Lots of help & advice needed

Lots of help & advice needed

Old Jul 25th 2006, 7:38 am
TNN
Just Joined

TNN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lots of help & advice needed

Hello,

This is my first post so you have probably heard these questions before and no doubt some, or all of the answers are here somewhere.

I have decided to apply for an independent skilled migration visa and was under the impression I need to use an agency. After reading a few of the posts here I’ve realised that some of you are going it alone. I wouldn’t mind doing this also as it will indeed save a lot of money.

I’m not in the UK and am not finding information on migration easy to come by. My work references and trade qualification have to be translated to English for TRA assessment and I’m not even sure about the correct wording for my trade in English (did the apprenticeship in Germany) as it seems to cover several (fitter, boilermaker etc.) on the SOL.

How easy or difficult is it without an agency?
I know it can take up to 2 years before being accepted but is there an average time?
Is there a sequence to be followed when filling out forms e.g. first visa application, then TRA, then something else?
Is it possible for me to go over first and my family to follow at a much later date, after I’ve tested the water so to speak?
Has anyone noticed if there appear to be enough jobs in the metal trade in the Brisbane area?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Last edited by TNN; Jul 25th 2006 at 7:40 am.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:07 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lots of help & advice needed

Originally Posted by TNN
Hello,

This is my first post so you have probably heard these questions before and no doubt some, or all of the answers are here somewhere.

I have decided to apply for an independent skilled migration visa and was under the impression I need to use an agency. After reading a few of the posts here I’ve realised that some of you are going it alone. I wouldn’t mind doing this also as it will indeed save a lot of money.

I’m not in the UK and am not finding information on migration easy to come by. My work references and trade qualification have to be translated to English for TRA assessment and I’m not even sure about the correct wording for my trade in English (did the apprenticeship in Germany) as it seems to cover several (fitter, boilermaker etc.) on the SOL.

I know it can take up to 2 years before being accepted but is there an average time?
Is there a sequence to be followed when filling out forms e.g. first visa application, then TRA, then something else?
Is it possible for me to go over first and my family to follow at a much later date, after I’ve tested the water so to speak?
Has anyone noticed if there appear to be enough jobs in the metal trade in the Brisbane area?

Thanks

Tony

http://www.seek.com.au/jobsearch/ind...tal&sortmode=1

Hi Tony

This is the main job search website "seek.com". Dont know about your particular trade but the issue on using an agency. We were constantly passed around the immigration offices and told to use an agent. It would appear alot of the work can be done by yourself - we just did not have the time or energy.

My sister is currently in Bonn and starting to go through the process with her German boyfriend. (He just doesnt know it yet

Kiwi
Old Jul 25th 2006, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TNN
Hi Tony,

I found it easy without an agency - but all my stuff was in the same language, and we were an easy case! The forms you have to fill in are pretty lengthy and complex, but they come with an equally lengthy explanatory note. If you're prepared to put the time in to save the money, then they're possible to do yourself - you just need to be logical about it. Of course, if you mess it up you've only yourself to blame, you can't say it was all the agent's fault

I didn't go TRA, as I'm a chartered engineer, so I can't answer anything specifically that way inclined, but it took us 8 months (that's including about a month for me to get the paperwork together!)

And yes, you can come over before your family. Their visas will have a condition imposed that they can't enter before the main applicant, i.e. you, but once you're in they can come any time (as far as I'm aware).

Good luck
Old Jul 25th 2006, 9:29 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TNN
You have to do the TRA first, then the visa application. You can't do the visa application unless you've passed the skills assessment. That's why you have to do the TRA first. Before you can apply for the visa, you will also need to pass an IELTS test and get appropriate test results (to prove English language skills).

If you get the visa, you then have several options. One would be for the whole family to validate their visas, then your wife/partner and children could go back to Germany and you stay in Oz and look for work and they follow you later.

Your first port of call for information should be http://www.immi.gov.au

Download their booklet for skilled visa application and follow the instructions. The booklet will give you the website for the TRA as well as info on the IELTS. Make sure you follow the instructions, especially with regards to translation of documents and certification of documents!

You may want to post any further questions re immigration and visa in the "immigration" section of this forum rather than here.

Good luck.

Gina
Old Jul 25th 2006, 9:51 am
Visa Granted 04/07/2006

zeny has a brilliant futurezeny has a brilliant futurezeny has a brilliant futurezeny has a brilliant futurezeny has a brilliant futurezeny has a brilliant future

Hi Tony,

Gina is right. For a start, you should really check out DIMA's website at:

http://www.immi.gov.au/

Unlike most governmentall sites, this one is actually helpful

As you are applying for a skilled visa, pay special attention to Booklet 6. It's the "Bible" for skilled visa application. You can get it here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books6.htm

Go through and see whether you fulfill all the criterias required in Booklet 6.

Whether you go with an agent or not depends on whether you can stomach doing TRA on your own. I didn't do TRA, so I won't comment much there but I can tell you that if yours is a starightforward case, applying the Visa itself is easy after TRA.

Can I suggest you look at Booklet 6 thoroughly and then speak to a good (make sure it's a good one!) migration agent. There are a few agents who frequent this site. And other members here will have their own recommendations.

The good news is, the initial discussion with the agent is usually FREE!

I think from thereon, you will find it easier to decide how to proceed.

Good Luck!

CHEERS
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:54 am
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TNN
Hello,

Thanks

Tony

We have just sent our TRA off (yesterday) we are going it alone without an agent, luckily all my previous employers were very forthcoming with the references etc etc.

PM my Mrs she can tell you more i am at work at the mo she is katsmajic

Good luck
Old Jul 25th 2006, 5:07 pm
TNN
Just Joined

Thanks for all the help. I now know much more than I did this morning.

All links are now in my favourites, booklet 6 has been printed off, the translation people have given me a quote (nearly 400 EUR) for 9 pieces of A4 paper with my qualifications and references (shame I'm not allowed to do it myself) including certification. The TRA form has also been printed off and I'll fill it out at the weekend I hope.

I'll post other questions regarding what to do in the immigration section as Gina suggests and katsmajics other half, I’ll send a pm asking your Mrs for tips.

Thanks again to all of you, I feel I've come a whole lot further in this one day than in the weeks previously.

Tony
Old Jul 25th 2006, 5:19 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TNN
Thanks for all the help. I now know much more than I did this morning.

All links are now in my favourites, booklet 6 has been printed off, the translation people have given me a quote (nearly 400 EUR) for 9 pieces of A4 paper with my qualifications and references (shame I'm not allowed to do it myself) including certification. The TRA form has also been printed off and I'll fill it out at the weekend I hope.

I'll post other questions regarding what to do in the immigration section as Gina suggests and katsmajics other half, I’ll send a pm asking your Mrs for tips.

Thanks again to all of you, I feel I've come a whole lot further in this one day than in the weeks previously.

Tony
I think that you might want to set aside a few weekends and a few weeks to do you TRA it took me 8/9 weeks to do mine that was 56 pages of typed altogether my TRA was 120 pages long.

Get some nice drinks in and begin the journey :scared: that will take you on an adventure of a lifetime.
Well thats what were hoping anyway

Herzlichen zum gluckwunch (i hope that spelt right)
Old Jul 25th 2006, 5:32 pm
TNN
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
I think that you might want to set aside a few weekends and a few weeks to do you TRA it took me 8/9 weeks to do mine that was 56 pages of typed altogether my TRA was 120 pages long.

Get some nice drinks in and begin the journey :scared: that will take you on an adventure of a lifetime.
Well thats what were hoping anyway

Herzlichen zum gluckwunch (i hope that spelt right)
8/9 weeks :scared:

Spelling was nearly right, well done!
Old Jul 26th 2006, 10:42 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TNN
8/9 weeks :scared:

Spelling was nearly right, well done!
Lol, took us 8 months to do ours! (I'm a bit slow though )

Good luck with your application