Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mackay...WHat's it like very sticky?

Mackay...WHat's it like very sticky?

Old Mar 29th 2007, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

In Essex is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Mackay...WHat's it like very sticky?

Hi

Just been for an interview and have been recommended to look at moving to Mackay, just wondering if anyone is there or has lived there and can tell me what it's like?

I know that the house prices seem expensive compared to most places on the coast can any one give me any more info please

Thanks

H
Old Mar 29th 2007, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Mackay...WHat's it like very sticky?

Originally Posted by In Essex
Hi

Just been for an interview and have been recommended to look at moving to Mackay, just wondering if anyone is there or has lived there and can tell me what it's like?

I know that the house prices seem expensive compared to most places on the coast can any one give me any more info please

Thanks

H
In Essex,

Once spent 48 hrs there so for what its worth.

Nice airport with regional flights to Brissie - some interesting old parts but essentially quiet coastal Qld town - national pary area on coast to north was delightful - close enough for inland national park with platypii?

Would gladly move there - if that's a recommendation.

Bezza
Old Mar 29th 2007, 9:21 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by In Essex
Hi

Thanks

H
Although Mackay is a tourist town the reason the house prices are so high is because of its close proximity to the mines....the house prices are MAD!!!!

I personally didnt like Mackay, the town was dirty. the people I met were rude all they wanted was your money...............this is only MY OPINION before anybody starts on me.

You either love it or hate it.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Essex

If you want any information i will help as best i can! (pm me)

I have been here a year now and i find it a nice town (not as dirty as where i come from ) and you get rude people every where you go ! I have found its great for everything you need and its not right for everyone and everyone wants different things.

Anyway just to say its not that dirty and the people are no more rude than any where else!!

Lindzixxx

Good luck with what you decide.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by biggy
Although Mackay is a tourist town the reason the house prices are so high is because of its close proximity to the mines....the house prices are MAD!!!!

I personally didnt like Mackay, the town was dirty. the people I met were rude all they wanted was your money...............this is only MY OPINION before anybody starts on me.

You either love it or hate it.
I agree with this one. I am not in love with Rocky but Rockhampton people are generaly really friendly and pleasant/ helpful/ welcoming. I found Mackay to be the opposite was there again recently can never wait to leave even if it is on the coast.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend who lives in Mackay,,,she loves it but she does really struggle with the humidity in the summer.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by LINDZI
Hi Essex

If you want any information i will help as best i can! (pm me)

I have been here a year now and i find it a nice town (not as dirty as where i come from ) and you get rude people every where you go ! I have found its great for everything you need and its not right for everyone and everyone wants different things.

Anyway just to say its not that dirty and the people are no more rude than any where else!!

Lindzixxx

Good luck with what you decide.
I did say that it was my opinion, but the parts that I saw it is also the truth.
And the people were a lot more rude than where I stay just now. Because of my accent I got the oh your a tourist bit...then got over charged(well they tried to) I asked directions at another shop and they told me to go buy a map...."what tourist doesnt have a map" she said

Here even after 3 years people say oh....where are you from..are you here on holiday....you go to the supermarket and yer away all day, cos u end up chatting
Old Mar 30th 2007, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

I did say that it was my opinion, but the parts that I saw it is also the truth.
And the people were a lot more rude than where I stay just now. Because of my accent I got the oh your a tourist bit...then got over charged(well they tried to) I asked directions at another shop and they told me to go buy a map...."what tourist doesnt have a map" she said

Here even after 3 years people say oh....where are you from..are you here on holiday....you go to the supermarket and yer away all day, cos u end up chatting
Thats appaling to be spoken to like that :curse: I am a northerner and they do not understand my accent now and again but this is a select few (mainly the older lot) and i have had people spoken to me rudely here now and again but i would not let this spoil my time here i just dont want essex thinking everyone was not nice !! I have learnt to speak up now i will not be spoken to like that. And if you ever do come up to mackay again i will show you the nice people

Lindzixxx
Old Mar 30th 2007, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by LINDZI
Thats appaling to be spoken to like that :curse: I am a northerner and they do not understand my accent now and again but this is a select few (mainly the older lot) and i have had people spoken to me rudely here now and again but i would not let this spoil my time here i just dont want essex thinking everyone was not nice !! I have learnt to speak up now i will not be spoken to like that. And if you ever do come up to mackay again i will show you the nice people

Lindzixxx
thanks will remember that...although I think it will be a long while before I am back up that area
Old Mar 30th 2007, 2:51 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

thanks will remember that...although I think it will be a long while before I am back up that area
yep, your next hols are over this direction, i hope
Old Mar 30th 2007, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
yep, your next hols are over this direction, i hope
of course my sweet...savin ma pennies already. got the SIL and family comin on Tues so lookin 4ward to that.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:10 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

of course my sweet...savin ma pennies already. got the SIL and family comin on Tues so lookin 4ward to that.
aw that'll be nice, you mind and behave yourself now
catch ya soon, fee x
Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
aw that'll be nice, you mind and behave yourself now
catch ya soon, fee x
och bugger am no comin if a need tae behave masel lol
Old Mar 30th 2007, 6:26 am
Just Joined

In Essex is an unknown quantity at this point

HI All

I know that it's not utopia in Oz and am not expecting everyone to like me, I'm a brummie at root and have the common accent to match.

Lindzi - I will PM you for a local view

thanks all

H
Old Mar 31st 2007, 1:38 am
Made the move -

och bugger am no comin if a need tae behave masel lol
nah ya dafty, i meant behave yerself when your visitors arrive at your place

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.