Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lurker out of the closet............

Lurker out of the closet............

Old Jul 24th 2003, 2:44 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Wilf
It seems that you are right regarding my tone, but we all have our ways and I cannot do all this stuff without being a bit acid because there is much to burn through. I suspect sometimes that I do not alienate as much as you say, though, and have at least made many think twice, even if they do not admit it.

I am not going to give my personal life an airing here, and you must feel the same about your own, so should understand. Personal details are used against you to rubbish an argument that has merit but is not easy to take. I do indeed intend to make people face what they do not like to face and I do not expect to be popular for that, but nor does it make me as bad as people think - I am one of the few people here who isn't trying to get comfort from conning others into joining me for example.

I am surprised , but very pleased to hear that, as an ozzie who is well placed to judge, you largely agree with me that "for a variety of reasons, emigration to Australia is not in the best long term interest of those who post here". It is my genuine opinion and I am just stating it clearly. I am not looking for friends but just stating my opinions and trying to be very clear about it.
If not your personal experience, for reasons agreed, then your personal observations. I have no problem with theorizing from such observations if you cab bear having your theories questiond.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Re: Lurker out of the closet............

Make sure that you have your consultation with a decent agent as there are some dodgy ones about by all accounts - check some of the recent threads
Originally posted by jaruky
well i have been lurking for a while and have decided to drop a line.

I get the idea that debate can get quite hot on here!!- sounds good - but also looks like people give their advice pretty straight.

our story? - we with 3 kids (11, 9, 3) looking to migrate to aus. got a consultation next week with agent, wife is a nurse, and after looking through a few threads, feeling pretty confident on it going through fairly quick, house up for sale and can live with parents for as long as need be prior - but any advice, sarcy comments, or just plain insults will be appreciated.

oh - just to let you know also - we are considering going overland to aus? got some vague ideas about campervans and the old hippy trail etc....

cheers
Jaruky
Old Jul 24th 2003, 7:19 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Lurker out of the closet............

Originally posted by jaruky
well i have been lurking for a while and have decided to drop a line.

I get the idea that debate can get quite hot on here!!- sounds good - but also looks like people give their advice pretty straight.

our story? - we with 3 kids (11, 9, 3) looking to migrate to aus. got a consultation next week with agent, wife is a nurse, and after looking through a few threads, feeling pretty confident on it going through fairly quick, house up for sale and can live with parents for as long as need be prior - but any advice, sarcy comments, or just plain insults will be appreciated.

oh - just to let you know also - we are considering going overland to aus? got some vague ideas about campervans and the old hippy trail etc....

cheers
Jaruky

We applied with my wife being the main applicant, she is a nurse and we understood from various people at the Immigration exhibition in March this year that is was our best option. We were also led to believe that our application would be go through smoothly and quickly if we used the services of an Agent. Being a bit of a tight bastard, we decided to sort the application out ourselves, they received our application on 15th April, we havn't found any stage too much of a problem and are waiting for the Visa's any day now. If your application is quite straightforeward do it yourself. The biggest wait was for the Police checks, so I would suggest you apply for them as soon as you send your application to Adelaide.
In my day the hippy trail went through Turkey, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan etc. Wouldn't think of taking children through any of these countries today.

Good luck with application etc.

Slater
Old Jul 25th 2003, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Dear Slater

Did I tell you that I live on the Med. Coast in Side, Turkey - it is really lovely - just the place you would like to bring your kids!!!
Old Jul 25th 2003, 7:07 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Originally posted by debsy
Dear Slater

Did I tell you that I live on the Med. Coast in Side, Turkey - it is really lovely - just the place you would like to bring your kids!!!

Why move to Oz when you can live in Turkey, evokes memories of "Midnight Express" and innocent Leeds football suporters used as pin cushions.
By the way, have you sorted your Capital Investment Bond yet

Slater.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh dear!!! It is really quite nice here you know!! Sent you PM re bond.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Hi Jaruky,

welcome to the hornet's nest!

I am a nurse and got my visa within 3 months. Also used an agent. Granted they are v expensive, I paid £900, but I do believe he gave me info with regards to the application that I really wouldn't have known otherwise.

Can't offer any advice about overland travel, only to say, good on ya! How exciting.
Old Jul 26th 2003, 12:11 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Originally posted by Bella
Hi Jaruky,

welcome to the hornet's nest!

I am a nurse and got my visa within 3 months. Also used an agent. Granted they are v expensive, I paid £900, but I do believe he gave me info with regards to the application that I really wouldn't have known otherwise.

Can't offer any advice about overland travel, only to say, good on ya! How exciting.

That's really quick, is it a Permanent residency or long term working Visa?

Slater
Old Jul 26th 2003, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Diane&Bob is an unknown quantity at this point

Check carefully before you use an agent. Oz seem to be desperate for nurses so agent probably not required. Most nurses seem to have got through without using one including us - only a suggestion, but worth a thought

bob