Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Malaysia stop over

Malaysia stop over

Old Jul 14th 2004, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough
Default Malaysia stop over

I'm stopping in Malaysia for 2 nights (KL) - anybody know if I need any injections? I've had a look on the sheet at my doctors and it doesn't really tell me.
I'm wondering if it only counts if I'm planning to go out into the wilderness as opposed to staying in the city on a stopover?
Old Jul 14th 2004, 9:39 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Malaysia stop over

Originally posted by JayneS
I'm stopping in Malaysia for 2 nights (KL) - anybody know if I need any injections? I've had a look on the sheet at my doctors and it doesn't really tell me.
I'm wondering if it only counts if I'm planning to go out into the wilderness as opposed to staying in the city on a stopover?
http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidan...179&chk=L6QYy4

Hep A and Typhoid. Malaria is restricted to Borneo.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidan...179&chk=L6QYy4

Hep A and Typhoid. Malaria is restricted to Borneo.
My son is trekking in Malaysia now and was told by our Travel nurse he only needed to take anti malaria tabs. if he was going in Taman Negara NP. on the mainland. or Borneo.
The usual advice is cover up if you are out in the evening, and make sure you use a good insect repellant particularly during the day to avoid being bitten. The day mossie is different from the night mossie . The day mossie breeds where there's stagnant water .and causes Dengi fever.
I'm not trying to scare you just suggesting precaution is best.:-)
( My husband occasionally had to freguent the building sites there .-lots of stagnant water- - it takes up to a month to manifest itself , he was seriously ill with dengi -he was lucky he recovered :- )
Don't let it put you off , KL is a great place to explore you have everything from the Towers to the markets and Orchid gardens.
enjoy your stopover
Old Jul 14th 2004, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

THYE.A. is an unknown quantity at this point

Need not worry at all.The food and water in Malaysia are clean.If you are still worried, drink the can / bottled water and eat in the hotel.

However, do not leave valuable belongings at the hotels and beware of snatch thief.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:21 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Just realised I spent two weeks in Borneo (one of them in a Bornean jungle) without taking any malaria pills!

KL is meant to be lovely - one of my 'want to gos' - enjoy yourself!
Old Jul 15th 2004, 12:34 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by JayneS
Hepatitis cases in Malaysia and Singapore is usually down to eating the half cooked cockles. Just don't eat any cockles that's all. Most of the out breaks are usually found to be down to the consumption of eating the cockle dishes ( fried cockles from the strait that are not cooked properly)

tap water in the major cities of Malaysia are clean to my knowledge, and I always drank tap water. Singapore also gets about half of it's water from Malaysia. ( if your worried about it.. forget tap water.. cases are linked to ice - i.e. ice in hawker centres in Malaysia , where the origins of the ice blocks are dubious. Don't take your drinks with ice)

You don't need jabs, never known any one to have jabs who's living as an expat in that part of the world.I used to be in and out of Malaysia practically on a weekly basis while I was an expat in Singapore. Didn't have them either.

Dengue fever can be contracted in Sing too and not just Malaysia. I had a mild case of it once, well when I say mild, I was just damn ill with it for around a week to 2 weeks, and another week to be fully be fighting fit.. my muscles in my legs were weak for ages after I thought I recovered.. like the worse flu you can imagine.fever, aches. I actually thought it was a bad case of the flu until I went to the doctor.
.A friend/acquaintance of mine was actually hospitalised when he had it. .. he was really ill with it. In cases of death - it's normally the very young and the old.http://w3.whosea.org/dengue/DengueBulletin21/ch4.htm. To my knowledge there is no Vaccine you can take to prevent it. It is not a common, everyday occurrence in Malaysia and Sing, and it is needless to worry about it. just take precautions for mozzies if you are going somewhere where there are lot of them about and worried about it

One of my friends runs a construction company in Sing .. he works for months at a time away on construction sites in Malaysia. He's been in SEA for over 20 years now.. never had jabs, never picks up any illness.

Getting jabs for a two day stop off in a city like KL is totally unnecessary in my opinion, personal experience, and like said the hepatitis break outs in cities are usually down to eating cockles.

Cheers
Old Jul 15th 2004, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough

Just what I was hoping for as it saves a trip to the docs and something less to have to do !

Cheers everybody
Old Jul 15th 2004, 9:30 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Dengue can be contracted in North Queensland. Mozzie avoidance is the best thing.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 10:21 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Dengue can be contracted in North Queensland. Mozzie avoidance is the best thing.
Plus Ross river fever, japanese encephalitis etc.:scared:

In fact all along the East coast

G