Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines - many questions!

Malaysia Airlines - many questions!

Old Jun 18th 2008, 5:34 pm
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Malaysia Airlines - many questions!

Hi all!

Well, the original plan was for hubby to go out ahead of me to sort out housing etc so we booked his flights over 3 months ago. We're just under 3 weeks away from him leaving and all of a sudden he's decided that he'd like me to go with him - so... surprise surprise I can't get on the same flight as him so last minute (he's flying with Singapore).

I've been looking for what seems like days and I've actually found a flight with Malaysia Airlines that leaves Heathrow only about 5 minutes after his flight leaves, goes via Kuala Lumpar, and arrives in Brisbane about 2 hours after him. I'm thinking of booking this flight but I have no idea what the airline is like, particularly as I will be flying with a very active 22 month old.

Soooo.. a few Q's
  1. Does anyone have any experience of flying with Malaysia - what were your overall opinions. If anyone has flown with them with a toddler, your input would be greatly appreciated. This is my main question really that the airlines can't answer themselves... however, if anyone can help with the rest, it might save me a phone call!!!
  2. Do they offer the additional baggage allowance. I know Singapore have offered my husband 40kg upon production of an unstamped visa.
  3. Does anyone know if infants have a baggage allowance..?
  4. Does an infant ticket automatically assign them a seat?? I don't want to check in and find that I'll be expected to have the monster on my lap the entire time!!! That's my idea of a nightmare!!!

Hope some of you can help.

Many thanks, Emma x
Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

yummymummy77 is a jewel in the roughyummymummy77 is a jewel in the roughyummymummy77 is a jewel in the roughyummymummy77 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Malaysia Airlines - many questions!

Hi :-)

Sorry I can't answer most of your questions but we too are flying with a toddler in August and I can understand your concerns. Most importantly an infant ticket does NOT mean he will have a seat! You might get lucky and if there are spare seats one may be allocated for him but there is no guarantee. We have paid the child price for our little boy just to be sure!

As per luggage - Singapore gives you 10kg for infant (full allowance for chilren) and 'nursery' items checked free of charge. If I were you I would check out Malaysian's website as these things will normally be detailed there.

Good luck!

Helen
Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:16 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

IMO malaysian are the best Asian airline. Similar to Singapore but with more legroom.

I have just got back today after yet another horrendous flight with Singapore.

If Malaysian still flew from manchester then there would be no contest.

G
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Kryptonix will become famous soon enoughKryptonix will become famous soon enough

Re Q2 no they don't offer extra baggage allowance like Singapore do. Today my cousin booked a flight with Malaysian and was told he could only carry 20kg whereas Singapore are 40kg. But the difference in cost between the 2 flights meant it would be cheaper to fly with Malaysian and use an excess baggage company than it would be to fly with Singapore.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

LoveAlab will become famous soon enoughLoveAlab will become famous soon enough

If your toddler is booked on an infant ticket then they wont be assigned a seat and will have to sit on your lap the whole flight. You might be lucky and have a spare seat next to you that you could use after takeoff and landing, but most of the flights are very busy and its unlikely. I flew with Malaysian last week and they were great.

If I was in your position I would book toddler as a child so he could have his own seat, its worth the money as there is no way I could have 22 month old on my lap the whole flight.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:46 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Flown with Malaysian three times now - excellent every time. Good staff, plenty of legroom - particularly good with kids.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:10 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Very good, IME - have used them between Singapore and the UK.

Not much to do at KLIA so hope your transit is swift, although it's a newish, clean airport so can't really knock it.

Sorry I can't answer the other queries.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

We have flown with Malaysia airlines with 3 children in tow, and they were superb. Fantastic with the kids, meals were fab and I believe it has the most leg room in any airline..you definitely notice it and my husband who is 6ft 3 so it was way better.
At kuala lumpur its small but really nice, you can go upstairs and go into the plaza lounge for the eqiv of $30(that was for all 5 of us) and you basically have free internet, as much food as you want to keep going back for and showers, smoke room, it was fab and we sat there for around 4hrs, just chilling out, had showers etc and the kids thought it was fab...filled up on iced gems and soft drinks..not to mention the fabulous breakfast feast.
The shops are lovely and soooooo cheap, so definitely enjoy your time there and don't worry as your child will be fine.
From what I gather any child under 2yrs will be counted as sitting on your lap unless you stipulate otherwise.
Have a good flight.

Trish
Old Jun 19th 2008, 5:41 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Fly Malaysian in preference to any other airline now and travelled with them several times. They are giving Singapore a run for the money I reckon and are so competitive on pricing whilst giving that same standard of service.

One thing to note about Malaysian into Brisbane. You will fly LHR to KL and then KL to SYD and have to disembark the airplane for 1 hour and them reboard for the 1h 20min flight to Brisbane.

As to the infant and seat I believe that to secure an actual seat rather than be on your lap its the child fare of 75% adult fare. The infant fare I think is 10% of the adult fare only - but no seat. Just an idea but you could consider a bassinet seat but contact Malaysian directly to confirm that.

I recall the stop at KL to BNE is 5 hours. The plaza lounge as mentioned above is a good hang out thats relaxing and has free food and facilities for the very small entry fee.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:20 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks all! I called them first thing this morning and booked him a seat for which I have to bring his car seat! I'm getting quotes from excess baggage for our extra suitcase of stuff we can live without for a bit!!! It's very exciting now - I wasn't expecting to be going out for aaaages yet! Now it's only about 3 weeks away! Weeeee!!!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:27 am
MODL Pommie

sssstew is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
Thanks all! I called them first thing this morning and booked him a seat for which I have to bring his car seat! I'm getting quotes from excess baggage for our extra suitcase of stuff we can live without for a bit!!! It's very exciting now - I wasn't expecting to be going out for aaaages yet! Now it's only about 3 weeks away! Weeeee!!!
wee indeed. sounds like they might be a better airline than mine!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 11:05 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

As you've booked already I am so sorry I haven't seen you're post beforehand and given you my thoughts on Malaysian - oh well, too late now.

Bit for what its worth, they're excellent.

For the last 15 years I've only used MAS and Emirates by choice (did use BA as ex was hosty and at 145GBP for business you couldn't complain but I'd never choose BA full fare).

Tend to use Emirates more only as from Perth I prefer the timings (and no 13hr sector which is the killer). You'll love it. And if you feel cheeky, ask them of they have any of the satay left over from business - in business rather than a dingy bag of peanuts they serve chicken and beef satay's which are delicious.

You'l love it and I would put money on better flight the Singapore.

At KLIA you can always catch the monorail from the satellite terminal to the main one to pass half an hour.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute

I fly with MA on July 17th to Brisbane.

Flew with them the last time I went to Oz, loved them.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Proud to say, as a Malaysian, its by far the best Airline!!

Always flown with MAS - UK to Kuala Lumpur and back. Never any problems

Also flown with infant, at the time she was 20 months old. It was a nightmare as obviously she didn't have a seat, but had the "baby carrier" which was too short for her to sleep in, so she was on our laps all the time, and didn't sleep!!

Wish you have better luck
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:49 pm
Jelly-Belly, tbh

Originally Posted by ChocCake
Proud to say, as a Malaysian, its by far the best Airline!!

Always flown with MAS - UK to Kuala Lumpur and back. Never any problems

Also flown with infant, at the time she was 20 months old. It was a nightmare as obviously she didn't have a seat, but had the "baby carrier" which was too short for her to sleep in, so she was on our laps all the time, and didn't sleep!!

Wish you have better luck
They tried to get me to have a cot when I booked. I said "No way, I don't care how much it costs I am NOT having him on my lap for 24 hours". How anyone can do that I have NO idea!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.