Mateship

Old Jul 8th 2006, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Pingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant future
Default Mateship

What is it, and why is it exclusive to Australians?

According to David Koch (and most other media monkeys) Australians have this mateship thing going on. The rest of the world doesn't... apparently
Old Jul 8th 2006, 9:37 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Mateship

Originally Posted by Pingpongpom

According to David Koch (and most other media monkeys) Australians have this mateship thing going on. The rest of the world doesn't... apparently
Click here and have a bit of a read. There's a small section on mateship about a third of the way down.

IMHO Australian mateship is a mutual recognition of equality in a classless society; a form of ultimate egalitarianism in which everyone is accepted as your equal and your friend.

Some believe that it has its origins in the penal colonies upon which our nation was built. Click here for some examples of convict mateship.

Speaking for myself, I like the way John Howard once put it during a speech at Australia House in London:

The two world wars exacted a terrible price from us - the full magnitude of that lost potential, of those unlived lives can never be measured. And yet, some of the most admirable aspects of Australia's national character were, if not conceived, then more fully ingrained within us by the searing experiences of those conflicts.

None more so than the concept of mateship - regarded as a particularly Australian virtue - a concept that encompasses unconditional acceptance, mutual and self respect, sharing whatever is available no matter how meagre, a concept based on trust and selflessness and absolute interdependence.

In combat, men did live and die by its creed. 'Sticking by your mates' was sometimes the only reason for continuing on when all seemed hopeless.

I was moved by an account written by Hugh Clarke, who, like thousands of other Australian and British servicemen, endured years of senseless cruelty as a prisoner of the Japanese after the fall of Singapore. He couldn't recall a single Australian dying alone without someone being there to look after him in some way.

That's mateship.
Amen.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mateship

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Click [some examples of convict mateship.

None more so than the concept of mateship - regarded as a particularly Australian virtue - a concept that encompasses unconditional acceptance, mutual and self respect, sharing whatever is available no matter how meagre, a concept based on trust and selflessness and absolute interdependence.

[/indent]
Amen.

Modern day australia might have moved on singe the war tho vash according to the sunday paper one in 5 aussies are moving cause they find their neighbours behaviour so appaling :scared:

My take on aussie mateship, harmless, you get proud people from any race, not just australia, look at italians, canadians, americans, greeks, lebs, indians, you could fill a page, all very proud. Only annoying ones and australia has quite a few, the best in the world mob or lucky country mob, who have never been overseas or in some cases out of the state, aus and USA have something in similar there.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

David kock was that
Old Jul 8th 2006, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Mateship is sort of a watered down version of Patriotism found in the US (thankfully). There is definitely a strong feeling of mateship here (as well as the fair go) but to claim it as a uniquely Australian virtue is as wrong as the Brits claiming they have a uniquely sarcastic/ironic sense of humour.

It is worth noting that in modem Australia mateship is not always as strong as the sporting competitive spirit; as Sally Robbins found out a couple of years ago http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/conte...4/s1183326.htm

Old Jul 8th 2006, 10:09 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Guess you have to experience it to know/believe and appreciate it.

I know there is more to Australian/New Zealand mateship than simple patriotism found in other countries. But with the influence of recent arrivals (past 15 years) it is not as evident as it once was.

I have a very close family member who is a professor of Sociology and has been involved in a recent study of this with comparisons to the residents of the Shetland Islands.

Kiwi
Old Jul 8th 2006, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thebears

I know there is more to Australian/New Zealand mateship than simple patriotism found in other countries. But with the influence of recent arrivals (past 15 years) it is not as evident as it once was.

I have a very close family member who is a professor of Sociology and has been involved in a recent study of this with comparisons to the residents of the Shetland Islands.

Kiwi
Are there any preliminary results?
Old Jul 8th 2006, 10:34 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Are there any preliminary results?
Its year 3 of a 5 year study
Old Jul 8th 2006, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Pingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant futurePingpongpom has a brilliant future

Kiwi

I have experienced the things that have been mentioned, but it wasnt in connection with an Australian or Kiwi. French to be exact
That is why i question the exclusivity of it. Other people, and other nations, have millions of stories just the same as those associated with "mateship" in the Australian context. I don't feel it IS unique to them.

I will also confess now, that i am married to an Australian, who agrees with me.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Its year 3 of a 5 year study
.......and all his mates have emigrated
Old Jul 8th 2006, 10:48 pm
Melbourne Australia

I have experienced the things that have been mentioned, but it wasnt in connection with an Australian or Kiwi. French to be exact
That is why i question the exclusivity of it. Other people, and other nations, have millions of stories just the same as those associated with "mateship" in the Australian context. I don't feel it IS unique to them.

I will also confess now, that i am married to an Australian, who agrees with me.
It appears during times of "common" strife and stressful environments ie war, extreme weather, being stuck underground etc.

Ozzie and Kiwi experiences in Singapore, North Africa and Gallopoli are however a very good example especially for Vash and myself to relate too. Does the beaches of Dunkirk ring a bell for anyone? or the London bombings of the 2nd world war?
Old Jul 8th 2006, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

It appears during times of "common" strife and stressful environments ie war, extreme weather, being stuck underground etc.

Ozzie and Kiwi experiences in Singapore, North Africa and Gallopoli are however a very good example especially for Vash and myself to relate too. Does the beaches of Dunkirk ring a bell for anyone? or the London bombings of the 2nd world war?

My point enitrely. So i guess all nations have mateship, they just havent stuck a label on it.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Mateship is sort of a watered down version of Patriotism found in the US (thankfully). There is definitely a strong feeling of mateship here (as well as the fair go) but to claim it as a uniquely Australian virtue is as wrong as the Brits claiming they have a uniquely sarcastic/ironic sense of humour

Agreed, especially about the humour. There are so many Brits who seem to think they are the only ones that are scarcastic/ironic. They're also the ones who seem to get bullied the most and go home claiming that the TV is crap, the papers are one-eyed - serously! Its a common theme - has anyone else noticed this? All underlines my general point that an innate ability to get on, and understand a variety of people is the most important thing for a migrant - anywhere.

(I'm not picking on you Mr PingPongPom lol).

I happen to think that mateship of a particular intensity is found on sportsteams, elite teams, military the world over but that that culture is definitely understood by the Aussie male, even outside those areas. But they're not the only ones(!) Aussies have stuck a label on it because they like to think it happens *more often than not*, even outside times of strife, and given the percieved 'laid back' nature of Australia it is therefore considered a 'positive' and 'homegrown' thing.

I also think there is a particular 'flavour' of it in Australia and that is really what mateship means - for Australians.

Also that is it considered so 'important' is very much their right, and their perogative.

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Jul 9th 2006 at 2:04 am.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 2:04 am
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
.......and all his mates have emigrated
?? Do you stop being a mate because you are on the other side of the world? Perhaps you need them to find out.......
Old Jul 9th 2006, 3:51 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

?? Do you stop being a mate because you are on the other side of the world? Perhaps you need them to find out.......
Funny....hilarious

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.