Made my think

Old Nov 27th 2003, 11:54 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Made my think

In light of what has happened to my poor hubby this morning I have got a bit worried.
Obviously the same thing could happen to him in NZ and because we would not be entitled to unemployment benefit we will have to keep money in the bank for those rainy days, we originally wanted to sink the majority of our money into a property so we didnt have a mortgage but daren't do that now.
Also we have to prove that we have worked for an empoyer continuously for 3 yrs dont we to eventually apply for citizenship in NZ so what happens if there are breaks
Old Nov 27th 2003, 2:30 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Oh Sky - get off the roundabout quick!

I know these things are worth considering, but truley the number of potential problems are ginormous.

You have just got to have faith that it will work out for you, and if it doesn't, like with Mr GD, then Fate is obviously trying to tell you something.

I am sending you some positive vibes - got 'em yet? !
Old Nov 28th 2003, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Made my think

Also.... I'm pretty sure you don't have to be in employment for 3 years to get citizenship - just living here is Ok.

Chill out vibes are heading your way!!

Nicola.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ <- soothing vibes
Old Nov 28th 2003, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont panic! If you're planning on working when you get over there, buy the house you want mortgage free, then if the worst does happen, one of you will still be working and you should'nt have any problem getting a small re-mortgage - there's always a way out of every problem!
Old Nov 28th 2003, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

Will the world end if you don't move to NZ immediately?

Personally, I think you should make the move when you've got some sort of backup plan and KNOW that things will be okay (not perfect but at least "okay").

Last thing you want is to be unemployed with a mortgage and the added stress of settling into a new country...

Choice is yours... ultimately.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

sky just read your post what a bummer, but their loss is someone elses gain, as the saying goes (not much help really) as one door closes another one opens, in the past 3 years des has been made redundant 3 times but this has made us more determined to do what we are doing

cheery thoughts are winging there way to you

arlene
Old Nov 28th 2003, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

Come to Napier, they can't find enough builders here to cope with the demand. If he's a good tradesman there's no way he'd end up with no work. All the best anyway.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sky

I know it is very scarey... but take a deep breath and take the plunge...

Whatever happens you,ll over come the problems and obstacles..stick together and work it together as you are much stronger this way...

This is how hubby and I see things...

all the very best to you and dont let these knock backs grind you down. Last week I had awful news regarding my house sale nd should have bben leaving for aus next wed. but alas after loads of crying I believe it happened for a reason and forward and upwards we go...

take care and stay strong

lots of love and hugs to you both

booboo
Old Nov 28th 2003, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Husband came home yesterday and told me his company have cut workforce to just one shift, temp staff to go on the 19th.

This may work in our favour if they start to make redundancies next spring, but still, what a bummer! Money will be a little tighter after xmas yet I can' help feeling that it is another push in the right direction for us, if you know what I mean.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Made my think

Originally posted by sky
Also we have to prove that we have worked for an empoyer continuously for 3 yrs dont we to eventually apply for citizenship in NZ so what happens if there are breaks
Nope. Being employed continuously for 3yrs is Not a requirement for NZ Citizenship. You must have PR before you can apply, and have lived in NZ for three years (doesnt matter WHEN you obtain PR - even if you came over as a visitor, got a work permit, then PR, as long as you are on a valid permit at all times ie not in NZ illegally you'll be eligible to apply for citizenship on the 3rd anniversary of your arrival date).

The citizenship form does ask about where you have worked, but this is only to show how committed you are to NZ. if you spent a significant portion of the 3yrs working in say, australia and it appeared to DIA that you were simply applying for NZ citizenship so you could get a passport to allow you to move to OZ, then this would obviously affect your application. Short breaks in employment won't be a problem.

Russ.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 12:23 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Lol have calmed down now and have re-read all the stuff on citizenship from a link on NZIS site and realise that you just have to have made NZ your home for 3yrs the work is not a condition of it although if you made NZ your home obviously you would be working there anyway.
Feel a lot more chilled thanks for all the positive vibes