Mail problem?

Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mail problem?

Hi
I'm looking for some suggestions or other people's experience with getting mail here.
We have been on the sunshine coast for 6 weeks and got a PO Box as soon as we got here. Problem is, we have hardly recieved any mail in it, even though we have had a relative post several bundles from the UK and other documents have not arrived from financial institutions etc. When we check it most days, it's empty, sometimes there is mail in it, usually for someone else who we assume had the box before us. We have had about 4 items of mail out of the dozens we were expecting. I haven't recieved some items posted locally to me from Aus companies, so I don't think it's just an international post problem. Obviously, if the person who had the box before us hasn't changed their address with whoever they deal with, it will still get posted in our box, but that doesn't explain where ours has gone. Aus post agree with me that it's very unusual to have so many items not arrive, but then give me the usual 'we can't do anything if it's not registered mail' and insist no one could possibly have access to our box. Even though it's xmas and we expect delays, this doesn't seem right - or is it? Have others had problems receiving mail, like never getting it, or does it turn up eventually? I've checked with the people posting to us that the address they have is right and it is ( we have had a few items in the box from them). I'm getting a bit concerned and have a theory (best kept to myself as I'm hopefully worrying over nothing). Mail addressed to our new rental address is getting here just fine. Anyone had problems, or is it just me expecting too much. Sorry for waffling.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:22 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mail problem?

Hi
Sorry Kitty we didn't use a box. Had it all redirected to my mum and she is keeping it all for us, opening anything that looks inmportant and then we go from there. Fingers crossed it is just the slow old post and things will get sorted out. Maybe meet you at the coast meet after Christmas. Good luck with your post.
Michelle
Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

We had word from the UK that there is a postal problem over there ....not quite sure what though
Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:32 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Mail problem?

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
We had word from the UK that there is a postal problem over there ....not quite sure what though
The problem was identified some years ago. It's called "Royal Mail".

Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
The problem was identified some years ago. It's called "Royal Mail".

PMSL
Old Dec 18th 2006, 5:41 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Vash will vehemently disagree, but Australia Post misplaces a significant number of mail items, certainly in our experience.

Our latest was two replacement Virgin Credit Cards, which did not arrive 3 weeks after they were posted - just got the replacement replacements today!
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys

looks like it's luck whether we get stuff or not. best make sure anything we really want is posted registered, although I don't think UK banks/credit card companies will want to fork out the cost and extra time (need to keep letters coming from these until we've got rid of debts, sold the house in the UK etc).
Still doesn't seem ok to me though that you never know if you will get your expected mail or not (I'm talking most of ours, not the odd one). Seems maybe the respective mail companies in the UK/Aus make an interesting team .
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kitty4
Thanks guys

looks like it's luck whether we get stuff or not. best make sure anything we really want is posted registered, although I don't think UK banks/credit card companies will want to fork out the cost and extra time (need to keep letters coming from these until we've got rid of debts, sold the house in the UK etc).
Still doesn't seem ok to me though that you never know if you will get your expected mail or not (I'm talking most of ours, not the odd one). Seems maybe the respective mail companies in the UK/Aus make an interesting team .

Have you rung the banks etc and asked if they could put your statements online instead of posting them?. It would make things easier for you as well as being more secure.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy
Have you rung the banks etc and asked if they could put your statements online instead of posting them?. It would make things easier for you as well as being more secure.

Thanks

have done that as far as possible.

however, as our move here turned a bit disastrous on the financial front/house sale fell through as we left etc, we have had to think up contingencies to keep us going, therefore we have quite a lot of forms to sign and other stuff, which I've asked to be emailed so I can print off and sign and post back, or to be faxed, but to no avail, I'm told I have to wait for the hard copies by 1st class airmail (this was 5 weeks ago and not just one but waiting for several letters). Think I'll be waiting and waiting at this rate. The banks etc can have my new rental address now and eventually the PO Box can get st*"@ed. It's just that this has cost us so much time, worry and money. Even some letters from my Aus bank haven't been recieved in the PO Box - I've now given them my new permanentish rental address and got them fine. Thought PO Boxes were secure and we could get our mail while moving into somewhere then moving again, but it seems not or maybe I'm just unlucky.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:38 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Mail problem?

Originally Posted by Wol
Vash will vehemently disagree, but Australia Post misplaces a significant number of mail items, certainly in our experience.

Our latest was two replacement Virgin Credit Cards, which did not arrive 3 weeks after they were posted - just got the replacement replacements today!
Having worked as an Aussie Post employee for four and a half years, I totally agree with you that we lose items. Whether or not the number could be called "significant", depends on your definition of the word. Anecdotal evidence doesn't signify much, I'm afraid.

During my time at Post, our "on time" delivery performance stood at 95%, as measured by KPMG.

Last year's figures look pretty good too:

Australia Post is required under the Australian Postal Corporation Act 1989 (the Act) to meet a performance standard of 94 per cent on-time delivery.

This year, we again exceeded that target, with 95.6 per cent of domestic letters delivered on time or early.

Nearly all of the remaining 4.4 per cent of letters were delivered by the following day.
Australia Post.

I don't know how many we lost, but I am willing to bet that we're still miles ahead of Royal Mail:

Postcomm, the independent regulator for postal services, today proposed financial penalties of £11.7m on Royal Mail for serious breaches of its licence obligations in 2004/05 to protect the mail and deliver it on time.

Of the total financial penalty:

* £11.38m is for Royal Mail's failure to meet its obligations to protect the mail; and
* £0.27m is for Royal Mail's poor mail delivery performance across three London postcode areas.

"A regulator's first duty is to protect the interests of customers. Customers are entitled to expect that when they post mail it will reach its destination. But during 2004/05, around 14.6 million letters, packets and parcels in Royal Mail's care were lost, stolen, damaged or interfered with," said Nigel Stapleton, chairman of Postcomm.
psc.gov.uk

In 2005, RM's service was even worse.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kitty4
Thanks

have done that as far as possible.

however, as our move here turned a bit disastrous on the financial front/house sale fell through as we left etc, we have had to think up contingencies to keep us going, therefore we have quite a lot of forms to sign and other stuff, which I've asked to be emailed so I can print off and sign and post back, or to be faxed, but to no avail, I'm told I have to wait for the hard copies by 1st class airmail (this was 5 weeks ago and not just one but waiting for several letters). Think I'll be waiting and waiting at this rate. The banks etc can have my new rental address now and eventually the PO Box can get st*"@ed. It's just that this has cost us so much time, worry and money. Even some letters from my Aus bank haven't been recieved in the PO Box - I've now given them my new permanentish rental address and got them fine. Thought PO Boxes were secure and we could get our mail while moving into somewhere then moving again, but it seems not or maybe I'm just unlucky.

I hope you get it sorted out soon.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 7:38 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

How odd, and how annoying!

I don't have a PO box so cannot comment on that, and all my redirected and regular mail has arrived just fine. Only annoying thing today was that the parcel post people did not attempt to ring our door bell/knock on the door but just left a 'while you were out' type notice for us to collect a parcel. We were in all day and there was no knock or ring.

Nevermind, collected the parcel now (from UK Amazon) woohoo

Seems very odd though that you have had dozens of mail items not reach you!
Old Dec 18th 2006, 7:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Not wishing to argue with anyone that has worked for Aus Post, and bearing in mind I haven't worked for Royal Mail........from personal experience, my first job in Aus was in an Aus Post sorting office. The mail was sorted by electronically scanning the envelopes as they whizzed past on a vertical conveyor belt. Belt stops/jams mail on it falls off, inside the machine. Too expensive to open the machine and retrieve the mail, so it gets left until there is a major failure. We had one of those failures on one machine on December 23rd. The supervisor said the machine had not been stopped for over 5 months, and the amount of mail we retrieved from inside it was horrifying - by some twist of fate, one of the items retrieved was the last card I sent to The Bloke before leaving my flat back in the UK - on OCTOBER 18th. Postmarked in Aus on October 22nd.
The attitude there was that noone really cared - I heard a lot of people sayng "its only mail, so what!"

One tip I did get was - the machines can't deal with red/green/orange or shiny envelopes, they are extracted and sorted manually.......so now you know what colour envelope to use!
Old Dec 18th 2006, 7:51 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

One tip I did get was - the machines can't deal with red/green/orange or shiny envelopes, they are extracted and sorted manually.......so now you know what colour envelope to use!

I am off out to buy red, green, orange and shiny envelopes or shiny envelopes with all of the above colours in them!!!!

Old Dec 18th 2006, 8:01 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about Royal Mail, but my father posted 2 Christmas cards to my children registered mail from Canada on November 15. On November 16 he mailed a Christmas card for me. The kids received their cards Friday December 1. Mine has not arrived yet. He checked with Canada Post and their online tracking shows that it arrived at Sydney sorting station on the 21 of November. So, where the hell is my card?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.