M&S undies!

Old Jan 14th 2004, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default M&S undies!

M&S undies get such a mention on this forum I thought I would pass on the business news released today. M&S had a disastrous Christmas and sales period. Sales were down 2.5% on the same time last year and it was put down entirely to poor clothes of basic clothing. The director in charge of clothing was given the sack. They said something about intense pressure from other retailers on the High Street but I thought it must be because all the people who would normally buy the undies have emigrated!

OzTennis

Dixons on the other hand reported sales up 5% but because of massive discounting this was achieved through a much larger % increase in volume.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

'Sales' period and poor sales of basic clothing even!

OzT
Old Jan 14th 2004, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: M&S undies!

Originally posted by OzTennis
M&S undies get such a mention on this forum I thought I would pass on the business news released today. M&S had a disastrous Christmas and sales period. Sales were down 2.5% on the same time last year and it was put down entirely to poor clothes of basic clothing. The director in charge of clothing was given the sack. They said something about intense pressure from other retailers on the High Street but I thought it must be because all the people who would normally buy the undies have emigrated!

OzTennis

Dixons on the other hand reported sales up 5% but because of massive discounting this was achieved through a much larger % increase in volume.

M & S have outpriced themselves, for high street clothes. We have a M&S whare house near us, I occasionally buy from there, but is still too pricey....
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:21 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

The director in charge of clothing was given the sack. They said something about intense pressure from other retailers on the High Street but I thought it must be because all the people who would normally buy the undies have emigrated!

OzTennis
I think you may have something there OT but I guess that many of us girls stocked up before we left the UK. However I have become a Bonds Girl now. When in Rome..............
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Does anyone know why M&S have never ventured into the Aussie market? There are lots of M&S stores all over Europe.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:26 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

I have never seen the big attraction with M & S undies. Overpriced for the quality that they are.

Could always go commando i suppose....
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:55 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Got a pair of Bonds on this very second, Jirrupin, bought about a year ago now when I was in NZ ( god that is a long time to have a pair of knickers for!!).

Looking forward on stocking up on some new ones!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:00 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

OzTennis

M&S shares up 2p today (just heard on the BBC biz news).

Well, I *did* go buy loads of food in there today....

And in answer to the person who asked about M&S branches abroad - they have been retrenching (no Toronto or Den Haag shops now to my certain knowledge). You will find the nearest branch to Oz is Hong Kong (2 branches, 1 in Causeway Bay, the other in CBD). Sizes tend to be small, for HK spec ladies (ie no bras over about 34B).

I have no idea why they've never set up in US/Oz/NZ - all my freinds/relatives from such places go mad in M&S when they're in the UK.

Yes, folks before I leave the UK, you can see me on 'Mastermind' - special subject: M&S.

Anya.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 7:35 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by debsy
Does anyone know why M&S have never ventured into the Aussie market? There are lots of M&S stores all over Europe.
They were making a loss in most of Europe and have closed a lot of stores. Dixons is also in trouble because of discount competition and the banning of the dodgy extended warranties it was flogging.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:45 am
Badge

Yeah I've been wearing Bonds too. But I find the briefs a bit high up the sides so not as comfy. Give me Next or M or S any day - but it won't be enough to give up Straya.

I'm gonna get it now!!

Badge

Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:47 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by badgersmount
Yeah I've been wearing Bonds too. But I find the briefs a bit high up the sides so not as comfy. Give me Next or M or S any day - but it won't be enough to give up Straya.

I'm gonna get it now!!

Badge
Briefs in the heat kill off your sperm badge. Good for contraception but you were thinking of having kids.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by debsy
When I first came to Australia, Myers sold basic M&S stuff. It was really just underwear I think and very unexciting clothes. They stopped it years ago.

There was talk of M&S opening in Sydney once (10 years ago?), I think some M&S people even came to check some prospective sites and it was definitely mentioned in the press. However, nothing ever eventuated.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 1:18 am
Badge

I'd rather adopt as MrsB will keep her figure!!!

BM

Old Jan 15th 2004, 3:26 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Once you've seen one, you've seen them both:

Suspenders for Marks

Titivating Titilation
Old Jan 15th 2004, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally posted by S Oldfield
M & S have outpriced themselves, for high street clothes. We have a M&S whare house near us, I occasionally buy from there, but is still too pricey....
I think M & S is a dosey old chain which has traded on its reputation for too long. Its prices are high for quality that is no longer valued by the customer. Customer service strikes me as poor too.

Australian retailing in that space is very concentrated and competitive. Australian Woolworths and to a lesser extent Coles-Myer (which has lost its way at the Grace Bros level recently) would have beaten them to a pulp. Those two companies have a very high percentage of the market far higher than WalMart in the States, particularly of the grocery market which makes them household names and gives them deep pockets and geographic spread to compete.

M&S might be a big name for BritishExpats but that is a minority source for migrants these days. Meanwhile China has become a big source for just about everything that has a barcode on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.