Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

malaysian airlines?

malaysian airlines?

Old Jun 8th 2005, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

deano will become famous soon enoughdeano will become famous soon enough
Default malaysian airlines?

has anyone flown, or due to fly with malaysian airlines? we're looking at flights to adelaide in November and they seem to be coming up the cheapest, flying via kuala lumpar (that so isn't the right spelling!)with around 5 hours in the airport so that's ok. we don't really want a stop over we just want to get the journey over and done with. we need to know about baggage allowance etc.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 6:39 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: malaysian airlines?

Originally Posted by deano
has anyone flown, or due to fly with malaysian airlines? we're looking at flights to adelaide in November and they seem to be coming up the cheapest, flying via kuala lumpar (that so isn't the right spelling!)with around 5 hours in the airport so that's ok. we don't really want a stop over we just want to get the journey over and done with. we need to know about baggage allowance etc.
I have flown to oz and back with them twice. I would go with them again. I suppose most airlines are the same now, but when I first went with them, they were one of the first with the screens in the seat ahead, and the vegetarian meal was pretty good.

KL airport is not a bad place to waste a few hours, good resteraunts/bars and seating areas.

Cant help with the baggage allowance as I was a tourist both times, but I can definately vouch for their service.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 6:40 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

This thread should be helpful, have a read

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ysian+airlines
Old Jun 8th 2005, 6:42 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deano
Go for it

I have booked to go over in November from Manchester to Sydney with Malaysian

I have used them several times.

They are just as good as Singapore with a lot more legroom. I have never had a problem with them.

We have the same stopover and the airport is OK but less like a shopping mall than Singapore.

There is an Exec lounge which you can use though and several bar/restaurants.

G
Old Jun 9th 2005, 12:59 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

if there's more than one of you travelling, don't expect to sit together on the flight!!

i pre-booked seats, and on only one out of four flights did i get the seats i had pre-booked. this was in the last month too.

anyway, after them not giving me the seats from oz to the uk, i called malaysian the day before i flew out of heathrow and confirmed with them that they seats i pre-booked were mine still, and they said yes, and apologised about messing the seats up in my flight out to the uk. but, when i got to heathrow not only did i not have the seats i asked for, but my girlfriend and i were sitting 15 rows apart on the opposite sides of the aircraft (and yes, we booked together, reconfirmed together - they even told me that we were travelling together, etc).

after much bitching at heathrow, we got seats together to kl, but had to wait until we got to kl to see if we could change seats. but after a delay, we got to kl with around 50 minutes to swap planes. again, after much bitching we got our original seats that i pre-booked. too much effort.

the lady at heathrow who checked us in (who was lovely) had just checked in a family of five where not a single one of them was sat near another family member. and on my flight from kl to heathrow there was a mother and her 8 year old son who were sitting on the same row separated by the galley in the middle (seat C and H). so this wasn't a one-off case.

just a warning, so if you go with malaysian be prepared for something like this.

i will be writing a complaining letter this weekend (have been too busy catching up at work this week). i would also not fly malaysian again, unless they can come up with some sort of satisfactory explanation.

otherwise, malaysian were a very good airline, and the food was excellent.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 1:16 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by brisnick
if there's more than one of you travelling, don't expect to sit together on the flight!!

i pre-booked seats, and on only one out of four flights did i get the seats i had pre-booked. this was in the last month too.

anyway, after them not giving me the seats from oz to the uk, i called malaysian the day before i flew out of heathrow and confirmed with them that they seats i pre-booked were mine still, and they said yes, and apologised about messing the seats up in my flight out to the uk. but, when i got to heathrow not only did i not have the seats i asked for, but my girlfriend and i were sitting 15 rows apart on the opposite sides of the aircraft (and yes, we booked together, reconfirmed together - they even told me that we were travelling together, etc).

after much bitching at heathrow, we got seats together to kl, but had to wait until we got to kl to see if we could change seats. but after a delay, we got to kl with around 50 minutes to swap planes. again, after much bitching we got our original seats that i pre-booked. too much effort.

the lady at heathrow who checked us in (who was lovely) had just checked in a family of five where not a single one of them was sat near another family member. and on my flight from kl to heathrow there was a mother and her 8 year old son who were sitting on the same row separated by the galley in the middle (seat C and H). so this wasn't a one-off case.

just a warning, so if you go with malaysian be prepared for something like this.

i will be writing a complaining letter this weekend (have been too busy catching up at work this week). i would also not fly malaysian again, unless they can come up with some sort of satisfactory explanation.

otherwise, malaysian were a very good airline, and the food was excellent.
Just a thought, even though you booked your seats, did you arrive late at check-in? I can't see how they could get it so wrong so many times, unless you are one of the last few to arrive.

I've been with Malaysian and will be using them again in Sept. Always good service, no complaints. Can't help with bagagge allowance, we emigrated with Singapore. Best bet is to call the airline and ask them direct. Get them to put it in writing to you, in case of any problems at the airport.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 1:36 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

from oz to uk, the desk opened at 8.50pm, and i checked in at 9.15pm (2hrs 35mins before departure). from the uk to oz the desk opened at 9am, and i checked in at 10am (2hrs before departure). so i don't think that's it.

the guy i spoke to in london the day before i flew mentioned that if you pre-book seats and the check-in staff move your seat, it is policy for them to mark on the computer system a reason - and it has to be a valid reason, not something like somebody wanted a window seat. in both instances there was no note on the computer system, and their own policy and processes are not being followed.

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
Just a thought, even though you booked your seats, did you arrive late at check-in? I can't see how they could get it so wrong so many times, unless you are one of the last few to arrive.

I've been with Malaysian and will be using them again in Sept. Always good service, no complaints. Can't help with bagagge allowance, we emigrated with Singapore. Best bet is to call the airline and ask them direct. Get them to put it in writing to you, in case of any problems at the airport.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 1:43 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by brisnick
from oz to uk, the desk opened at 8.50pm, and i checked in at 9.15pm (2hrs 35mins before departure). from the uk to oz the desk opened at 9am, and i checked in at 10am (2hrs before departure). so i don't think that's it.

the guy i spoke to in london the day before i flew mentioned that if you pre-book seats and the check-in staff move your seat, it is policy for them to mark on the computer system a reason - and it has to be a valid reason, not something like somebody wanted a window seat. in both instances there was no note on the computer system, and their own policy and processes are not being followed.
Not so good then. Demand an explanation. If you're not the last to check-in, and you have booked seats in advance, then they are in the wrong.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 1:46 am
Drunken Aussie

trust me, i will be

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
Not so good then. Demand an explanation. If you're not the last to check-in, and you have booked seats in advance, then they are in the wrong.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Quote - brisnick "if there's more than one of you travelling, don't expect to sit together on the flight!!"

TBH that would put me off flying with them. My mum and dad flew with them and said they were very good. Out of all the airlines I have flown with I rate Singapore the highest.

Katie
Old Jun 9th 2005, 4:20 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I've flown with Malaysian a few times now and I was very pleased with them. I had my 2 children with me and they made a point of making sure that we were seated together each time.

The service was always great (very friendly and helpful) and the food was pretty decent for airline fare...LOL

I don't know what happened with you, Brisnick (sounds awful!)

Siren
Old Jun 9th 2005, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough

They are the best i reckon. They gave me exit seats on both legs of my journey when I asked for them and it was one of the most enjoyable long hauls i've done (well as enjoyable as any can be!)
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

we flew with malaysian recently - we are a family of 5 - although we were sat together on the first part (2 rows of seats) - to kuala lumpur we were right next door to the stewardess station, which kept the lights on & were clattering at all hours which kept waking the kids up.
(we were on of the very first people to check in - we were told seats had already been assigned to us as we were a family )

also from KLIA we were split up me & my 8 yr old (spooky see early post!) were the other side of the station with my husband the other. i wasnt very well so he had to keep walking to the back of the plane right the way round because he wasnt allowed to walk through the galley.

me & hubby enjoyed the food - although you tend to be "told" what to have i.e chicken or beef - you ask for chicken - oh, no chicken have the beef - 3 rows back they give out chicken. if your kids like that type of food then excellent if not i would pack up a luch box. we took boxes of cereal, crisps, fruit etc & i packed them up a lunch box as though they were going to school. it was ideal as they could eat/ drink when they wanted to. i do this for any airline as the kids are fussy. coming back i didnt pack up a box & all my eldest had as a bread roll. we asked if he could have anymore as he didnt like the food & they said no - so we gave him ours so he at least ended up with 3!
the flight was ok - the service not too bad so i cant really moan about them - we enjoyed the flight & kl was lovely

hth

pootle
Old Jun 9th 2005, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

LancashireLass is a jewel in the roughLancashireLass is a jewel in the roughLancashireLass is a jewel in the roughLancashireLass is a jewel in the rough

I flew with them in March and I can't complain about anything. The service was good and KL airport is OK although not many shops and bars but I think there is a lounge with free drinks, showers, massge chairs etc which doesn't cost much - not sure how much but I some the signs for it whilst there just before getting on the next flight and I remeber thinking I wish I'd done that!

Also I managed to get a full row of seats to myself on the Manchester to KL leg. Just ask when you get on if there are any spare seats and they'll let you move once everyone is boarded.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Heathertoes will become famous soon enoughHeathertoes will become famous soon enough

We also flew in March with Malaysian airlines and had no probs. We had pre booked our seats as well and they kept us together as requested.

Our 3 year old loved the food - our 8 year old was slightly more picky! But he didn't starve and having the TV screen was such a big bonus - don't think I could watch The Incredibles again for a long time though!

I guess any airline will have it's mess up, but its even worse when on such a long haul flight.

Better luck next time and hope you have some success with your letter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.