Maternity

Old Aug 18th 2005, 2:25 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all
Default Maternity

Partner and I wanted to start a family in Oz and a friend has just informed me that working mothers are not entitled to maternity pay of any sort in WA.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maternity

Originally Posted by claire edwards
Partner and I wanted to start a family in Oz and a friend has just informed me that working mothers are not entitled to maternity pay of any sort in WA.

Employment law in Australia is different to the UK.

There are "enterprise agreements" - which are laws/conditions relating to an individual company/organisation. These are individually negotiated. So, different companies do things differently. For example, when Optus started up over 10 yrs ago, women were scrambling to get jonbs in their call centre as they offered 5 (or maybe 6) weeks PAID maternity leave.

Some places dont have these, so a "state award" (or "federal award") is likely to apply. There is a "state/federal award" for many different industries and situations, and is effectively the "minumum terms and conditions". Maternity PAY is not usually provided (hmmmmm or may be for a token amount like 2 weeks - i cant remember clearly). Maternity LEAVE is usually for 12 months.

Government departments usually give their employees something like 13 weeks full PAID mat leave, or 25 weeks HALF PAY mat leave.

There is also a "Baby bonus" - dont know the amount, but it is money given by the government for each baby when it is born. Maybe something like 2000 Oz dollars? Not sure.

Hope that this helps.

Good luck with it.

Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

the baby bonus is currently $3000, to be increased to $4000 next July and then $5000 in 2008. Companies vary, they have to give you a year off but they don't have to pay anything however quite a few do, my company gives you 12 weeks pay and coupled with the tax free $3000 is Ok - it's not great but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Last edited by Shellfish; Aug 18th 2005 at 11:46 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 12:41 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by claire edwards

The current minimum standard is 1 years unpaid leave. Where I work it is 6 weeks paid leave (the norm) and the Mrs got 12 weeks.

The baby bonus has now been replaced by the maternity allowance which is just over $3000. Check www.familyassist.gov.au . You get given a whopping great big form after the birth just when you feel really up to estimating your income and filling out a form the size of a tax return.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 7:34 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Thanks for the advice guys.

I did hear something about the one off 3k for having a baby. Time to save some more money!

Cheers