Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines: Screens with Sky cot

Malaysia Airlines: Screens with Sky cot

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light
Default Malaysia Airlines: Screens with Sky cot

We are booked onto Malaysia Airlines for our flight to NZ on 9 Aug.
We have requested a Sky cot for my 22 month old son which should also give us some extra leg room.
Does anyone know if that means we will not get individual screens. The reason I ask is that I am hoping that for my daughter aged 6, the computer games on her on screen will help entertain her.
If this is the case, I think I would rather give up the sky cot, so that we each have a screen, rather than share one with three 4 other people.

For those who have flown Malaysia, thoughts please.

Paul
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 10:15 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah pretty good. No sure on the food mind you !!!

Cant remember if I had computer games ........check the airline web site
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 10:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

From what I remember, the skycots are used in bulkhead seats, and I'm sure the people using them had their own screens. I think they were like the emergency exit rows, and extend out of the seat on an arm. You would not be able to see the main screens from these seats as they are high-up, and at the side of the galley or toilets, so only Phone the airline to be sure, but I'm sure even with the cot you will be OK. Your daughter will love the games - 26 of them, very wide range of stuff, and easy to operate. Also cartoons on the video channel.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default Re: Malaysia Airlines: Screens with Sky cot

22 months?? If he's a big guy you will have to fold him in half to fit him in the sky cots. We travelled with our chubby 18 month old on Malaysian and he took up the full size of the cot with bits of him dangling out.

Anyway you are in the bulkhead and you have your own screens which pop out from the armrests. Bit of a squeeze with the cot and all the crap you take with you for kids but better than having him on your knee all the time.

Good luck
Diane
Old Jul 24th 2003, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pastor Flaps
We are booked onto Malaysia Airlines for our flight to NZ on 9 Aug.
We have requested a Sky cot for my 22 month old son which should also give us some extra leg room.
Does anyone know if that means we will not get individual screens. The reason I ask is that I am hoping that for my daughter aged 6, the computer games on her on screen will help entertain her.
If this is the case, I think I would rather give up the sky cot, so that we each have a screen, rather than share one with three 4 other people.

For those who have flown Malaysia, thoughts please.

Paul
Has it not occured to you to phone Malasian Airlines to ask?
Old Jul 24th 2003, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

My friend flies back next week with her 14month old son. She was told that although she'd requested a cot she might not get one, depended on how many other babes were flying as numbers are limited. They give preference in age order so newborns will get them. She was told 14months was quite old and has ended up paying extra and booking him a seat as she is travelling alone. I can't remember who she's flying with but I should phone Malaysian to clarify for peace of mind.

Loopy
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Crikey, regulations must have changed. I thought sky cots were only for up to 6 months old. Once kids are standing the airlines dont consider them safe.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

thewoods is an unknown quantity at this point

i also thought sky cots were up to 6 months are a certain weight - well they are in flights to europe - used them before - i ahev just rung malaysian airlines with reagrds to taking golf bag and clubs - they are free by the way and she said she would book a sky cot - told her he was 13 months old - she said they wer desgined for 24 months and under and my son is a chunk!! she has also booked kids meals for my eldest and baby meals for my babes!! glad i rung and she has grouped us all together so we are guaranteed to sit together
Old Jul 24th 2003, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

we thought Malaysia Airlines were fab for the kids when we went last year, the kids meals were just the sort of rubbish they wanted, nuggets and chips, crisps and chocolate. My 2 were 5&3 at the time and played computer games all the way there and all the way back. i travelled KLM when my eldest was 14 months and he was much to large for the skycot but at least with the bulkhead seat there was space for him to lie on the floor, with a 22 month and another child i'd be tempted to pay for an extra child seat just for the peace of mind, you have to remember that bulkhead seats are not guaranteed so you may end up in an ordinary row.........

Lynn
Old Jul 24th 2003, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

unrefined_mind is on a distinguished road

Agree with Lynn, if the bulkhead seat is not guaranteed - you do not want a 22 month baby bouncing on your lap for a long haul flight.

Flew to Oz earlier this year with my 23 month old at the time (Emirates), we booked a child seat for him and we took a baby car seat for my son to sit/sleep in, this turned out to be a godsend, not only could he sit high for meal times and be able see out of window, he could be restrained if needed, and could be tilted back for sleep times. And turned out very useful once there, no need to hire car seats etc

Would never consider long haul without a car seat for baby again.

UM
Old Jul 24th 2003, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

UM

Thats what we did with ours when he was just 2 and his baby brother was 6 months, you just have to make sure that your car seat is aircraft approved, mind you i think that was BA and who'd want to fly with them! they also have to be stowed for take off and landing, but it is sooooooo worth it!!

Lynn
Old Jul 24th 2003, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

you will get individual screens. they are contained in the arm rests and fold out.

enjoy your flight
Old Jul 24th 2003, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone for your replies.
I had considered getting another seat for the infant, but the flight is fully booked.
I am really pleased we all get individual screens as the idea of someone having to watch my daughter play games, doesnt bear thinking about, or on the other hand, my daughter watching films not suitable for her.

Another question for those who have flown Malaysia or any other airline really, are the flights always full when you fly, or are there usually some spare seats, due to no shows, even though the flight had no seats for sale.
Also are all sky cots on the bulk head centre seats rather than window.
And last question, is there an advantage in checking in early, as the airline have said they cant guantee all four of us will be together. The seat numbers are not on the tickets.

Paul
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul

I used to work in business travel and found that most airlines operate an overbooking policy and if they have stated the flight is full then the chances are there will be a waitlist for it and as a result no empty seats, check with them that the flight is full and not just the particular fare type you are on, it may mean by paying the next fare up you will get a seat without paying much more money. It may be that althought the flight is full Lon-KL there may be seats on your onward flight or vice versa, when are you flying, does it coincide with the rugby world cup?

Sky cots tend to be on both central and window bulkheads, i would definately advise that you check in early (at least 3 hours pre departure) this is really the only way to guarantee that your party is seated together, also remember to check your boarding card for the KL-Australia portion of the journey to make sure you have the seats you want there.

with regard to the skycots, if there are a large no of infants on the flight you will find that they will only allocate 1 or 2 passengers per basinet space so you may have to split your party. This is unusual as normally you dont get many infants, just remember nothing is guaranteed and no amount of moaning at the check in staff will help you.

Good Luck and have an enjoyable flight, Malaysia Airlines really are excellent.

Lynn
Old Jul 24th 2003, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Have flown Malaysian Airlines a few times, and they are excellent. All airlines overbook their flights by 10%, as there are usually always no shows, so its really difficult to estimate how full the flights will be. you might be able to phone up the airline before you travel and reserve your seats. Singapore Airlines allow you to do this, so I would have thought Malaysian would have the same policy. We did this last year with singapore Airlines and got the seats we wanted. From many years experience, checking in early doesn't seem to make much difference, as it would seem a lot of people reserve their seats in advance.

anyway hope this helps and have a great trip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.