Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Magical Temperatures.

Magical Temperatures.

Old Aug 13th 2003, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Magical Temperatures.

Bearing in mind its still Winter here I am wondering how come the temp is currently 27 degrees. Nothing wrong with 27 quite pleasant in fact, however if I am to read the tourist brochures or weather websites I can be assured of a average in Summer of 29 degrees.

Now anybody living here knows damn well that between now and December the temps are not only going to go up 2degrees.
Anybody out there know how come so much cr** is printed about OZ weather.

There was a Business on the main highway here put up one of those big digital thermometers on his building, in Summer it was constantly reading high 30's low 40,s funnily enough same as my Honda gave for the outside temp, however the news was blurting out 33. Council made him pull it down.

I smell a rat - honestly tho I dont get it?
Old Aug 13th 2003, 4:16 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

I'd trust the official figures over a roadside sign or in-car gauge.

Aren't weather station thermometers kept in a vented box in a shaded location and at a certain height above the ground ?.

Those constants are hard to reproduce in a car or on the side of a building.

I had two digital thermometers in the UK. I put them side-by-side and got different readings by a couple of degrees.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE]Originally posted by welshpom

Aren't weather station thermometers kept in a vented box in a shaded location and at a certain height above the ground ?. QUOTE}

Umm very realistic that is? I shall endeavour to spend my last summer here in a shaded location, levitating a certain height off the ground, whilst wearing a vented wooden dress

Old Aug 13th 2003, 4:50 am
Pommie_Bastard

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dotty
Originally posted by welshpom

Aren't weather station thermometers kept in a vented box in a shaded location and at a certain height above the ground ?. QUOTE}

Umm very realistic that is? I shall endeavour to spend my last summer here in a shaded location, levitating a certain height off the ground, whilst wearing a vented wooden dress

Gérard M. Wilson
"If you can cut precisely fitting dresses, you can sew anything, even circus tents. It's all in the cutting," opines Gérard M. Wilson (40), an Englishman with eastern European roots, a fashion creator, and an interior designer.

HE CAN DRESS a person in most anything, from perfectly fitted suits through paper cards to "well-cut" wooden dresses. And for a change he "dresses" furniture of all types with the nonchalance of a first-rate tailor.

A restless multi-talent

Old Aug 13th 2003, 5:54 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by dotty

I don't think it's meant to be "realistic". The aim is to be consistent, so that comparisons are made like-for-like.

We can all remember the thermometer held on centre court at Wimbledon every other year showing that it's well over 100F. After this last week, it's clear that 100F is hard to hit in the UK.
Old Aug 14th 2003, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Magical Temperatures.

Starts out with something resembling almost positivity........

Bearing in mind its still Winter here I am wondering how come the temp is currently 27 degrees. Nothing wrong with 27 quite pleasant in fact,

and then........BANG

Now anybody living here knows damn well that between now and December the temps are not only going to go up 2degrees.
Anybody out there know how come so much cr** is printed about OZ weather.

GET A LIFE DOTTY!

Last edited by MeganEkno; Aug 14th 2003 at 1:04 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2003, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

dotty

you seem to be confusing 'averages' with 'maximums'

ie on order to average 29 deg's during the day it has to go far above that as a maximum

the official temperature is given out by the respective met office. anything else is not considered correct.

cheers

richard
Old Aug 14th 2003, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

The official temps are all in the shade - the car and side of the building temps are taken in the sun which sometimes adds 10 degrees.

It doesn't get THAT much hotter in Brisbane in summer than winter but in summer it's humid which feels much much hotter.
Old Aug 14th 2003, 5:36 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by r.bartlett
dotty

you seem to be confusing 'averages' with 'maximums'

ie on order to average 29 deg's during the day it has to go far above that as a maximum

the official temperature is given out by the respective met office. anything else is not considered correct.

cheers

richard
Thats why she is called Dotty................... MM
Old Aug 14th 2003, 10:35 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jolyn

It doesn't get THAT much hotter in Brisbane in summer than winter but in summer it's humid which feels much much hotter.

Yes it does. 36C is definitiely hotter than 26C as you may have noticed in UK recently.
Old Aug 14th 2003, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by jayr
Yes it does. 36C is definitiely hotter than 26C as you may have noticed in UK recently.
I think what the poster is saying (if not I am) is that the difference winter to summer here is 10C.
In the uk the difference is at least twice that winter 0C summer 20C, so you have less temp change to worry about here than in the UK. This is just looking at typical not the extremes.