Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Making a living in house renovation

Making a living in house renovation

Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Roofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the rough
Default Making a living in house renovation

I have noticed on a lot of real estate websites that the general decor in Australia reminds me of my grans house. I am in the building trade in the UK and can put my hand to most things.
Is there a market for the renovation of rundown houses in Perth especially.
My impressions are that the Australian description of an ultra-modern house sounds a bit like a well decorated house in UK with a few modern touches such as low voltage lighting and subtle wall colours. Do these houses get good money compared to a basic house or have I been looking at the wrong sites?
What are the rules for buying a house if you arrive on a skilled independant visa?
Could you make a living doing this? I would prefer to work by myself so this would be ideal.
How does the capital gains rule work in Perth?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 9:44 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Making a living in house renovation

Originally Posted by Roofman
I have noticed on a lot of real estate websites that the general decor in Australia reminds me of my grans house. I am in the building trade in the UK and can put my hand to most things.
My impressions are that the Australian description of an ultra-modern house sounds a bit like a well decorated house in UK with a few modern touches such as low voltage lighting and subtle wall colours. Do these houses get good money compared to a basic house or have I been looking at the wrong sites?
What are the rules for buying a house if you arrive on a skilled independant visa?
Could you make a living doing this? I would prefer to work by myself so this would be ideal.
Interested in this myself...............BUMP!
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Roofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Making a living in house renovation

Is it something you've looked into yet?
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 12:24 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

We are moving to the Gold Coast next year, and are going into property refurb/rentals. (as we have done in UK).
Depending on what visa you are going under, you may only be able to buy New, or have to get government approval.
Perth is really the only place in oz that prices are still going up. Everywhere else seems to be slow, So it's a buyers market and you can get some good deals.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 9:37 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Making a living in house renovation

No. Hubbie sick of renovating and wants to buy new.....trying to persuade him. Prices here are dropping and there are some great buys so need to look into it before the market turns.
Phil x
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 9:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

1. My impression is that if the house is old/rundown, it's quite common to demolish it and build afresh.

2. If you have a skilled independent visa (not SIR) then you do not face restrictions on purchase of real estate.

3. For information on capital gains tax, visit http://www.ato.gov.au
Be aware that if you start engaging in a business, profits may be subject to income tax rather than CGT.

Jeremy
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 11:57 pm
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

We are on Sunshine Coast. We did renovations in UK and did well from them. Here in Queensland it seems it's more fruitful to build. Looks like you can build for 25% less than buying new. Having been here a year, we have just built for $450k and hope to sell for $550k - $600, though prices have been falling. Although it's not sold yet, our sums showed that it would be more profitable to build than renovate.
However, with land prices so high down south, I hear that reno's are the big thing, ie Sydney/Melbourne.
If you can get land in Perth, have a look at building. Anwhere near facilities, water city is always a good bet.
Good luck

Sarah