Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Main Street, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane...

Main Street, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane...

Old Apr 28th 2012, 3:48 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light
Default Main Street, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane...

Does anyone have any knowledge of this area, specifically inside the red circled area shown on the attached JPEG?

Main Street, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane

I am looking at properties inside the red circle, well online from the UK.

Can i ask, how easy is it to get to the Pig and Whistle in CBD by the dockside from Main Street, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane?

How much roughly would a taxi cost from the Int Airport to Main Street, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane?

Inside the red circle, are there any food shops, bottle shops, takeways, bars etc?

Would you live in this area,Main Street, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane?

Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails Main Street, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane...-new-picture.jpg  
Old Apr 28th 2012, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice
Default Re: Main Street, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane...

I lived on Main St for a couple of years in the 90's.

If Pig & Whistle is on Eagle St, a 2 minute ferry across the river from Holman St on the tip of KP is a lovely trip, esp in the evening.

No idea of the cost of a cab, but should be an online fare estimator.

Story Bridge Hotel is one of Brisbane's best pubs, and has a bottleo and good bar food.

I did live there in my 20's, now in my 40's I'd have to think twice but if you want to live by the CBD its hard to beat, but its not quiet! Try to get somewhere with CBD views, ideally on the CBD side.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 10:48 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carling black label
Does anyone have any knowledge of this area, specifically inside the red circled area shown on the attached JPEG?

Main Street, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane

I am looking at properties inside the red circle, well online from the UK.

Can i ask, how easy is it to get to the Pig and Whistle in CBD by the dockside from Main Street, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane?

How much roughly would a taxi cost from the Int Airport to Main Street, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane?

Inside the red circle, are there any food shops, bottle shops, takeways, bars etc?

Would you live in this area,Main Street, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane?

Thanks for any help.
When we first arrived in Brisbane, Himself's employer put us up in a furnished apartment in the Quest Bridgewater (which was a really, really beautiful apartment!!). This was prior to the Clem 7 tunnel so I don't know what effect (if any) that has had.

We didn't pay for the taxi from the airport but it was about $25 - this was 4 years ago and there may have been an element of 'loading' because it was being paid on a corporate payment card (or conversely, it could have been cheaper because it was corporate!)

We were just behind the Story Bridge Hotel - this is a very popular spot and consequently it can be very noisy and busy, especially on a Saturday afternoon/evening. There's a bottle shop attached to the hotel - we found it relatively expensive. There's a few restaurants dotted around the area, from recollection there was an indian, a fish shop, can't remember what else. You need to ensure that anywhere you buy, if you do buy, has its own parking.

We used to use both the ferry points over to the CBD. We LOVED going on the ferry Even once we moved out of the apartment, if I had to go down into Brisbane I'd park on Kangaroo Point and get the ferry over.

The 'proper' residential areas either side of the Story Bridge were quite leafy and relatively quiet. They all seemed well maintained, it wasn't a threatening situation to walk through them alone, the park area was lovely.

Would I live there? If I HAD to live in a city, that would be my first choice. But I'm not a city person so there's not a cat in hell's chance that I actually would

(Don't forget, it's four years since I lived there for 5 weeks, lol, and at least 2 years since I went there to park up. It might be a drug raddled skank den of iniquity now)
Old Apr 28th 2012, 11:39 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondered why the Pig and Whistle is so important?
Old Apr 28th 2012, 11:52 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
It's not....it is just another crap chain pub.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Its the only pub in Brisbane where you can see pretty much any televised UK/Irish football game, 6 Nations rugby etc.
The Eagle St Pier P&W is huge, loads of screens, often shows half a dozen different matches at once, the small one in the Queen St Mall is open 24/7 and shows televised games that take place in the evening UK time - I often find myself there at 5.30am watching a live match before work.

The pubs are just part of a chain as Grayling says, but for people who like their football/rugby they are a little bit of heaven.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:32 am
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its the only pub in Brisbane where you can see pretty much any televised UK/Irish football game, 6 Nations rugby etc.
The Eagle St Pier P&W is huge, loads of screens, often shows half a dozen different matches at once, the small one in the Queen St Mall is open 24/7 and shows televised games that take place in the evening UK time - I often find myself there at 5.30am watching a live match before work.

The pubs are just part of a chain as Grayling says, but for people who like their football/rugby they are a little bit of heaven.
After ten pints, Polly, you have saved me a shed load of spelling mistakes trying to script what you did so perfectly, cheers lady..........
Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:32 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Grayling
It's not....it is just another crap chain pub.
If they served Pedigree, opinion different?
Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dreamy
When we first arrived in Brisbane, Himself's employer put us up in a furnished apartment in the Quest Bridgewater (which was a really, really beautiful apartment!!). This was prior to the Clem 7 tunnel so I don't know what effect (if any) that has had.

We didn't pay for the taxi from the airport but it was about $25 - this was 4 years ago and there may have been an element of 'loading' because it was being paid on a corporate payment card (or conversely, it could have been cheaper because it was corporate!)

We were just behind the Story Bridge Hotel - this is a very popular spot and consequently it can be very noisy and busy, especially on a Saturday afternoon/evening. There's a bottle shop attached to the hotel - we found it relatively expensive. There's a few restaurants dotted around the area, from recollection there was an indian, a fish shop, can't remember what else. You need to ensure that anywhere you buy, if you do buy, has its own parking.

We used to use both the ferry points over to the CBD. We LOVED going on the ferry Even once we moved out of the apartment, if I had to go down into Brisbane I'd park on Kangaroo Point and get the ferry over.

The 'proper' residential areas either side of the Story Bridge were quite leafy and relatively quiet. They all seemed well maintained, it wasn't a threatening situation to walk through them alone, the park area was lovely.

Would I live there? If I HAD to live in a city, that would be my first choice. But I'm not a city person so there's not a cat in hell's chance that I actually would

(Don't forget, it's four years since I lived there for 5 weeks, lol, and at least 2 years since I went there to park up. It might be a drug raddled skank den of iniquity now)
Brilliant Post thanks very much..............
Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:38 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

If they served Pedigree, opinion different?
If they served any decent beer my opinion might be different.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:40 am
Banned

If they served any decent beer my opinion might be different.
I knew so, i agree Had a few tonite, CASK ALE.....
Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:44 am
Bitter and twisted

I knew so, i agree Had a few tonite, CASK ALE.....
I will be there in a couple of weeks

I will have to make up for the rest of the year
Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:54 am
Banned

I will be there in a couple of weeks

I will have to make up for the rest of the year
You enjoy my friend, Pedigree, Bass, Bombadier, Spitfire, Brew VI, IP, and of course the intellect, ambience of a British Public House, the wit, and the history, you cannot beat it..........
Old Apr 29th 2012, 4:09 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

CBL,

change your avater to a decent drink please.

RU sure you're doing the right thing? I'm sensing your missus is happy to stay in the UK and you're pushing this move?

I talk from experience, 8 years experience since we first visited Oz.

I desperatly want to move out there, but she says no, so I'm staying.....

because I know living somewhere she won't be as happy as she is here would break my heart.

Does that make sense?
Old Apr 29th 2012, 7:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

After ten pints, Polly, you have saved me a shed load of spelling mistakes trying to script what you did so perfectly, cheers lady..........
Being Aunty on childminding duties this weekend I've only had 2 pints, so happy to help!! Might see you in the Pig sometime they have Bulmers on tap so thats me sorted drinkwise!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.