Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mackay, Queensland!

Mackay, Queensland!

Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:13 am
UK to NZ to OZ

sarahinnz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Mackay, Queensland!

My husband has been offered a job in Mackay Queensland, i dont know anything about this area of OZ, does anyone have any tips, advice, cost of living, good for kids etc, any bits of advice would be great.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:28 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mackay, Queensland!

Originally Posted by sarahinnz
My husband has been offered a job in Mackay Queensland, i dont know anything about this area of OZ, does anyone have any tips, advice, cost of living, good for kids etc, any bits of advice would be great.
I'm in Mackay. We've been here a week - we moved down from Cairns as the job market is pretty good (fingers crossed). It's dusty, parched and there isn't a great deal here - however, there are nice beaches, the marina complex is quite stylish and you can get everything you need. We live on a boat but I've heard that it's quite difficult to find accommodation and that the prices are somewhat inflated. It's certainly at the higher end of living costs in regional Qld - pub meals etc are a fruity $25! If the job pays enough then it's no problem. There are certainly loads of job ads around too.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:46 am
UK to NZ to OZ

sarahinnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the speedy info, i have tried googling the area and looked at the tourism sites but they only advertise the great points of the area. So any advice has got to be better than none.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 5:05 am

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the speedy info, i have tried googling the area and looked at the tourism sites but they only advertise the great points of the area. So any advice has got to be better than none.
I'll update you when I explore more!!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 10:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

It is renowned for being an expensive place to live. Whenever we have to spend staff up there its a nightmare trying to find accommodation, either hotel or longer term, and its the most expensive place in regional Queensland.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Ooohh I hope I dont end up there.

If I get the job im after its either DIDO from Mackay or FIFO from Brisbane..

Brisbane is cheaper than Mackay!! Accomodation that iv looked at in Mackay is seriously expensive.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 11:29 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Our man on the ground in Mackay upped sticks and moved to Perth a few months back never to be heard of again.

If you look at some of his posts you will get some first hand opinions of the place. Search for username Framac67.

He lived and worked there for a few years but putting it politely he was not impressed with the place. Mind he was a Geordie so you have to make some allowances.

Oh, and Mackay may be expensive but it is of course relative. If you will be earning a good wage it doesn't matter in the scheme of things.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Ooohh I hope I dont end up there.

If I get the job im after its either DIDO from Mackay or FIFO from Brisbane..

Brisbane is cheaper than Mackay!! Accomodation that iv looked at in Mackay is seriously expensive.
There aren't many houses around that I'd actually consider living in either. It looks quite bogan so far - but we've not explored everywhere. The shopping centre yesterday when we went to Coles was dash in dash out.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Mackay for 4 years if you want any info drop me a message
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:51 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LINZI
I lived in Mackay for 4 years if you want any info drop me a message
It is a secret society?
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
It is a secret society?
I do not like to write to much on here about Mackay as there is always someone that comes along and says its a shit hole so i prefer to send information in private now
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:59 am
Bix
da Bonehead

I do not like to write to much on here about Mackay as there is always someone that comes along and says its a shit hole so i prefer to send information in private now

Don't worry about that.
Different strokes and all that.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bix

Don't worry about that.
Different strokes and all that.
Yes that is true :sunglasses: but jesus there are more worse shit pits in this country than Mackay to live in
Old Nov 19th 2011, 7:08 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Yes that is true :sunglasses: but jesus there are more worse shit pits in this country than Mackay to live in
Would you like to name some?
Actually before you answer that
Old Nov 19th 2011, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bix
Would you like to name some?
Actually before you answer that
Its ok i will keep them a secret

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.