Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skilled Designated Area Sponsorship

Skilled Designated Area Sponsorship

Old Jul 26th 2003, 12:29 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute
Question Skilled Designated Area Sponsorship

Hi all,
I have a query regarding work experience for SDAS. My husbands indusrty qualification are not recognised by VETASSESS so he has to do an NVQ level 3 qualification in his discipline. He is nominating safety inspector as his profession. His current job title is not safety inspector but i have been told that this is not a problem as his duties cover those stipulated by ASCO for a SI.
My question is can we apply for our visas as soon as he is qualified and state his 20 years experience prior to him gaining his qualifications as work experience or do we have to wait for a year and then apply or as this category is not points tested does he still need to show evidence of specific work experience. I realise that the DIMA assessment criteria for this category are not as strict as the independant skilled stream but i am unclear on this point.

Many Thanks
ACE
Old Jul 26th 2003, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

not sure about vetassess but the rules for sdas seem to be that you have to have a positive skills assessment, the points awarded are of no concern as this visa is not points scored.
Have been looking into this for my eldest son who has to qualify in his own right. He will be assessed by the TRA, who when I spoke to them said that he would need an NVQ level 3 before applying to them.
From booklet no.6 it also states 6 months experience minimum for the SDAS, which is counted from the "deeming date" (the date on which the assessment authority classify you as being skilled) i.e. the date of completion of your NVQ level3, so it may seem harsh but his 20yrs experience may be considered as 20yrs unskilled experience !

This is just my interpretation of the information I have received and may not be relevant to others
Old Jul 26th 2003, 10:31 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rossi
not sure about vetassess but the rules for sdas seem to be that you have to have a positive skills assessment, the points awarded are of no concern as this visa is not points scored.
Have been looking into this for my eldest son who has to qualify in his own right. He will be assessed by the TRA, who when I spoke to them said that he would need an NVQ level 3 before applying to them.
From booklet no.6 it also states 6 months experience minimum for the SDAS, which is counted from the "deeming date" (the date on which the assessment authority classify you as being skilled) i.e. the date of completion of your NVQ level3, so it may seem harsh but his 20yrs experience may be considered as 20yrs unskilled experience !

This is just my interpretation of the information I have received and may not be relevant to others
Thanks very much for your reply Rossi, I was hoping that wasn't the case as i have seen lots of posts talk about deeming dates in connection with TRA & ACS assessments but not with VETASSESS. I think you might be right though. It does seem a bit daft that DIMIA should disregard so many years of experience, oh well it just means we have to delay things by another year but hopefully we'll get our visas eventually.
Many Thanks
ACE
Old Jul 26th 2003, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

ace,
don't be disheartened at the worst case you will need 6 months from the deeming date.
So if you wait 'til you've got level 3 and apply for your skills assessment and they take 6 to 8 weeks to assess your application and return your result, you will only need to wait another 16 weeks before you can submit your full application to ASPC...........
and if you think that's gonna be a long time, just wait until your application to the aspc has been lodged, we're also going SDAS and expected 12 to 16 weeks to get the visa. So far we have waited 15 months !!
Applied 01/04/2002
Acknowledged 06/05/2002
Still waiting, although assurance of support was lodged and details sent to the ASPC 3 weeks ago.
It will happen............just got to try and stay positive

Good Luck
Old Jul 26th 2003, 10:56 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Hi Rossi, thanks for the words of encouragement but my husbands nominated profession is a forty point profession so he needs to show a years work experience.
I am suprised that your application is taking so long, i thought they were supposed to be fasttracked. Anyway good luck and I hope it comes through soon.
Kind Regards
ACE