Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Making the Move to Perth AU..

Making the Move to Perth AU..

Old May 3rd 2017, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

sign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making the Move to Perth AU..

Originally Posted by northernbird
I would not be considering a move to Perth in your position right now.
Can I ask why. I was looking at Perth maybe for a year. My companion is a nurse. Are things quite bad.
Old May 3rd 2017, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

They are - even nurses not immune - they are no longer anywhere near in demand as they once were.
Old May 3rd 2017, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Look, it's not impossible, but I would not move without doing a recce first specifically to scout out your job prospects.
Old May 3rd 2017, 10:46 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

WA has the highest unemployment in the country at the moment and when you live in a country where jobs comes based on not what you know, but who you know, it might be hard. I know dozens of tradies with 10-20 yrs local experience working at anything they can get, may it be cleaning, checkout chicks to fully without no work in foreseeable future. Mining downturn brought all those locally qualified back from the north, and also the state is pretty much broke. So not trying to put a downer on your plans but that's your competition for jobs.
Old May 3rd 2017, 11:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
when you live in a country where jobs comes based on not what you know, but who you know, it might be hard.
That happens in every country - certainly in the UK at least. I've had it work for and against me - in Australia and the UK
Old May 3rd 2017, 11:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sign
Can I ask why. I was looking at Perth maybe for a year. My companion is a nurse. Are things quite bad.
I agree with Northernbird - not the time to be moving to WA. The economy is improving - new mining projects starting this year for instance - but it will be a while before this translates to increasing employment - and there are plenty of locals to fill theses jobs without the need for migrants

Nursing also affected - plenty of nurses out if work. The state government is grappling with a large deficit and is restructuring which will lead to job losses. This is a good thing for the state in the long run but not good for the individuals affected
Old May 3rd 2017, 12:32 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I agree with Northernbird - not the time to be moving to WA. The economy is improving - new mining projects starting this year for instance - but it will be a while before this translates to increasing employment - and there are plenty of locals to fill theses jobs without the need for migrants

Nursing also affected - plenty of nurses out if work. The state government is grappling with a large deficit and is restructuring which will lead to job losses. This is a good thing for the state in the long run but not good for the individuals affected
I'm sad to hear that things aren't too good there. I know that house prices in Perth had taken a tumble at the time I left (18 months ago). Fingers crossed that the improvement you've mentioned keeps up.
Old May 3rd 2017, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm sad to hear that things aren't too good there. I know that house prices in Perth had taken a tumble at the time I left (18 months ago). Fingers crossed that the improvement you've mentioned keeps up.
A correction
Old May 3rd 2017, 11:38 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
A correction
From my perspective, it was only a tumble rather that a tumble, because a nice young Chinese couple loved the house and paid over the odds
Old May 4th 2017, 1:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I don't really comment on house prices as opinions are like assholes etc - and nearly all commentary on the subject is just that - opinions. I guess prices are down but not by much if you look at the long-term. Prices around here are stable and properties are selling. That's going to be my only input into the subject

Reality is that although the economy is struggling somewhat, things aren't that bad (my opinion only - I'm not going to debate it). There is still tons of construction going on and much more planned. My wife recently started a well-paying full-time job. The shopping centre carparks are full and people are still spending money. You can often struggle to get a table at a decent restaurant and go to the cinema and you queue your ass off. You need to remember that Perth is the wealthiest city in the Southern Hemisphere and that average full-time salaries are 2nd only to Canberra - with a COL that is only marginally higher (and falling) than East Coast cities. There is a lot of money in this city and some of it is being utilised to keep people going. We live in a city that is at the mercy of economic cycles - and we are coming out of a trough in one of those cycles. It is what it is
Old May 4th 2017, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

When there are people (or idiots) like me thinking of buying into the market in Perth, I reckon Amazulu can't be too wide off the mark there...
Old May 4th 2017, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xizzles
When there are people (or idiots) like me thinking of buying into the market in Perth, I reckon Amazulu can't be too wide off the mark there...
You think natural resources has future then?
Old May 4th 2017, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
You think natural resources has future then?
Well, I think it will never be without a future - how's that for a qualified answer. Its importance may have been overshadowed/overtaken by what technology can compensate at the moment, and shale gas/oil is an example, but when the reality of contaminated water tables and deformed babies and cancer rates in children climb because of the run-offs and the pollution hit home, don't be surprised to see "peak oil" and "peak oil prices" back in the lexicon of the traders. Just don't say you didn't read it here first.

Having said that, I'm not buying into Perth because of what the future promises. I'm thinking of buying into Perth for a viable punt at a visa run. It's a back up plan of a back up plan (the business in Sydney is my first back up), should the venture goes pear shaped. I'm doing everything possible I can to ensure that Australia is given as little excuse as possible to kick a 50-odd-year old fogey off its shores when the time for the RRV is due. Well, everything possible short of flipping keeping to the 2 years residency requirement which simply isn't viable at the moment.
Old May 4th 2017, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by xizzles
Well, I think it will never be without a future - how's that for a qualified answer. Its importance may have been overshadowed/overtaken by what technology can compensate at the moment, and shale gas/oil is an example, but when the reality of contaminated water tables and deformed babies and cancer rates in children climb because of the run-offs and the pollution hit home, don't be surprised to see "peak oil" and "peak oil prices" back in the lexicon of the traders. Just don't say you didn't read it here first.

Having said that, I'm not buying into Perth because of what the future promises. I'm thinking of buying into Perth for a viable punt at a visa run. It's a back up plan of a back up plan (the business in Sydney is my first back up), should the venture goes pear shaped. I'm doing everything possible I can to ensure that Australia is given as little excuse as possible to kick a 50-odd-year old fogey off its shores when the time for the RRV is due. Well, everything possible short of flipping keeping to the 2 years residency requirement which simply isn't viable at the moment.
All sounds fair to me. The contaminated land business is booming. I do wonder though, if the contaminated land lessons have been learned and the next gen of petrol stations, land fill, and run off sources will have been controlled and have the tech to sort it out.

That said, the detection and clean up methods will be equal to the task and that business will continue to boom.

Invest in that one
Old May 4th 2017, 10:05 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't really comment on house prices as opinions are like assholes etc - and nearly all commentary on the subject is just that - opinions. I guess prices are down but not by much if you look at the long-term. Prices around here are stable and properties are selling. That's going to be my only input into the subject

Reality is that although the economy is struggling somewhat, things aren't that bad (my opinion only - I'm not going to debate it). There is still tons of construction going on and much more planned. My wife recently started a well-paying full-time job. The shopping centre carparks are full and people are still spending money. You can often struggle to get a table at a decent restaurant and go to the cinema and you queue your ass off. You need to remember that Perth is the wealthiest city in the Southern Hemisphere and that average full-time salaries are 2nd only to Canberra - with a COL that is only marginally higher (and falling) than East Coast cities. There is a lot of money in this city and some of it is being utilised to keep people going. We live in a city that is at the mercy of economic cycles - and we are coming out of a trough in one of those cycles. It is what it is
Ta for your perspective Zulu.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.