Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines'

Malaysia Airlines'

Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

scamp1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Malaysia Airlines'

Has anyone flown with this lot?? - we have just had our Visa accepted (Hurrah) but need to be there ASAP - and we can get a good value flight with this airline + excess luggage allowance.

Would anyone recommend or not recommend them?

Also we could do a 2 day stop over Kuala Lumpur - is it worth it or should we just get on with gettng to Sydney??
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

We flew from London to NZ via Kuala Lumpur with them. No problems at all, nothing extra special about htem, but an average good airline as far as i am concerned. I do reccomend a stop over though. Its a long, long way. We stayed overnight at the airport hotel. I think its called Pan Pacific, but not 100% certain. Really lovely 5 star hotel.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:28 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

i flew with them last christmas and had absolutely no complaints. i wouldnt bother with the stop over. i think i ahd about 2 or 3 hours in KL. that was enough.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Will&Rosie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We went on hols a couple of years ago to Malaysia and loved it - but that was mainly due to the countryside & islands. We liked kuala lumpur, it's OK as far as cities go (we're not really city people), great for shopping - but I guess the last thing you'd want is to aquire more excess baggage!

Good luck with getting everything organising. We're abit behind you, just waiting for the solicitors to finish messing around with our house sale and then we'll be organising our flights too.

Hope it all goes well

Rosie
Old Jan 6th 2004, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

I came out with them 2 years ago for a holiday. No complaints whatsoever. We didn't stay over, it was only a couple of hours between flights and we just wanted to get to Oz.

Whisky
Old Jan 6th 2004, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

tetley101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Malaysia Airlines'

Originally posted by scamp
Has anyone flown with this lot?? - we have just had our Visa accepted (Hurrah) but need to be there ASAP - and we can get a good value flight with this airline + excess luggage allowance.

Also we could do a 2 day stop over Kuala Lumpur - is it worth it or should we just get on with gettng to Sydney??

we have booked with malaysia with a two day (electrical goods shopping) stop over in KL.

this was a 100% cost based decision. also good hotels in KL are very cheap (two nights 4star with limo airport transfers) through wired destinations 100 quid, it was cheaper to use them than going direct ot the hotel.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't flown Malaysian but my brother-in-law and his wife have. They said they were good and they had 2 days in KL which they thoroughly enjoyed and they would recommend the Hotel Istana. Malaysian also have more leg room (34" I think) than most. There have been warnings about credit cards 'scams' in Malaysia in other threads for those on shopping expeditions.

OzTennis
Old Jan 6th 2004, 2:09 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

we flew with malaysian airlines when we came here sept 2003. they were brilliant.
the only thing is ...they dont give you double baggage allowance. having said that, we were 25kg over in total(5 of us) and we didnt have to pay any extra.i was told by the check in woman that they allow 30kg each(but thats not official).

good luck
Old Jan 6th 2004, 4:21 pm
earlswood

Flew with Malaysian April 03 they were great, no complaints

Stayed in Pan Pacific (v. nice and cheap as chips).

Wouldn't want to stay over when we go one way!

All that luggage:scared:

Just want to get to Brissy asap

Old Jan 6th 2004, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

jscott is an unknown quantity at this point

Have travelled with them in the past - no problems and are going again on 25th march. We always travel straight there cause there is only a 2 hour wait and we prefer to get there but I know people who have stayed over and enjoyed it.

Jaqui
Old Jan 6th 2004, 6:21 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I've always found Malaysian Airways OK.
A damn sight better than BA.
I've stayed in KL for a few weeks before and it is a good place to visit.
Not sure I would want to stop off there though.

My Brother in law used to live there hence the long visits.

I would recommend a few days in Langkawi though to chill out a bit

G
Old Jan 6th 2004, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Lee-Louise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Malaysia Airlines'

Originally posted by scamp

Hi,

We flew with M.airline back in 2001 and I've known lots of friends and family who have since then. None of us have had probs with this airline. Clean, Cheap Cheerful!
Lee-Louise
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:11 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

I'm another one with no complaints about Malaysia Airlines. Cheaper than BA/Qantas and good entertainment facilities, friendly staff and, most importantly, plenty of free booze.

I would always stop over for at least a night somewhere in Asia. It's a bloody long way to Oz. KL is a decent enough city for a night or two.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:21 pm
Quiet one in the corner

kendra1 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Kentish Man
I'm another one with no complaints about Malaysia Airlines. Cheaper than BA/Qantas and good entertainment facilities, friendly staff and, most importantly, plenty of free booze.

I would always stop over for at least a night somewhere in Asia. It's a bloody long way to Oz. KL is a decent enough city for a night or two.
We also used Malaysia Airlines, the only complaint was the only food they served was either chicken curry or smoked salmon. probably the only 2 foods bf does not like.
kendra
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

IMO Malaysian Airlines are one of the best. The service is great and they stuff you full of food.

I have flown with many different airlines and MAL is the best by far, followed closely by Singapore.