Manly schools

Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:11 am
Just Joined

kimbilly67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Manly schools

I'm new to this so I hope I'm doing it right!? My family is moving to the Manly area in Brisbane in the new year. I have been doing research on State schools and think I would like to get my 7 year old into Manly State School but have been told by the school that I need to be in the catchment area. I haven't been able to get much information on Manly West S.S. Does anyone have any information or opinions on schools in that area - specifically Manly West/Manly? Any insights would be most welcome!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:38 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Manly schools

Have you seen the map for the catchment areas ?
http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/...s/manly-ss.pdf

Have a look at the Manly West State school forum, it may allow access to non parents, but I haven't looked.
http://www.manlwestss.eq.edu.au/modu...ums&file=index

Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Have you seen the map for the catchment areas ?
http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/...s/manly-ss.pdf

Have a look at the Manly West State school forum, it may allow access to non parents, but I haven't looked.
http://www.manlwestss.eq.edu.au/modu...ums&file=index
I have seen the catcment map (but couldn't find one for Manly west). I'm really looking for anyone with knowledge of the schools and/or kids at one of the schools. I'm wondering if I am being too narrow in my view by limiting myself to Manly SS. Also having trouble finding a suitable rental in the Manly catchment and it would be easier if I could look in other zones. But of course we want the best for our kids...what to do!?!?
Old Dec 17th 2008, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kimbilly67
I'm new to this so I hope I'm doing it right!? My family is moving to the Manly area in Brisbane in the new year. I have been doing research on State schools and think I would like to get my 7 year old into Manly State School but have been told by the school that I need to be in the catchment area. I haven't been able to get much information on Manly West S.S. Does anyone have any information or opinions on schools in that area - specifically Manly West/Manly? Any insights would be most welcome!
My kids used to go to Manly SS and they are very strict on the catchment area, you have to take in your rates notice to prove where you live. The downside is they have very large classes as it is very popular.

Stitch who comes on here will be able to answer your questions about Manly West as her kids go there. She has just moved house so might not have the internet up and running so PM her in case she misses this thread!

Let me know if you need anymore info!

Jo
Old Dec 17th 2008, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Thanks Jo, we had a rental in the catchment but it fell through and am having trouble finding another. Would like to look in Manly west for a house but would like to know moreabout the school. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never been on a forum before...how do I PM? (Don't laugh!!)
Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Thanks Jo, we had a rental in the catchment but it fell through and am having trouble finding another. Would like to look in Manly west for a house but would like to know moreabout the school. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never been on a forum before...how do I PM? (Don't laugh!!)
No worries!! We've all got to start somewhere and I'm not exactly an expert myself!! PM means Private Message and you will find the link in the top right hand corner of your screen. I'll send you a message.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:04 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen the catcment map (but couldn't find one for Manly west). I'm really looking for anyone with knowledge of the schools and/or kids at one of the schools. I'm wondering if I am being too narrow in my view by limiting myself to Manly SS. Also having trouble finding a suitable rental in the Manly catchment and it would be easier if I could look in other zones. But of course we want the best for our kids...what to do!?!?
Manly West SS does have a managed enrollment plan which includes a catchment area, but the school is not currently oversubscribed, so the plan does not need to be enforced.

The Manly SS catchment is enforced because the school is full and because it is on a very small site, there is not really room for expansion. One of the downsides at Manly SS is that they have to stagger the breaks times for the upper and lower halves of the school otherwise there is not enough play space.

Both schools are good, as is Wondall Heights, but our boys are at Manly West SS and I am president of the P&C there, so can probably help you with any specific questions. Stitch has children at the school and so does HKDaggers.

Nearly all the schools in and around Wynnum and Manly are part of a major upgrade (State Schools of Tomorrow) which will see a brand new state high school being built next year 2009. When one of the existing high schools moves to the new site (2010), the old site is being refurbished to house three of the state schools to the north of Wynnum and they relocate there in 2011.
Meanwhile, the other schools in the cluster are undergoing a range of refurbishments, allegedly starting in Jan and finishing by mid year. Manly West is getting a brand new admin block, a new resource centre (library), a new tuckshop/uniform shop, new toilets, a new covered parade ground (with built in stage). One of the existing classroom blocks is undergoing major refurbish, one is getting minor refurbish and one is being buldozed and replaced with a brand new bock of 4 (or maybe 8) rooms.

It is worth also looking at what else the school offers. Manly West has its own pool and an active swimming club - Manly kids come up and use our pool, but I do not know if they get to swim as often as our kids. Also, we have a very good before/after/vacation care centre attached to the school which might be an important consideration if you will both be working.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DagBoy
Manly West SS does have a managed enrollment plan which includes a catchment area, but the school is not currently oversubscribed, so the plan does not need to be enforced.

The Manly SS catchment is enforced because the school is full and because it is on a very small site, there is not really room for expansion. One of the downsides at Manly SS is that they have to stagger the breaks times for the upper and lower halves of the school otherwise there is not enough play space.

Both schools are good, as is Wondall Heights, but our boys are at Manly West SS and I am president of the P&C there, so can probably help you with any specific questions. Stitch has children at the school and so does HKDaggers.

Nearly all the schools in and around Wynnum and Manly are part of a major upgrade (State Schools of Tomorrow) which will see a brand new state high school being built next year 2009. When one of the existing high schools moves to the new site (2010), the old site is being refurbished to house three of the state schools to the north of Wynnum and they relocate there in 2011.
Meanwhile, the other schools in the cluster are undergoing a range of refurbishments, allegedly starting in Jan and finishing by mid year. Manly West is getting a brand new admin block, a new resource centre (library), a new tuckshop/uniform shop, new toilets, a new covered parade ground (with built in stage). One of the existing classroom blocks is undergoing major refurbish, one is getting minor refurbish and one is being buldozed and replaced with a brand new bock of 4 (or maybe 8) rooms.

It is worth also looking at what else the school offers. Manly West has its own pool and an active swimming club - Manly kids come up and use our pool, but I do not know if they get to swim as often as our kids. Also, we have a very good before/after/vacation care centre attached to the school which might be an important consideration if you will both be working.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Thanks so much DagBoy! Great information, just what I was looking for. We now have a house in the Manly catchment area so it looks like we have two good options. Doesn't Manly SS have an after school hours onsite too?
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:56 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much DagBoy! Great information, just what I was looking for. We now have a house in the Manly catchment area so it looks like we have two good options. Doesn't Manly SS have an after school hours onsite too?
It might have - I don't know. I have never actually been to Manly SS, though I do know the principal and their P&C president through the schools of tomorrow stuff. I do not know what refurbishments or building work is planned for them either, but I assume they will be getting something.

Cheers,
DagBoy