Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Making my money work for me??

Making my money work for me??

Old Jun 1st 2007, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute
Default Making my money work for me??

Okies - First let me say that I have a complete black spot when it comes to getting my head around all things financial but today i have had a bit of an idea
I keep reading about how the interest rates are due to rise on UK mortgages (yet again) and how some financial experts (their titles not mine) are predicting a fall in UK house prices.
This has got me to thinking: if i was to sell my house and move into rented accommodation awaiting my visa, where would the best place be to stash the equity from the sale of my house? I have been looking at rental prices today and they are pretty much what i am paying on my mortgage so its not like i would be having to dip into my new home money
Looking on the worse case scenario being that i dont get the visa - i would at least still have the equity that would have earned some interest for me to buy a new house where ever i choose to be.

Does any of that make sense or have i missed out any vital pieces of information??
Old Jun 1st 2007, 5:35 pm

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Making my money work for me??

Exactly as I see it, it makes sense to me too!

We have exchanged and haven't got our visa as yet but hopefully it will arrive before we move out of our house in mid july!

Carmel
Old Jun 1st 2007, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carmele
Exactly as I see it, it makes sense to me too!

We have exchanged and haven't got our visa as yet but hopefully it will arrive before we move out of our house in mid july!

Carmel
Thanks Carmel - think I may have the beginnings of a plan. Have you got any tips for best place to invest the dosh??
Old Jun 1st 2007, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

martin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nice

Hi there,

I have sold my house and invested the capital in a high interest account in the uk.(3.65%) I have also opened an account with westpac in oz and will transfer my money as soon as the exchange rate rises a bit more. You can get 6.5% in oz and because you are not yet a resident, you only pay 10% tax on the interest. Hope this is of any interest to you.
Martin
Old Jun 1st 2007, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by martin36-1
Hi there,

I have sold my house and invested the capital in a high interest account in the uk.(3.65%) I have also opened an account with westpac in oz and will transfer my money as soon as the exchange rate rises a bit more. You can get 6.5% in oz and because you are not yet a resident, you only pay 10% tax on the interest. Hope this is of any interest to you.
Martin

YAY! seems like it may have been one of my better ideas
Going to go visit estate agent again on Monday and get it shifting and then pay bank a visit re investing.
Thanks for the help xx
Old Jun 1st 2007, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

martin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nice

No problem,

good luck x
Old Jun 1st 2007, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
YAY! seems like it may have been one of my better ideas
Going to go visit estate agent again on Monday and get it shifting and then pay bank a visit re investing.
Thanks for the help xx
we're in a very similar position to yourselves having just received funds from house sale .We decided to invest over here at the moment and have just opened an online tracker account with northern rock which will be paying 5.71% gross from next week
hope this helps someone regards bobby
Old Jun 1st 2007, 6:49 pm

Hi daunted, just pm'd you

Martin, how much does it cost to transfer £ to $ as far you as you know. Yours does seem like a good plan, however we have no long or short term plans anywhere so have been reluctant to transfer money from UK to Oz because we could lose some and more just in transfer fees, exchange rates etc?

Carmel
Old Jun 1st 2007, 6:53 pm

Sounds good bobby! Minus tax... still a good return!

Selfishly lets hope if mortgage rates go up so too will savings rates!!!!

Carmel
Old Jun 1st 2007, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carmele
Sounds good bobby! Minus tax... still a good return!

Selfishly lets hope if mortgage rates go up so too will savings rates!!!!

Carmel
I'm all for that carmel
Old Jun 1st 2007, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

YAY me too but can we hang on a couple months please until i sold my littel gold mine
Old Jun 1st 2007, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

GaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really nice

You'll lose out on buying and selling fees such as estate agents, solicitors, stamp duty, etc. This will likely swallow up any money you make for the short time it is held in an high interest account.

Mind you, if house prices do drop significantly, you could lose a hell of a lot of money that way too.

The 15:50 at Kempton Park tomorrow, Saturday 2nd June - bleeding eagle - is a cert at 8/1.

In short, it is all a gamble, so you take your chances.

Good luck with it.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 10:32 pm
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by daunted
Thanks Carmel - think I may have the beginnings of a plan. Have you got any tips for best place to invest the dosh??
Mandy,
You can invest in me!!!! LOL
See you on Saturday!!!!
Gary and Vikky
Old Jun 1st 2007, 11:57 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martin36-1
Hi there,

Martin
Martin, interest rates are normally quoted as AER so I'm assuming that's what your 3.65% is. You can get much better deals than this though.

Lloyds for instance do an Online Saver with a return of 5.25% AER. You just need to have at least £250 in the account - there's no other limitations.