Reload this Page >

Marine Insurance?

Marine Insurance?

Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

simon and jenean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marine Insurance?

Hi

I know there are a lot of threads about shipping insurance and having looked through them am still unclear. So if anyone can answer I will be chuffed and please correct me if I am wrong about anything, am feeling very confused.

From reading other posts I think I understand that Marine Insurance covers your total loss if the container falls of a boat, whilst Standard Liability Insurance isn't likely to.

However, how good is Marine Insurance for covering loss and damage to items? I have received a quote from Letton Percival today - 1.6% (this has gone up?) of goods plus 5% Insurance Premium Tax with a £100 excess or 1% of total value of consignment. Reading through the Claims Procedure you need to include correspondence exchanged with carriers etc regarding their liability for the loss or damage. Does this mean that Marine Insurers would refuse to pay out as they would say that your removal company were liable, which would in effect leave us with the Limited Liability Cover offered by our removal company, which I think is £40 per item.

Basically we want cover that will pay out if our container goes overboard but also just in case a couple of more expensive items (drum kit and limited edition guitar go missing ).

Anyone had any good/bad experiences with claiming from Letton Percival?

Also the Letton Percival has a much simpler form for filling in, however the letter says that it would be in oorder for you to attach an inventory list with values. Does this mean basically completing a long list of everything which is standard procedure for Standard Liability?

Also any tips gratefully received. Sorry its such a long rambling post, a bit like my mind at the moment. We have booked in our removers and still haven't exchanged on our house sale and are looking at removers coming in less than 2 weeks, so I need to get this all sorted soon!

Many thanks for any help
Jenean
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

happygolucky121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marine Insurance?

I would barter with the shipping company play them off against Letton Percival off , we did this and got cover reduced by the shipping company to match what Letton Percival were offering. Plus the excess for letton percival is 1% of the total insurance value, where as with the shipping company the excess was only £50.00.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 9:29 am
Just Joined

simon and jenean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marine Insurance?

Many thanks for your reply, any other advice out there. We have now exchanged contracts and have only short period of time to sort this out

Jenean