Many Bungalow

Old Nov 16th 2005, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice
Default Many Bungalow

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has stayed at the Manly Bungalow for a week or so.

http://www.manlybungalow.com/location.asp

If so, what's it like?

Cheers, SS
Old Nov 16th 2005, 8:37 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Many Bungalow

On the Pittwater Road so b****y noisy would be my interpretation!

But then, it would be noisier still the closer you get to the Corso.......
Old Nov 16th 2005, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

helenandnick is an unknown quantity at this point

We stayed just off the corso and it was fine - later we moved to Harbord area and used to have to walk past the Manly bungalow. The Pittwater Road is really busy and to be honest the placed didn't look as nice as they are making it out to.

Is it a hostel you are looking for?
Old Nov 16th 2005, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Well I am looking for somewhere to stay for the first couple of weeks while I look for a more permanent place to rent in the Manly/Harbord/Queesncliff area. It is the cheapest I have found at $300 pw.

Thanks for your input though.....the back packer places are the cheapest for sure, and I think this may be one.

helenandnick - can I ask what you think of manly and harbord etc? is harbord much cheaper than Manly? and how much would you have to pay for a half decent 2 bedder per week?

Thanks for your help

SS

Last edited by SuperSeagulls; Nov 16th 2005 at 4:52 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

PS I stayed just off the Corso (Wentworth apartments) on my validation trip and it was fine.

SS
Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Hi SuperSeagulls

We lived in Queenscliff for the first 4 months we were in Aus and then moved to Harbord. I love it there - that is where we are trying to get back to!! Harbord is a lot quieter than Manly which is good especially in the summer. During the summer months Manly can be horrible - just far too busy for me anyway! But Queenscliff/Harbord is quiter and the beaches are quieter too, definatly recommend Freshwater beach (the walk is well worth it!!)
We paid $380 a week for our two bedder in Harbord. You can get cheaper than that but you do pay for little extras ie being near the beach/having a balcony etc.
I couldn't recommend Harbord enough, its a great little place with some lovely cafes and bars and only a couple minutes one way to Manly and a couple minutes the other way to Curl Curl/Dee Why.
Good luck with the move - I'm jealous just thinking about it!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks very much

I expect Manly will be a bit too pricey for us and I suspect Harbord or Queenscliff will be just right. I suspect we will need to get the ferry into work ach day, so I was wondering how long it would typically take to walk to the wharf from Harbord or Queenscliff.

So ae you living in Harbord now? From the sound of it, it has a really nice atmosphere there and you dont have to get caught up in hectic Manly during the busy months.

Cheers

SS
Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

I wish were in Harbord now!!! Unfortunatly we can't back to Aus !! I was over there on a 6 month holiday visa and my boyfriend was there on a working holiday visa (I had already had one a few years ago) but we had to come back when the visas ran out and now we can't back!

But by the sounds of it Harbord or Queenscliff would be perfect or you. You can catch the ferry into the city but you would probably need to get a bus to the wharf as it probably is a half hour walk to the wharf (depending on where you are) There is also a city express bus which runs from Harbord which is cheaper and not as much hassle - but a ferry ride across the harbour in the morning is a lovely way to commute! The ferry takes 1/2 hour from Manly to Circular Quays but there is the Jetcat which takes 15 (more expensive though)

Harbord is alot more chilled out than Manly with all the shops you need there and the Mall is just a walk away which has the large supermarket and a cinema.

Do you have anywhere to stay yet? I could give you some real estate places if you want then you could line up viewings of accomodation for when you get there - if you're like me the sooner you get into your own place the better!

Anything else get in touch - its nice to know someone will soon be living the place I'd love to call home!!!!

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
Thanks very much

I expect Manly will be a bit too pricey for us and I suspect Harbord or Queenscliff will be just right. I suspect we will need to get the ferry into work ach day, so I was wondering how long it would typically take to walk to the wharf from Harbord or Queenscliff.

So ae you living in Harbord now? From the sound of it, it has a really nice atmosphere there and you dont have to get caught up in hectic Manly during the busy months.

Cheers

SS
Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by helenandnick
I wish were in Harbord now!!! Unfortunatly we can't back to Aus !! I was over there on a 6 month holiday visa and my boyfriend was there on a working holiday visa (I had already had one a few years ago) but we had to come back when the visas ran out and now we can't back!

But by the sounds of it Harbord or Queenscliff would be perfect or you. You can catch the ferry into the city but you would probably need to get a bus to the wharf as it probably is a half hour walk to the wharf (depending on where you are) There is also a city express bus which runs from Harbord which is cheaper and not as much hassle - but a ferry ride across the harbour in the morning is a lovely way to commute! The ferry takes 1/2 hour from Manly to Circular Quays but there is the Jetcat which takes 15 (more expensive though)

Harbord is alot more chilled out than Manly with all the shops you need there and the Mall is just a walk away which has the large supermarket and a cinema.

Do you have anywhere to stay yet? I could give you some real estate places if you want then you could line up viewings of accomodation for when you get there - if you're like me the sooner you get into your own place the better!

Anything else get in touch - its nice to know someone will soon be living the place I'd love to call home!!!!

Hi again......

Yep..it sounds ideal - and I'd be very grateful if you could send me those details. You can PM me if you like. For sure, the sooner I get into a place and can settle down the better. I dont want to be hanging aorund in a hostel for too long.....

When I was in Manly earlier this year I had a look around Dee Why (really nice) but thats a bit far out for us...mind you the cliff top walk to Curl Curl was stunning. We got the bus through harbord and it seemd really nice, but I cant remember to much of it. It takes me 1/2 hr to walk to work at the moment in the Uk so I think I can easily handle that in Oz if it was by the beach, on the way to the ferry. Or I could do the bus like you say....

And are you applying to go back to Australia?

Thanks again, you've been a great help

SS
Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

It was a two bedder in Harbord, before that we rented a two bedder by the lagoon - which was nice but the insects loved the place, needless to say I hated it!

try www.realestate.com.au and do a search under postcode 2096 which is Harbord, but it will also list Curl Curl and Queenie. Most of the Real Estate agents in the area list there properties here plus it will give you a good idea of whats out there. Now seems to be the worst time to look for properties as its coming into summer and everyone wants a unit with a balcony. But its worth a look anyway. You might get something cheap for 6 months and then move on - we did this, bought furniture etc whilst we were paying less rent and then once more money was coming in we moved into somewhere better!
The website also gives you a map of the area so you can see how far from the beach you are - VERY IMPORTANT!!!! Why live in Australia and not live by the beach?!!!

Anything else let us know!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

oh and we can't go back at the moment - Nick is a scaffolder and they don't have that trade on their lists...... but fingers crossed one day we'll get back!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by helenandnick
oh and we can't go back at the moment - Nick is a scaffolder and they don't have that trade on their lists...... but fingers crossed one day we'll get back!
Well my fingers are also crossed for you I'm amazed scaffolders arent on there..especially given some of the skills on the SOL.

I use that real estate website quite a lot, and it seems pretty up-to-date. we will be arriving in May so I am hoping the prices may be lower and competition is less for the places because winter will be just around the corner.

Is it a bit of a bun-fight when looking at property? I understand that you have a 15 minute viewing window and all those who are interested have a gander at the same time????

Cheers, SS
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Apologies - just the one bump!

SS
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Goodwin will become famous soon enoughGoodwin will become famous soon enough

Manly Bungalows seems quieter but they get really booked up and you have to book in advance.

I am not sure what Harbord and Queenscliff are like as areas to live in but we were in the same situation as yourselves earlier this year and we decided to stay in Manly to begin with as we like to be close to the shops, beach, pubs, etc. And after being in Manly for 3 months would like to stay here aswell, i think Queenscliff and Harbord would be to quiet and out of town for us. Although Manly can be loud at times, it all depends on what streets you live, if you live above the Corso then you have to expect it.
The most convinent thing about living in Manly is being so close to the wharf for getting to the city especially if you work there, what better way to get to work than on the ferry, beats the public transport in the UK. And also its a lively seaside town which is great and its got a excellent big beach, which can get busy at times but its clean and very safe.

If you need any information or advice feel free to PM us for any help.
We are living in Manly at the moment and renting a 1 bed apartment overlooking the beach and ocean for $365 (all bills included) just have to pay for the electricity. The further away from the beach the cheaper it gets.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Goodwin
Manly Bungalows seems quieter but they get really booked up and you have to book in advance.

I am not sure what Harbord and Queenscliff are like as areas to live in but we were in the same situation as yourselves earlier this year and we decided to stay in Manly to begin with as we like to be close to the shops, beach, pubs, etc. And after being in Manly for 3 months would like to stay here aswell, i think Queenscliff and Harbord would be to quiet and out of town for us. Although Manly can be loud at times, it all depends on what streets you live, if you live above the Corso then you have to expect it.
The most convinent thing about living in Manly is being so close to the wharf for getting to the city especially if you work there, what better way to get to work than on the ferry, beats the public transport in the UK. And also its a lively seaside town which is great and its got a excellent big beach, which can get busy at times but its clean and very safe.

If you need any information or advice feel free to PM us for any help.
We are living in Manly at the moment and renting a 1 bed apartment overlooking the beach and ocean for $365 (all bills included) just have to pay for the electricity. The further away from the beach the cheaper it gets.
Hi Goodwin...thanks for the post. It's always nice to hear from people who live in Manly. I have posted you some questions in the other thread I made, asking about Fairlight - if it's ok, do you think you can have a quick squiz at them :-)

Where abouts did you stay when you first stayed in Manly, and how long did it take for you to get a place?

Cheers, SS