Reload this Page >

making the decisions

making the decisions

Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

cold up north is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up making the decisions

Hi All

I'm british and my girlfriend is norwegian, we currently live in norway, but can't stop thinking of life in Oz. We have taken the online test and pass with flying colours. The cost of living's no problem - as anywhere's cheaper then here . we have no kids, but we have a dog that we adore. If we decide to go, then we would prefer Brisbane and we see that there is no quarantene station there, with Sydney being the closest. Meanwhile we would have to be elsewhere looking for accommodation, jobs etc and there would be no-one to exercise her. This would mean staying in sydney for 30 days, seriously hindering the move. There must be some way or solution around this, has anyone experienced this before?

We also would like to find out if there are many norwegian living down there, especially working in hospitals? This would very much help my girlfriends transition We have found a norwegian website, but there's not too much info on there.

That's it for now. This website has been a huge help with our research, many thanks to the owners
Old Jul 14th 2008, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: making the decisions

Originally Posted by cold up north
Hi All

I'm british and my girlfriend is norwegian, we currently live in norway, but can't stop thinking of life in Oz. We have taken the online test and pass with flying colours. The cost of living's no problem - as anywhere's cheaper then here . we have no kids, but we have a dog that we adore. If we decide to go, then we would prefer Brisbane and we see that there is no quarantene station there, with Sydney being the closest. Meanwhile we would have to be elsewhere looking for accommodation, jobs etc and there would be no-one to exercise her. This would mean staying in sydney for 30 days, seriously hindering the move. There must be some way or solution around this, has anyone experienced this before?

We also would like to find out if there are many norwegian living down there, especially working in hospitals? This would very much help my girlfriends transition We have found a norwegian website, but there's not too much info on there.

That's it for now. This website has been a huge help with our research, many thanks to the owners
i would enquire further to your dogs situation. i am sure there would be something set up for such circumstances RE; the dog walking etc.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 6:34 am
Just Joined

swapping north for south is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! I hope I am 'allowed' to post on this site, being neither British nor Australian. I am a Norwegian who currently live in Norway with my Australian partner. I have previously lived in Brisbane for a three and a half year-period, and absolutely adore the place.

If you are looking for other Norwegian expats in Brisbane I am not sure where they are all hiding, but there are plenty of Norwegian students around, including nursing students who probaby have do the 'work experience'-part of their studies at Brisbane hospitals. Lets just say if your partner wants to meet other Norwegians that shouldn't be a problem. There are Norwegian student associations, and a Norwegian club for expats in Brisbane.

However, I have yet to find a page for Scandinavians equal to this discussion forum though, so if you should come across anything like that let me know.

We are planning to return to Brisbane in not too long, just have to sort out house, jobs and save up a few $$ first. Going on holiday there in august/september and can't wait to go back to what I like to call home.

As for your dog, I am sure there are dog-walking facilities at the kennels, just check with a few before your pooch boards the plane.

Good luck with your planning! There are plenty of useful tips on moving to and living in Aus on this forum.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Steveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cold up north
Hi All

Contact the quarantine station, here is there email [email protected]
They can give you names and numbers of people who can walk your dog for you.
Good Luck
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:06 am
Just Joined

cold up north is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Thanks to those who replied. I see we have to look further in the the quarantine issue. Would be nice if we could find someone to walk her each day.

To swapping north for south
When i've posted 3 threads, will it be ok if we send you a personal message? I'm certain my girlfriend would like some feedback from someone who's living there

Bye for now!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

swapping north for south is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again! Sorry for late reply. I'll happily answer questions your partner may have about being Norwegian in Brisbane, just send me a PM.