Mandurah

Old Nov 14th 2003, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough
Default Mandurah

We have friends who emigrated there 10 yrs ago and have never looked back since.
Anyone else on here who is living in that area or has visited it?
As this will be our 1st destination your thoughts and views would be most apreciated

Thankyou
Claire
Old Nov 15th 2003, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Claire,

We arrived in Mandurah September 2002 and have no regrets so far. There aren't as many facilities here as there would be in Perth, but you want to see the traffic there! We have everything here that we need, I think, I guess you can't miss the things you don't know about! When we first arrived there were some things we missed from England, but that would have been the case whatever Aussie town we had moved to. The kids settled in at school fine, we have all made friends, and life here seems pretty "normal". The city of Mandurah is expanding rapidly and we have seen changes even in the short time that we've been here. Mandurah has just been voted joint top tourist destination in WA and there are plenty more developments in the pipeline for the city. Not so good if you work in IT (like my hubby who has to communicate to Perth daily) but the journey will be easier once the train line is in. There are plenty of activities organised by the council during school holidays and at Xmas. The beaches are clean and usually pretty deserted. The main shopping centre is good, the shops down by the foreshore could do with being modernised but that will probably happen in time.

There are others on this board who live in Mandurah, some don't post here anymore, but I know at least three families from here who live in the same suburb as me, Paula M, Pablo Picasso and the infamous Baldbutts! We have British families living opposite and next-door but one, the Poms are everywhere!

There should be plenty of Poms getting together for the New Year's pageant held at the foreshore on New Year's Eve. The place was heaving with locals there last year, with picnics and drinks, no-one singing Auld Lang Syne though! If there is anyone new to Mandurah who will be around then and is worried about being the only family there who doesn't know a soul, then PM me and we'll see if we can organise an Expats meet-up and get you acquainted with fellow newbies.
Old Nov 15th 2003, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Hi Jacqui
Thankyou for your reply and info, and glad that you and your family have settled in so well and have no regrets.
Everything that we have seen and heard about Mandaruh so far
all seem to be exactly what we would be looking for to start our new life.
We are shipping our boat over there as we are all into our waterports,fishing and anything to do with water activites.
My husbands a BT engineer he is abit concerned about work,he is not afraid to change his skills but wonders what the work situation is like in the area?
Also i am curious if the school system is the same over there as it is here in what ages do the chidren move up to high school?

Thanx again
Claire

www.seviour.eclipse.co.uk

Our boat..think we need to invest in sun canopy for it
Old Nov 15th 2003, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Mick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Claire, You say your husband is a BT engineer,me too,trying to get out on the independent skilled visa, early stages. I,ve been doing a bit of delving & a friend in Melbourne who works for Telstra says there are plenty of comms firms out there since the deregulation,(similar to what happened to BT 10 years ago). He stated the obvious saying the bulk of the work is in Melb & Sydney Other than Telstra your hubby could consider Optus & Vodaphone, apparently UK backed.The smaller companies tend to concentrate on specIfic areas,probably WA. I'll just write to all the comm firms & hope for the best when/if i get there ,if no success litter patrol at Macs it is then . Good luck,Mick.
Old Nov 15th 2003, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Jacqui

have sent you a pm, we love the look of mandurah & must say it looks like just what we are after. We land on 31/12/03 - so would be up for a get together on the foreshore - we are staying at halls head, mandurah - how far are we away from the festivities?

cheers

pockygoes
Old Nov 15th 2003, 9:51 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mandurah

Originally posted by Madhouse!
We have friends who emigrated there 10 yrs ago and have never looked back since.
Anyone else on here who is living in that area or has visited it?
As this will be our 1st destination your thoughts and views would be most apreciated

Thankyou
Claire

We're committed to Adelaide but as the daughter is going to uni in Freo we went to have a look at Perth & environs a couple of months ago. In general we decided that we'd made the right decision but we did rather fall for Mandurah. If we were ever going to head for WA then there's no doubt that it would be the target.

Only two possible downers - we saw it out of season, great then but looks like it may heave a bit come the summer and property was well and truly on the upward curve. Very nice if you're there already but bargains are getting hard to come by.....

KC
Old Nov 16th 2003, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

paula m is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we have lived in Mandurah for the past 18 months and think it is the best place you could possibley live. Just to add we have a house in Mandurah in Halls head and we rent it out to people migrating . It is fully equitped and we look after you well if interested I can send pics etc.
Email me on
[email protected]
we have vacancies from the 23rd jan, booked untill then
Old Nov 16th 2003, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Mick
Hi Claire, You say your husband is a BT engineer,me too,trying to get out on the independent skilled visa, early stages. I,ve been doing a bit of delving & a friend in Melbourne who works for Telstra says there are plenty of comms firms out there since the deregulation,(similar to what happened to BT 10 years ago). He stated the obvious saying the bulk of the work is in Melb & Sydney Other than Telstra your hubby could consider Optus & Vodaphone, apparently UK backed.The smaller companies tend to concentrate on specIfic areas,probably WA. I'll just write to all the comm firms & hope for the best when/if i get there ,if no success litter patrol at Macs it is then . Good luck,Mick.
Hi Mick
Hubby has started looking into the work status and has sent a few letters off, no reply as of yet. Will keep you posted if anything comes up!
And like u say if all else fails litter patrol at Macs does'nt sound too bad haha

Good luck to u2
Claire
Old Nov 16th 2003, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by paula m
Hi we have lived in Mandurah for the past 18 months and think it is the best place you could possibley live. Just to add we have a house in Mandurah in Halls head and we rent it out to people migrating . It is fully equitped and we look after you well if interested I can send pics etc.
Email me on
[email protected]
we have vacancies from the 23rd jan, booked untill then
Hi Paula
Our friends also live in Halls head, We will be staying with them for a few weeks or untill our dog comes out of quarantine.
Then we need to look for rented accomandation as they have cats. Do you rent your house out on long or short term lease as we would be looking at staying there until our Bond money is released. The other big question is do you allow dogs??

Claire
Old Nov 16th 2003, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

paula m is an unknown quantity at this point

we would definatly discuss both options with you so email me nearer the time. we are really set up for short term as the house is fully equipted and furnished. having said that my mum has a house she lets and i have lots of conections so am sure we could sort you out so just let me know.
Paula
Old Nov 17th 2003, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by paula m
we would definatly discuss both options with you so email me nearer the time. we are really set up for short term as the house is fully equipted and furnished. having said that my mum has a house she lets and i have lots of conections so am sure we could sort you out so just let me know.
Paula
Ok Paula thankyou i apreciate that alot, were hopeing to be there by next july (ish) so have a little way to go yet.
Look forward to meeting up with you all at the foreshore for next new year
Old Jul 12th 2004, 3:15 pm
Shaun&MIchelle

michellecarre is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jacqui
Hi Claire,

We arrived in Mandurah September 2002 and have no regrets so far. There aren't as many facilities here as there would be in Perth, but you want to see the traffic there! We have everything here that we need, I think, I guess you can't miss the things you don't know about! When we first arrived there were some things we missed from England, but that would have been the case whatever Aussie town we had moved to. The kids settled in at school fine, we have all made friends, and life here seems pretty "normal". The city of Mandurah is expanding rapidly and we have seen changes even in the short time that we've been here. Mandurah has just been voted joint top tourist destination in WA and there are plenty more developments in the pipeline for the city. Not so good if you work in IT (like my hubby who has to communicate to Perth daily) but the journey will be easier once the train line is in. There are plenty of activities organised by the council during school holidays and at Xmas. The beaches are clean and usually pretty deserted. The main shopping centre is good, the shops down by the foreshore could do with being modernised but that will probably happen in time.

There are others on this board who live in Mandurah, some don't post here anymore, but I know at least three families from here who live in the same suburb as me, Paula M, Pablo Picasso and the infamous Baldbutts! We have British families living opposite and next-door but one, the Poms are everywhere!

There should be plenty of Poms getting together for the New Year's pageant held at the foreshore on New Year's Eve. The place was heaving with locals there last year, with picnics and drinks, no-one singing Auld Lang Syne though! If there is anyone new to Mandurah who will be around then and is worried about being the only family there who doesn't know a soul, then PM me and we'll see if we can organise an Expats meet-up and get you acquainted with fellow newbies.
Nice to hear positive things about Mandurah, we are in the process of trying to immigration at the moment. My husband is an electrician, looking at the amount of development at the moment we are hoping that there is plenty of electrical work around Mandurah, any ideas?
Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:41 pm
donjlewis

Question Help Mandurah!

Hi,

I am moving across to Oz but have to complete my contract (Army) here first. I have sold our house and now looking to re-invest in Mandurah and renting out until we move across (2007). Would I get hit with stamp duty, tax and anything else that could pop up in the way of my dream? Any info or advice would be great. Great forum atmosphere by the way.

Don

Old Jul 12th 2004, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to go to Mandurah all the time as a kid as my Grandparents used to live there....

My fondest memory of Mandurah was going mud crabbing.....Can you still get the best "Muddies" in the world there????
Old Jul 12th 2004, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mandurah

Hi all

we too are heading to Mandurah, hopefully early November. We would love to come to the beach on New years Eve, (will PM you nearer the time).

See you all soon.

Lindsey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.