Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Magnetic Island - Thoughts/Anyone live there?

Magnetic Island - Thoughts/Anyone live there?

Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:29 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light
Default Magnetic Island - Thoughts/Anyone live there?

I ask, are there any expats residing on the island, would anyone consider a twelve month stint?
Old Nov 10th 2011, 10:01 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Magnetic Island - Thoughts/Anyone live there?

Originally Posted by carling black label
I ask, are there any expats residing on the island, would anyone consider a twelve month stint?
If I had work there yes.
Beautiful place. Quite stunning.
So laid back it's horizontal.
There are regular car and passenger services to Townsville.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:05 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bix
If I had work there yes.
Beautiful place. Quite stunning.
So laid back it's horizontal.
There are regular car and passenger services to Townsville.

I am tempted, so if you had enough cash to live work free for a year, you would take on a twelve month tenancy, and just chill...............watch the world disappear up its own ass.................Are there may shops, pubs, takeaways, bottle shops etc............
Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:15 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I went there in my younger years, great place.

I banged a girl on the beach and the next day got into a fight with some dude and banned from the Island. Happy days.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:50 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carling black label
I am tempted, so if you had enough cash to live work free for a year, you would take on a twelve month tenancy, and just chill...............watch the world disappear up its own ass.................Are there may shops, pubs, takeaways, bottle shops etc............
Yep.
Not many better places to do that.

There are a few bays on the island taking you from one extreme to another.
On one end of the scale is Radical Bay where there is literally nothing but boulders and beach. Great for a peaceful picnic, lazing in the sun reading a book.
On the other end the more commercial Horseshoe Bay with a few cafes, restaurants and beach activities.

This website sums it up pretty well.....
http://www.magneticinformer.com.au/index.cfm
Look under the Community tab for retail and services available. There are about 3000 residents.

There is one of most things you are likely to need but if you want any retail choice it will mean a trip over to Townsville. That's easily done and quick. I think the car ferry was 30 minutes / passenger ferry quicker than that.

Bottle shop - yep.
Pubs - yep but get to know the opening hours.

The biggest pain in the ass when we were there was knowing when the restaurants and eateries opened. It's all printed in a seasonal holiday brochure.....but they don't take any notice of it and open and shut at a whim it seems. We got damned annoyed cos a few of the restaurants put out "OPEN" boards by the side of the road but when you go there they are shut. That happened 4 times to us.

If you are living there though it's something you will get to learn I guess.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:17 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

We did a big roadtrip a few years ago, to Cairns and back to Brisbane. We decided to rent a place there for 3 nights. We took the ferry over so we could take the car. I must say I was disappointed. I had no preconceptions of the place, but I found the place quite boring really. Apart from the trek up to the fort on the hill, there really wasn't much to do. The beaches were all crushed coral (from memory) and there seemed to be a lot of party-goers on the island (not sure where the hell they were partying). All I know is that my wife and kids all came away from the place with the feeling of "so what".

However, if your aim is to go somewhere to completely get away from the hussle and bussle and you are quite content to make your own entertainment, then I am sure it would be a great place.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders

but I found the place quite boring really. Apart from the trek up to the fort on the hill, there really wasn't much to do. All I know is that my wife and kids all came away from the place with the feeling of "so what".
I know that feeling, 22 hours of driving some boring bland lanscape to arrive at a place of magnificence, only to discover yet another beach, bbq and the standard pelican ZZZZZZZZZ

While waiting in the packed car service lounge one time, I made the error of saying I found 1770 quite boring and couldnt see what people went on about, I thought they were going to hang me
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:33 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Magnetic Island - Thoughts/Anyone live there?

I spent 2 weeks there this year and loved it, from a holiday point of view.

I met a lot of locals who used to live on the mainland and had semi-retired there.

It's the sort of place where everybody knows everything about everybody.

BB
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:40 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Agree with BS, bugger all to do there but if you just want to chill it's as I said, as laid back as you will find anywhere.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to recall a nudist beach there
Old Nov 11th 2011, 10:35 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

We've had a couple of week long holidays on Maggie when we've needed to switch off and do nothing as well as a few day trips there. It's actually a suburb of Townsville and a number of people commute from there each day for work. I'm not sure I could live there for a year, but plenty of people do and when you want more shops etc Townsville is only a very short ferry ride away. There's a bus service that picks up from the ferry terminal that loops around the CBD. http://www.sunbus.com.au/documents/R...7_2011_001.pdf
Old Nov 11th 2011, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Townsville and go there often, it feels like you have left the rat race behind and can really start to feel less stressed.
Its expensive there as they have a captive audience, but my friend moved there with her husband and teenage son and they love it. They travel to work every day by the ferry and although during our wet season you can be stranded (either on the island or Tsv), they say they wouldn't change it.
My mate does all her grocery shopping here in Tsv as its too expensive there.
Its a gorgeous place and if you want to get off the beaten track, West Point is the place to go....just pure bliss, no shops, no pubs....just you and the gorgeous beaches and the ocean.......and the odd big Croc
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:29 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimtrish
We live in Townsville and go there often, it feels like you have left the rat race behind and can really start to feel less stressed.
Its expensive there as they have a captive audience, but my friend moved there with her husband and teenage son and they love it. They travel to work every day by the ferry and although during our wet season you can be stranded (either on the island or Tsv), they say they wouldn't change it.
My mate does all her grocery shopping here in Tsv as its too expensive there.
Its a gorgeous place and if you want to get off the beaten track, West Point is the place to go....just pure bliss, no shops, no pubs....just you and the gorgeous beaches and the ocean.......and the odd big Croc
Yes - we loved driving the track to West Point and watching the sunset - was a real highlight of our stay, I think we did it three times.

BB
Old Nov 11th 2011, 7:08 pm
Banned

The Senario.....................thoughts?

Retired, do not smoke, do not gamble, run an old car, and pay rent. Enjoy fishing, reading, relaxing, and like to have a few beers every night, whether at home or down the pub/RSL. No kids, no wife, no dependent, could you survive on a fixed income of $700.00 bucks a week living here. I ask not for me but for a friend who is not computer literate. Its just on the mainland, trying to find fully furnished accomodation with air con, with either one or two bedrooms is nigh on impossible for half the above income. Whereas, you can get a nice place on the islands for $350.00 bucks per week all in.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

What's the attraction?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.