Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Maldives stopover

Maldives stopover

Old May 8th 2004, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Maldives stopover

Hi
We have been trying to sort out our tickets and we may fly with Emirates as they have said they will give us 50KG per person.
We asked them about stopovers and they can offer singapore or Dubai but they said that we can also have the Maldives and it would not cost us too much.

Anyone ever been there or do you have any other suggestions where we could go for about a week on the way to Brisbane. Not interested in Dubai though.

Thanks
Debs
Old May 8th 2004, 7:02 am
Application in!

Andy66 is an unknown quantity at this point

We had our honeymoon in the Maldives - two weeks on two different islands - Full Moon and Nakatchafushi.

The most amazing place I have ever been to - service is amazing and it really is, "no news, no shoes". If you are going to have loads of luggage then you might want to stick quite close to Male, as some of the islands can be a long journey by boat or seaplane. (They might not be able to take your bags on the plane)

I don't think there are any "duff" resorts, but the costs vary widely with the more upmarket ones.

I would recommend either of the two resorts mentioned above, but they are quite different. F Moon is quite "developed" whereas Nakatcha was much more "desert island"

I think it's one of those places that you must go if you get the chance - gorgeous.

Andy
Old May 8th 2004, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Andy66
We had our honeymoon in the Maldives - two weeks on two different islands - Full Moon and Nakatchafushi.

The most amazing place I have ever been to - service is amazing and it really is, "no news, no shoes". If you are going to have loads of luggage then you might want to stick quite close to Male, as some of the islands can be a long journey by boat or seaplane. (They might not be able to take your bags on the plane)

I don't think there are any "duff" resorts, but the costs vary widely with the more upmarket ones.

I would recommend either of the two resorts mentioned above, but they are quite different. F Moon is quite "developed" whereas Nakatcha was much more "desert island"

I think it's one of those places that you must go if you get the chance - gorgeous.

Andy
Thanks Andy
How long is the flight from Singapore - do you know? We have got two children though and we will have 200kg of luggage
Old May 8th 2004, 7:14 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maldives stopover

Was in the Maldives last October for my birthday and to go diving with manatas

Apart from 1 or 2 islands it is a resort per island, with various budgets to suit. Depends on time of year which area of islands are better (esp for diving). If more than 1hr boat ride from airport (which is its own island) would recommend a plane transfer, but you may have probs with all that luggage.

Watch out for extras - alcohol has to be imported, but the weak US$ should help a bit. You can get islands that are fully inclusive (incl alcohol) but need to ensure the extra you pay upfront you use when there.

We stayed at Bandos, full board (paid extra for restaurant rather than buffet for a few nights), has a creche, reef close to the beach (ie not a boat trip like some islands). It is one of the largest islands (but can still walk round it in less than 30mins ) and has more facilites than other. The further away from the airport you stay the less choice of food there is.

If you want somewhere to chill out then it is a good place.
Old May 8th 2004, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by walaj
Was in the Maldives last October for my birthday and to go diving with manatas

Apart from 1 or 2 islands it is a resort per island, with various budgets to suit. Depends on time of year which area of islands are better (esp for diving). If more than 1hr boat ride from airport (which is its own island) would recommend a plane transfer, but you may have probs with all that luggage.

Watch out for extras - alcohol has to be imported, but the weak US$ should help a bit. You can get islands that are fully inclusive (incl alcohol) but need to ensure the extra you pay upfront you use when there.

We stayed at Bandos, full board (paid extra for restaurant rather than buffet for a few nights), has a creche, reef close to the beach (ie not a boat trip like some islands). It is one of the largest islands (but can still walk round it in less than 30mins ) and has more facilites than other. The further away from the airport you stay the less choice of food there is.

If you want somewhere to chill out then it is a good place.
mmm does not really seem suitable due to loads of luggage and kids. Got any other suggestions?
Old May 8th 2004, 7:35 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by debsy
mmm does not really seem suitable due to loads of luggage and kids. Got any other suggestions?
Bandos transfer is by boat - for more details on the island see their webpage bandos
Old May 8th 2004, 8:40 am
Application in!

Andy66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Andy
How long is the flight from Singapore - do you know? We have got two children though and we will have 200kg of luggage
We went from Maldives on to Singapore and I think it was about 6 hours? Can't quite remember as it was the middle of the night!

We went with Kuoni - here is the website which will show some of the Resorts Full Moon is about 30 mins by Dhoni from Male and Nakatcha is about 30 mins by speedboat (2.5 hrs by Dhoni)

http://www.kuoni.co.uk/universal/

Cheers

Andy
Old May 8th 2004, 9:03 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Andy

hi

i had a stopover in singapore when i went to Auz. It was good, but i only stayed 2 nights, needed longer to see and do everything.......the flight from singapore to auz was only about 6 hours (i think) but it was nice flight as we got a day time flight and had had a nice nights sleep before.

I would love to go to the Maldives though, i havent been myslef but i have heard from hoonymooners its gorgeous.....

good luck

laura
xxx
Old May 8th 2004, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Andy66
We went from Maldives on to Singapore and I think it was about 6 hours? Can't quite remember as it was the middle of the night!

We went with Kuoni - here is the website which will show some of the Resorts Full Moon is about 30 mins by Dhoni from Male and Nakatcha is about 30 mins by speedboat (2.5 hrs by Dhoni)

http://www.kuoni.co.uk/universal/

Cheers

Andy
Went to Maldives FROM Singapore its a 3 1/2 hour flight
we stayed at the CLUBMED resort 25mins from the airport by boat
loved it- basic- no kids club at that one though-
lovely to snorkel, coral a bit damaged fish were great and our kids of 12+15 then loved it.
Old May 8th 2004, 9:24 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh, the Maldives!

We stopped over there in 1987, on our way to Perth.
Unfortunetly I was 5, so don't remember much!

Anyway, I think it was Bandos. Actually, I'm sure.
By boat.
Then AFTER that we flew to Singapore, and stayed there one or two nights too(my parents had money back then )

We've got a few pics of Bandos, and they are all great!
Here's one:
Attached Thumbnails Maldives stopover-1987_75_07_maldiven.jpg  
Old May 8th 2004, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

mmm 3.5 hours is not so bad. The emirates office here is really crappy so it is very difficult to find out other destinations. I would love to go via La but that would be difficult as we are flying from Istanbul and it would probably cost a fortune. Singapore are reallu helpful but they are stingy with the baggagge allowance - only let us have 30kg.

See if I can squeeze some more info out of them.
Old May 8th 2004, 9:56 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Debsy, I can thoroughly recommend Singapore, visit Sentosa Island if you do by the way. It's very humid, every hotel is air con to the max. My sister has been to the Maldives, she loved it, not a heap of stuff to do there she said but obviously the beaches for the kids are excellent. Singers is just a different world compared to what us westerners are used to. Great place, lovely food etc....
Old May 8th 2004, 10:05 am
no longer searching

Have a Maldivian sunset to celebrate my 500th post (and another star)

just over half way down you can see the big waves breaking over the edge of the reef!
Attached Thumbnails Maldives stopover-100-0057_img.jpg  
Old May 8th 2004, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about

Hi, we went to Fesdu in the maldives 2001, but was all inc so don't know break down of costs - it was absolutely gorgeous and just what we wanted at the time - ie nothing to do but snorkel dive sizzle on the beautiful beach and read loads of books - totally relaxing. If your kids are of an age where they want more activities tho, might get a bit boring for them? I loved it tho!

HB x
Old May 8th 2004, 10:25 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by walaj
Have a Maldivian sunset to celebrate my 500th post (and another star)

just over half way down you can see the big waves breaking over the edge of the reef!
Congrats
And here's sunrise(from the boat, going back to the airport)

Debsy: I'm not at all sure, but I remember something about my parents not taking all there luggage onto the island. I think they had one bag especially for the stopover, and the rest were left at the airport??????
Attached Thumbnails Maldives stopover-1987_84_0807_sunrise.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.