Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Many Americans living in OZ?

Many Americans living in OZ?

Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Clueless Yank is on a distinguished road
Default Many Americans living in OZ?

OK, first off I know this board is for BRITISH expats - but its a great board and the equivalent doesn't seem to exist for Americans. (Though given the last election results I can't imagine why it wouldn't.)

Anyway, are there other Yanks that follow this board that can relate their experiences in OZ? Or others that have some generalized insight into how Americans seem to fare there?

I guess in terms of community acceptance, entrepreneurship, culture shock, etc.

I'm married and have 10 year old boys (yes twins), and for all my convoluted reasons, I just don't believe the US will offer the best life for my kids in the long run.

If we moved to OZ, I know I'd have to start my own business (which I've done several times in the US), and realize life won't be as easy or convenient. But that doesn't bother me as long as I believe OZ would be viable for our family long term.

Actually we have plenty of culture shock now living in the Bible belt, and not going to church or sporting the ubiquitous "I support our Troups" ribbon sticker on the car. In fact, I'm starting to suspect our entire country has been victimized by body snatchers with bizarre aliens taking the place of normally decent people. But that's just to say that culture shock may not affect us as much as others.

But back to the original question. Does anyone know how Yanks tend to fare in OZ? Thanks for any reply!
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:08 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Many Americans living in OZ?

Welcome, CY!

Culture shock is probably the word. From my own experience as a recently emigrated Brit who has lived part-year in the States for the last 12 years or so, the two "cultures" are very much alike and also different.

Americans and Australians both have the same emphasis on Money Money Money - but Americans tend to have the attitude that they have to go out and earn it whereas Australians think the government should hand it out!

(Stand by for incoming.......)

I know exactly what you mean though about the Bible Belt - I can still remember the shock horror when the golf club inadvertantly scheduled some sort of event on Good Friday. You'd think WW3 had erupted!
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:22 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Hi - I believe Meryl is from the US and recently got her visa. Peter has just brought his American wife over here a couple of months ago, though don't think he's posted since actually!! Anyway, point is, it took me 2 seconds to think of 2 names, so I'm sure there are others
Noone minds a non-brit on here anyway, just so longs they dont mind when we talk about A-level equivalents, English chocolate & DVD compatability between OZ & UK
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

RW, I wonder if the money money money thing might be more pronounced in Sydney than other parts? Due to the high cost of living there, it might be similar to NY or California where you almost have no choice but to earn big.

Are you saying you find the "culture" in OZ to be closer to that of the US than the UK? Part of the attraction of OZ to me was the idea of the British influence in culture etc.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clueless Yank
OK, first off I know this board is for BRITISH expats - but its a great board and the equivalent doesn't seem to exist for Americans. (Though given the last election results I can't imagine why it wouldn't.)

Anyway, are there other Yanks that follow this board that can relate their experiences in OZ? Or others that have some generalized insight into how Americans seem to fare there?

I guess in terms of community acceptance, entrepreneurship, culture shock, etc.

I'm married and have 10 year old boys (yes twins), and for all my convoluted reasons, I just don't believe the US will offer the best life for my kids in the long run.

If we moved to OZ, I know I'd have to start my own business (which I've done several times in the US), and realize life won't be as easy or convenient. But that doesn't bother me as long as I believe OZ would be viable for our family long term.

Actually we have plenty of culture shock now living in the Bible belt, and not going to church or sporting the ubiquitous "I support our Troups" ribbon sticker on the car. In fact, I'm starting to suspect our entire country has been victimized by body snatchers with bizarre aliens taking the place of normally decent people. But that's just to say that culture shock may not affect us as much as others.

But back to the original question. Does anyone know how Yanks tend to fare in OZ? Thanks for any reply!
Welcome aboard Clueless

I cannot vouch for the rest of Oz but in Perth most nationalities are accepted. In my workplace I think about 50 % are foriegn by birth and that doesn't count the 1st generations.

Your bound to catch some stick for being a Yank but that's what being a Yank is all about (your even Yank bashing). If it gets too bad learn the Queens English, turn down the volume, and pretend to be a Canadian..

As far as Bible belt is concerned I think Australia has more religeous activities etc than the UK but not quite as much as home.

Keel
Old Dec 9th 2004, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

No problems for me taking the yank bashing, I just wonder how our kids would be treated at school. Maybe we'd better enroll them in Karate before we head over.

Since the British and even Aussies are our partners in crime in the Mid-East, I'm not sure what their angle is on yank bashing (though I completely understand for the rest of the world). Ah well, even in the US I'm bashed as a yank (actually a Yankee, not being from the south).

Definitely food for thought though.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough

Clueless

Judging by your comments and your british style self effacing (is that the right word?)humour you will fit in just fine.
There are more brits than ozzies here anyway!!!
Nick
Old Dec 9th 2004, 12:28 pm
Dancing Queen

Lucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the rough

No problems for me taking the yank bashing, I just wonder how our kids would be treated at school. Maybe we'd better enroll them in Karate before we head over.

Since the British and even Aussies are our partners in crime in the Mid-East, I'm not sure what their angle is on yank bashing (though I completely understand for the rest of the world). Ah well, even in the US I'm bashed as a yank (actually a Yankee, not being from the south).

Definitely food for thought though.
Hi CY

Good on you, you are probably one of the most refreshing Yanks that has posted on here for some time.

If you read back on some previously Americans are not popular with the British (we will leave it there shall we)! In any walk of life if you are able to take the rough with the smooth and have a giggle you will have a brilliant time.

My Father-in-Law is Scottish and has lived in Oz for over 20 years, he loves the political incorrectness of the county, it always made me laugh that in the States you can't show a bare bum on TV, yet you can go to a shop, buy a gun and blow somebody's head off.

You kids will adapt fine if they are like you, if people are up for it and willing to go with the flow Auzzie's will accept you. The term "Whinging Pom" came from the British that emigrated and expected it to be like England but hotter, that is far from the truth, there is a lot of American influnce such as the TV, but you can at least get Eastenders on cable (Phew)!

Regards

Lucy
Old Dec 9th 2004, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lucyemma5
In any walk of life if you are able to take the rough with the smooth and have a giggle you will have a brilliant time.
What a wonderful line! And how true.

Unfortunately my kids are too much like me for their own good. They were recently brought to the Principals office at school for repeating the lyrics of Greenday's "American Idiot" to their class mates.

The principal asked me if I thought the words "can you hear the sound of hysteria? Subliminal mind-F**k America" were appropriate. I answered that unfortunately they were entirely appropriate. Honk!! - wrong answer. And after a wait list of 2 years...

I love the idea of political incorrectness down under - that's encouraging.

Last edited by Clueless Yank; Dec 9th 2004 at 1:16 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

doodle is on a distinguished road

Hi,

We're not Americans but have lived in Southern California for 6 years. We are Brits, and we are moving to Perth next year. I have three teenage girls ages 14, 16 and 18 so they are mostly Americanized I think ! I'm also trying to get some idea about the culture especially as my kids think of America as home. They dont really remember the UK as much as I would like to think they should. I think that my husband and myself will be in for a bit of a culture shock for sure! I know that most shops close early, around 6pm and dont open on Sundays, cars are more expensive than the US, houses cheaper than S, California etc. I am going to send my 14 and 16 year old to the International School of Perth which has an American curriculum and is based on US/northern hemisphere holiday schedules. This should make our move smoother because if the kids are happy, everyone is happy .
Old Dec 9th 2004, 1:27 pm
Dancing Queen

Lucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the rough

What a wonderful line! And how true.

Unfortunately my kids are too much like me for their own good. They were recently brought to the Principals office at school for repeating the lyrics of Greenday's "American Idiot" to their class mates.

The principal asked me if I thought the words "can you hear the sound of hysteria? Subliminal mind-F**k America" were appropriate. I answered that unfortunately they were entirely appropriate. Honk!! - wrong answer. And after a wait list of 2 years...

I love the idea of political incorrectness down under - that's encouraging.
I haven't met many American's that will take the piss out of themselves, most Americans' are very insular and only interested in what goes on in their country. I think it would be a good move for you and your family as you seem up for a challenge.

The Brits as a whole are a good bunch of people, I am sure you have many stereotypes about us as we do about the Yanks, Billy Connolly told a very good joke on his NZ tour, it went something like:

There were 2 British, 2 Welsh, 2 Irish and 2 Scottish people shipwrecked on a desert island.

The 2 Scottish people started making their own distillery
The 2 welsh people started their own choir
The 2 Irish people were still fighting on the beach
The 2 English people were still in the sea, waiting to be formally introduced!

It's all true (honest)!
Old Dec 9th 2004, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

rlhume is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey clueless,

I'm originally from the UK but spent a number of years living in
your ol' country (NJ & PA) I worked in NYC so here's some of
my thoughts on your pending move. My son (he's 11 now)
had 4 yrs education in the US and now 2 yrs in OZ and I can
honestly say that the US is head and shoulders above OZ,
seriously, he's just finished 6th grade in a state school and
he's been doing work he was doing in 3rd and 4th grade in
NJ & PA. The school system he was used to in the US was very
structured, that is he had a weekly timetable etc... and the
range of his school sports activities were amazing and very
well organized. Here, certaining in the QLD state schools
we've seen there's no structure, some days they do math
some days they don't, he's not had a single book report to
do in the 2 yrs he's been in school here, when I ask about
issues like this I'm told the education authority believe that
the child should not be taught in the "old fashioned" way but
should be learning by "questioning and exploration", for me
that's a pile of crap, we bought books and home school my
son for a couple of hours when he gets back from school,
he's not happy but, why waste the great start he got, just
as an example, ask any Aussie 7th grader to name the 7
continents and let me know your results As you can tell
I'm not to happy with the OZ ed. system and this has
probably been our only regret moving here. Prior to moving
I did some research and we had 2 trips to OZ where we
checked out a number schools etc.. each one showed work
my son would be doing, I've yet to see any of it.

Now on to the more mundane issues -

I worked very hard in the UK/USA and managed to put myself in
the position where I didn't need to work when I came to OZ but
I've scanned the papers, on-line agencies etc .. just to see
what I could make here and the salaries are lower,
considering how costly housing is I can't see how your joe
average can comfortably survive, after saying that the housing
bubble has burst so they may come down to a more realistic
level.

Job wise, I read that unemployment is at it's lowest level here
for many years and there's a skills shortage in many states, if
you are a tradesman, plumber, construction etc.. you'll walk
straight into a job.

Money, I read another poster say Aussie's love money, well I'd
agree with that, especially if it's your's that being handed over
and they love to spend it judging by the new cars and boats,
however, it's all credit driven, OZ has the highest personal
debt level in the world and the government also holds one of
the highest foreign debt levels.

You'll find the same system of government as in the US, there's
a federal government and state governments, I don't know
if it's modelled on the US but it's the same, that is once you
cross state lines you're under different laws.

What you can get, OZ population is 10 times smaller that the
US and you can tell, things you take for granted are not
readily available here, or they simply weren't introduced .
We ship from the UK and US when we can't get it here,
for example I needed a replacement cradle for my palm
and the model was never sold here so I ended up having it
shipped from compUSA and, especially the medications
you've been used to in the US are no where near as good
here, we ship them also (bring loads of neosporin nothing
like it here). After saying this we're not silly, we knew OZ
is a much smaller country and we anticipated little frustrations
like this. If you decide to move here, bring ALL your electrical
goods, I know your 110V and it's 240V here but you can get
transformers easy so no problem, I say this as I think electrical
goods are expensive and the choice is limited, in fact I'd
pay for shipping and bring everything, might cost a few
thousand bucks but that's what couple of decent beds will
cost you here.

Green Australia, what a load of crap this is, OZ might like
to portray a green acting nation to the world but it ain't,
I once heard OZ described as a "dig it up and sell it" country
and that's true, mining is HUGE here, coal is used to fire
power stations and OZ along with the US are the only two
countries NOT to sign up to the Kyoto agreement which
plan to cut greenhouse gases. I bought a small piece of
timber at a local hardware store and I got three, that's right
three pieces of paper for the transaction, 1, debit card receipt,
2, register receipt and 3 an A4 sheet to hand over to the timber
yard before I got my small piece of wood. I suppose it could
because technology's a bit behind here that E signature pads
haven't quite made it yet.

Climate, We live in Queensland which for you will be Florida,
it's the holiday state and has one of the worlds natural
wonders, that is the Barrier Reef, a truly awesome place
which is now under strict protection, I hope the governments
efforts to save it are successful. In the southern states
you'll see 4 seasons and although I've never lived in Melbourne
for any length of time but I believe the joke is that you can see
the 4 season in one day (hee hee). You can ski in winter but
as crazy as it seems it's cheaper to go to New Zealand to ski
unless you live near the slopes here in OZ.

You mentioned being accepted as a Yank, don't worry at all
about this, OZ is a multicultural country, in fact finding an Aussie
in some city areas is difficult .

You also mentioned your bible belt concerns, trust me, OZ is
nothing like you're used to. I screwd up at many a dinner in
the US saying grace with a mouthful, you won't have that
problem here.

One HUGE thing we miss a about the US is the holidays that
were celebrated with such enthusiasm, 4th July, easter,
halloween and christmas ......... here in OZ there really is
nothing done with great gusto, it's christmas now and you'd
be hard pushed to know it.

Health care, there is a public health system here which you
have a small co-pay, if you're used to private care then you'll
find the public system here very frustrating, for example you
have to wait weeks, sometimes months before you can see
a specialists or get surgery. However, there is private health
care available.

I've just realised how much I've rabbited on, in closing, Australia
is an BIG awesome country, it has natural wonders that take your
breath away. We have, and still are settling in, it's not been
an easy journey. Someone on this forum once described the move
to OZ as "same shit, shiniery bucket" I totally agree with that
statement. Would I move back to the US, yes, unfortunately
my green card is now out of status so I can't, however, I'm
determined that OZ will be my families home, so much so we
start applying for citizenship at the end of this month. Would
I recommend you moving here, yes, bottom line after 5 years
you don't like you can alway move back.

I wish you and your family the best of luck.

Bob
Old Dec 9th 2004, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

doodle is on a distinguished road

Hi Bob,

very interesting read. As we are moving from California to Perth next year I am very happy to read that you recommend bringing electrical stuff. This should save us a fortune. Any info on bringing TVs, would they work? Also washing machine/dryer? My husband says that we should buy what ever we can over here before we go and pack our container to the brim!
Old Dec 9th 2004, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Lucey,

I'm not sure "taking the piss" out of ones government and (some) countrymen is as luadible as taking it out on yourself, but thanks for the kind words. Actually I've spent quite a bit of time with various Brits on trips to Europe and have to say I enjoyed them to a person. That's another attraction to Oz for me.

Bob,

Thanks for your very informative post. The aforementioned school our kids have been attending is a private school that's well regarded for their academic standards, and our kids seem to be flourishing there (behavioral incompatibilities aside). They were bored silly in their previous public school, to the point of almost complete non-participation. Not that it mattered in terms of academics since Dr Suess play rehearsals and in class Disney movies seemed to be the curriculum.

Are all the schools based on these new age "standards" or can you still find the odd 3R approach in some private schools? That could be a huge negative for us.

As for jobs, I'm also in the position where I won't have to immediately work for a couple years, but figure the best course of action is to find a business to buy or start my own. I don't have a trades background at all, having had mostly executive level jobs in high tech, advertising, and now building materials for the last 15 years. Again, not expecting to find this kind of work there, starting a business seems like my best bet. I'm sure I could find a fellow expat happy to take it over when its time to retire.

I'm thinking about moving near Melbourn to initially find more affordable housing, and be near a good business community. Also, it seems to me to be a better environment for the kids than the sunnier bar crazy binge drinking destinations, though I'm not even sure how I concluded this. LOL

It's interesting that you mention the electronics, since I was basically planning to sell everything and move there - given the incredible expense of shipping from the US. Also, I'd be nervous operating some of my high end home theater gear on transformers. But it's something I'll obviously have to look into more.

The holiday thing does seem odd, but being so far away from the rest of our family actually might make it easier on us. My wife is French, and she's always a bit vexed by the attention given to holidays here. But then again she's vexed by lots of things American, and I'm sure it won't turn to bliss by moving to OZ.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 6:20 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there, just thought I'd chime in that I'm a Yank whose spent a year & a half living in Australia (mainly Perth) - I'm heading back in February!!!

As everyone has already given you excellent information, I don't feel like I have too much to add... other than come with an open mind, and be prepared for some differences.

I generally found that most Aussies are quite accepting of Yanks (with a few friendly "seppo" jokes thrown in). You will however meet the occasional person who will decide that the fact that you are American is a perfect excuse for them to bore you with a one-sided discussion of how evil "America" is (and often how horrible Americans are! :scared: ) - not caring whether you agree or not! I've lived in many countries, and in my experience Australia was the worst for this - but then again, I was there during and post-9/11 (which may have made a difference) & I'm also the type to just listen quietly and not to cause a fuss - so I'm probably a bit of an "easy target". Again, I will emphasise that an "extremely" small minority of Australians I met were like this, the majority seem to be very open-minded & accepting.

Good luck!

-Sara.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.