Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Making a will through the public trustee in NSW

Making a will through the public trustee in NSW

Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

dpwilliams is a jewel in the roughdpwilliams is a jewel in the roughdpwilliams is a jewel in the roughdpwilliams is a jewel in the rough
Default Making a will through the public trustee in NSW

I'm thinking about making a will be using The Public Trustee in NSW, but would like to get some feedback from anybody who has used this organisation in ther past. What are the benefits and disadvantages of using them as opposed to a solicitor and given the fact that they are a public funded organisation, what has sort of experience did you have when dealing with them?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making a will through the public trustee in NSW

I would be interested too as we need to change ours.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

my understanding is you have to make them an executor. They will then charge for that work when it occurs.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

dpwilliams is a jewel in the roughdpwilliams is a jewel in the roughdpwilliams is a jewel in the roughdpwilliams is a jewel in the rough

I suppose the benefit to the public trustee is that they make sure the full taxes are paid when your estate is inherited and they charge for the honour.

Does anyone know what their service levels are like and whether their charges are reasonable?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 7:00 am
ABCDiamond

Example of basic fees in NSW

Estate values = Fee charged

$500,000 = 2.42%
$750,000 = 1.98%
$1,000,000 = 1.76%

http://www.pt.nsw.gov.au/Content+Men...s/default.aspx

Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spottydog
my understanding is you have to make them an executor. They will then charge for that work when it occurs.
Here in Qld the will making byt the Public Trustee is free, and you don't HAVE to put them down as executor. I'm off to do mine in a week or so.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:53 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by James516
Here in Qld the will making byt the Public Trustee is free, and you don't HAVE to put them down as executor. I'm off to do mine in a week or so.
That is an interesting point. The NSW PT also does them free, but only if you appoint the Public Trustee as executor.

I had mine done by the NSW one. Time to change it to a QLD one I think...