British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Mandatory Covid Vaccine (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/mandatory-covid-vaccine-934578/)

chippy Aug 31st 2020 7:54 pm

Mandatory Covid Vaccine
 
I'm not so sure they will impose mandatory Covid vaccines in general, but I have a horrible feeling that they may make it compulsory for entry into Australia, including for returning citizens. And if they did how would they impose it? Would they say you can't even board the plane at your point of departure? This is worrying. Any thoughts or insights anyone?

Pulaski Aug 31st 2020 9:07 pm

Re: Mandatory Covid Vaccine
 
Do you have any evidence, other than your own paranoia, that a vaccine would be made mandatory? :unsure:

andyrebell Aug 31st 2020 9:39 pm

Re: Mandatory Covid Vaccine
 

Originally Posted by chippy (Post 12904052)
I'm not so sure they will impose mandatory Covid vaccines in general, but I have a horrible feeling that they may make it compulsory for entry into Australia, including for returning citizens. And if they did how would they impose it? Would they say you can't even board the plane at your point of departure? This is worrying. Any thoughts or insights anyone?

I have never been to Australia but surely they cannot deny their own citizens re-entry into the country if they refuse the vaccine or had not been vaccinated before leaving?

NickyC Aug 31st 2020 9:55 pm

Re: Mandatory Covid Vaccine
 
They cannot and would not deny entry to citizens.

I would imagine the most likely scenario is vaccine (and prove it) OR - just like currently - you go into compulsory, expensive quarantine on arrival.




louie Sep 1st 2020 12:41 am

Re: Mandatory Covid Vaccine
 

Originally Posted by NickyC (Post 12904104)
They cannot and would not deny entry to citizens.

But the airlines could refuse to carry you unless you had been vaccinated.

themerlin Sep 1st 2020 5:58 am

Re: Mandatory Covid Vaccine
 
I would also see issues with travel insurance if you don't get vaccinated. So get vaccinated.

chippy Sep 1st 2020 6:52 am

Re: Mandatory Covid Vaccine
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12904085)
Do you have any evidence, other than your own paranoia, that a vaccine would be made mandatory? :unsure:

Clearly, you do not read Australian media.

chippy Sep 1st 2020 6:54 am

Re: Mandatory Covid Vaccine
 

Originally Posted by louie (Post 12904145)
But the airlines could refuse to carry you unless you had been vaccinated.

Exactly, and this is the way I think it might go...

chippy Sep 1st 2020 7:01 am

Re: Mandatory Covid Vaccine
 

Originally Posted by themerlin (Post 12904204)
I would also see issues with travel insurance if you don't get vaccinated. So get vaccinated.

Yes, I get that this is the simple way through. Thing is, I have zero trust in this new vaccine, and have no intention of getting it, but being stuck in London atm, I don't want to get myself into a situation where I literally can't get back home, ever.

Timmy Chch Sep 1st 2020 7:43 am

Re: Mandatory Covid Vaccine
 
Got covered here last week https://www.news.com.au/national/can...6404121706dbb9

Pulaski Sep 1st 2020 2:14 pm

Re: Mandatory Covid Vaccine
 

Originally Posted by chippy (Post 12904208)
Clearly, you do not read Australian media.

So Australian media is an island of objective, fact-based reporting, not opinion pieces and politically skewed claptrap that has become the norm in most of the rest of the English-speaking world? :confused:

Maybe I should look to Australian media for my news reports? :unsure:

Beoz Sep 2nd 2020 5:48 am

Re: Mandatory Covid Vaccine
 

Originally Posted by chippy (Post 12904212)
Yes, I get that this is the simple way through. Thing is, I have zero trust in this new vaccine, and have no intention of getting it, but being stuck in London atm, I don't want to get myself into a situation where I literally can't get back home, ever.

Which vaccine don't you trust? There are 150 in development, none of which are available to Australians.

Australia already mandates vaccines for child care attendance in most states unless the child has a medical reason not to. Mandating is not new.

The anti vaxxer movement is a very selfish movement. The idea behind vaccination is to provide enough of the population with anti bodies so a disease dies out. It's not about the individual and their pro choice ideals, it's about everyone else.

louie Sep 2nd 2020 6:13 am

Re: Mandatory Covid Vaccine
 

Originally Posted by chippy (Post 12904212)
Yes, I get that this is the simple way through. Thing is, I have zero trust in this new vaccine, and have no intention of getting it, but being stuck in London atm, I don't want to get myself into a situation where I literally can't get back home, ever.

As somebody who might be on the plane with unvaccinated you, I'd be delighted if the airlines banned anyone who has not been vaccinated (obviously assuming we one day have an effective, safe and freely available vaccine).

Pollyana Sep 2nd 2020 12:59 pm

Re: Mandatory Covid Vaccine
 

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12904717)
Which vaccine don't you trust? There are 150 in development, none of which are available to Australians.

Australia already mandates vaccines for child care attendance in most states unless the child has a medical reason not to. Mandating is not new.

The anti vaxxer movement is a very selfish movement. The idea behind vaccination is to provide enough of the population with anti bodies so a disease dies out. It's not about the individual and their pro choice ideals, it's about everyone else.


Please bear in mid that there are also medical reasons why some people do not wish to be cannot be vaccinated. Nor everyone is an "anti-vaxxer" - some people just want to msintain there exiting level of health without a greater risk.

chippy Sep 2nd 2020 9:29 pm

Re: Mandatory Covid Vaccine
 

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12904717)
Which vaccine don't you trust? There are 150 in development, none of which are available to Australians.

Australia already mandates vaccines for child care attendance in most states unless the child has a medical reason not to. Mandating is not new.

The anti vaxxer movement is a very selfish movement. The idea behind vaccination is to provide enough of the population with anti bodies so a disease dies out. It's not about the individual and their pro choice ideals, it's about everyone else.

Yes, as you say, they do mandate for childcare, but there is not a general mandate saying, "all children must be vaccinate no matter what". If they said, "everyone must have the Covid vaccination", then that would indeed be a new level of mandating.

Given the comment you have made about anti-vaxxer's, I think it likely that your level of research into the matter is rather shallow.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:24 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.