Maroubra - renting

Maroubra - renting

Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:16 am
JHM
Just Joined

JHM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maroubra - renting

Hi,

Does anybody have any recent experience of living in Maroubra in Sydney? Are there any particular areas that should be avoided? How would you compare it with Coogee?

We are a young couple who will be working in the CBD and are looking to rent a one- or two-bedroom place near a decent surfing beach. Are beginner surfers advised to learn elsewhere thanks to the Bra Boys, or is that overhyped?

Many thanks for any help or advice. Can't wait to get there,

Joe.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maroubra - renting

I live in Coogee.

Maroubra is OK - there's not that much (cafe/food/shop-wise) down at the beach so it has a different feel to Coogee which is dead busy most of the time. There is a surf school there and two surf clubs so I don't think the bra boys quite have the whole beach sewn up yet.

There are some housing commission areas in South Maroubra which you'd want to avoid. You'll recognise them, when you see them. Maroubra's not the prettiest suburb you ever saw (someone once named it Mount Druitt-by-the-sea) but it's in a good position for the price.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:43 am
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

Where in Coogee are you Nicky? I lived on Mount Street a few years back, looking to houseshare around the same area again if I can.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
Where in Coogee are you Nicky? I lived on Mount Street a few years back, looking to houseshare around the same area again if I can.
I'm very close to the Clovelly side of Mount Street, actually .
We're halfway up the hill - a couple of streets east of Mount Street.

Nice spot but wherever we go means an uphill walk some of the way!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:57 am
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

Ha ha! I've stumbled up there from the CBH a few times in the past.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:43 pm
JHM
Just Joined

Thanks, folks, very useful. I think a good exploration of Coogee down to Maroubra is going to be called for.

Thanks again,

Joe.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 7:42 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JHM
Hi,

Does anybody have any recent experience of living in Maroubra in Sydney? Are there any particular areas that should be avoided? How would you compare it with Coogee?

We are a young couple who will be working in the CBD and are looking to rent a one- or two-bedroom place near a decent surfing beach. Are beginner surfers advised to learn elsewhere thanks to the Bra Boys, or is that overhyped?

Many thanks for any help or advice. Can't wait to get there,

Joe.
As NickyC says avoid the housing commission places. There are definate areas to avoid including Coral Sea Park. Bra Boys tend to be involved in drug dealing and other minor crime but they are a gang. Unless you are a dealer or a surfer you are unlikely to bump into them. Even then on the surf as long as you follow good etiquette they will leave you alone. One of them recently killed a local criminal. There are a lot of delinquents around the area. I looked at a place there and the playground had been burnt down and a couple of shops firebombed.

Soapy used to live down that way and will know of the good areas. If you can afford further north go there.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by IvanM
As NickyC says avoid the housing commission places. There are definate areas to avoid including Coral Sea Park. Bra Boys tend to be involved in drug dealing and other minor crime but they are a gang. Unless you are a dealer or a surfer you are unlikely to bump into them. Even then on the surf as long as you follow good etiquette they will leave you alone. One of them recently killed a local criminal. There are a lot of delinquents around the area. I looked at a place there and the playground had been burnt down and a couple of shops firebombed.

Soapy used to live down that way and will know of the good areas. If you can afford further north go there.
Even the Coral Sea Park area of maroubra is improving.... My sister bought a house in that area of Maroubra a couple of years ago. While there are definitely some streets you prob wouldnt want to live in and I know she would rather drive to pacific square than go to the local shop, it's worth a drive around as some of it is OK with lots of developers moving in and improving the area. We spend alot of time there and have never felt threatened or uncomfortable or been aware of the bra boys. (although admittedly with a couple of young kids we tend not to be out and about in maroubra later on at night) I like maroubra. Would agree that the further north you go, the better the area. (I like the streets up around the wave pool which is where my sis rented for a while)
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I'm living in Maroubra. its very nice. There are some dodgy housing but there are everywhere. I'm about 3 minutes from the beach (and its a gorgeous beach). There are no trains in and out of town but the buses are fairly regular.

Maroubra junction has a decent amount of shopping and eastgardens has a fantastic shopping centre. Its only a 5 minute drive from the beach.

The Bra boys are nothing. There are plenty of wannabe bra boys who cause the problems but the bra boys themselves dont really cause many problems. I like it here but i might have to relocate for work. its lovely to be able to get the piece and quiet on the beach that others dont offer. However, Coogee is only 30 minutes walk away if you want to party. Just avoid the ice cream.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:56 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

to be honest the area around coral sea park has issues, but that is restricted to a very small area. we live in and around maroubra for 2 years and loved it.
our kids were 15, 17 and 19 at the time and they loved it too.
everyone has the wrong idea about the bra boys. they protect their beach. thats all! if anyone is out of order on the beach then they will protect it or anyone who is being hassled.
my son worked in the bar they all drank in for about 6 months and never saw one fight.
we also lived in malabar and to us it was just perfect! we just couldnt afford to buy a house there so moved to the gold coast. we still miss both areas though.
you are a young couple and would be mad not to live somewhere near or in coogee. i could type for hours on how great we think these areas are, but i will spare you lol
best think i can say is. hire a car and run around these area for a few days till one area grabs you.

good luck guys

soapy
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:24 am
JHM
Just Joined

Thanks, Soapy, that is all music to my ears. Both Coogee and Maroubra sound spot on.

Thank you everybody for all the advice. Now just need to find tenants for our London flat and we can jump on a plane...