australia soon enough and there will be loads of folks waiting to snap up the quality repos'
We will be taking AS SMALL a mortgage as we can manage on. Hopefully we will one day be able to get another small mortgage on a buy to rent type deal....

With a 500k mortgage, the repayments are about 4k a month, which is a HUGE chunk from a 5k salary.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 3:25 pm
WBB

Originally posted by cresta57

agreed, im in the lucky position of not having to borrow a penny when we start out so i was just speculating, but these rates are good and if i was to borrow i would only borrow what i could afford to repay in the event of a pay cut/interest rise.

Old Oct 16th 2003, 3:34 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

We will be taking AS SMALL a mortgage as we can manage on. Hopefully we will one day be able to get another small mortgage on a buy to rent type deal....

With a 500k mortgage, the repayments are about 4k a month, which is a HUGE chunk from a 5k salary.
Depending on lender percentage and years over which loan is taken..500K can work out as low as 3050 per month over 30 yrs, which is still shit loads out of 4300!

Taking on a flexible plan makes these repayment terms look good, but work on at least half again....the mortgage rates have been as high as 17% in Aus, and it was only 10 yrs ago the Uk was around 13%

Leave rooom for change

Cheers
Old Oct 16th 2003, 3:38 pm
Badge

cresta is bang on the money. I've got so many mates overstretching themselves.

What gets me is where all these people have been getting their money from - the people fuelling this worldwide housing boom..

one of the reasons of going to aussie is advancing up the ladder a tad.

sometimes I wonder what it must have been like to be able to walk in to a estate agent before c.1998 with an average professional salary and just buy a small home with a garden etc

I would kill to have been in a half decent job six years ago...

badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Oct 16th 2003 at 3:44 pm.

Old Oct 16th 2003, 3:46 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Slightly scarey

I know I did one with Westpac a few months ago and got the same. Thank god we don't need to borrow that much

Jo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.