Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Manheim auctions

Manheim auctions

Old Jul 28th 2011, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of
Default Manheim auctions

Hi all,
I'm in the market for a used car. A colleague of mine told about Manheim auctions in Altona, Is it worth looking at

I was reading their website and it seems there's a pleathora of admin fees and other fees. Do we really get cheap deals in Manheim or the overall costs and headaches of attending auctions/other appointments during work hours will cost much more.. I generally prefer private deals at carsales dot com dot au.

Anyone has first hand experience at Auctions. What different in buying in auctions.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manheim auctions

you can get a good deal at an auction, but if you are more comfortable buying privately I would go for that.

At an auction, you don't get much chance to inspect the car, so you need to go with someone who knows about cars (we took a mechanic friend). And you need to pay cash generally but sometimes they allow a cash deposit then BPAY (check website for payment terms, as they change sometimes).

Can't remember all fees but there is usually something like a 10/11pct auction house fee.

Hubby used to use Fowles (pre Manheim) for lots of building stuff like wood, and always was very happy with his deals but you do have to know what you are doing....much like when you buy a house at auction.