Lost freight

Old Jul 26th 2005, 12:19 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lost freight

Not something I really want to consider too much, but does this happen frequently? Has anyone here lost personal belongings in transit? I'm concerned about some very precious photographs and wondering if I should take out the most precious ones and transport them in my suitcase?

Is there any *guaranteed safe* way of getting personal stuff there?

Advice please?
Old Jul 26th 2005, 12:24 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost freight

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Not something I really want to consider too much, but does this happen frequently? Has anyone here lost personal belongings in transit? I'm concerned about some very precious photographs and wondering if I should take out the most precious ones and transport them in my suitcase?

Advice please?
I have been in the Relocation industry for 25 years , and any thing that was dear to me i would , keep with me ..................... mm
Old Jul 26th 2005, 12:25 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mr mover
I have been in the Relocation industry for 25 years , and any thing that was dear to me i would , keep with me ..................... mm
bit difficult to do that with a superkingsized bed...!

slightly too large for hand luggage me thinks.....
Old Jul 26th 2005, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mr mover
that is just what I thought, I have two large boxes of precious bits, I might send them in two different ways????????
Tara
Old Jul 26th 2005, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by ali south
that is just what I thought, I have two large boxes of precious bits, I might send them in two different ways????????
Tara
It's dreadful, isn't it? You don't know whether to pack them all together and pray, or spread them around with some going with you. If it wasn't down to weight, I'd prefer to put my precious stuff in my suitcase and freight my clothes! They can be replaced - pics of my baby and my mum can't.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

It's dreadful, isn't it? You don't know whether to pack them all together and pray, or spread them around with some going with you. If it wasn't down to weight, I'd prefer to put my precious stuff in my suitcase and freight my clothes! They can be replaced - pics of my baby and my mum can't.
exactly, in fact I am splitting mine and my mother is going to bring some over with her each time she visits, we should have them all in Australia by about 2020 at this rate! However, suitcases go missing too so you can't win.
Tara
Old Jul 26th 2005, 1:02 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

However, suitcases go missing too so you can't win.
Tara
Exactly......the safest way is hand luggage but of course very limited on what you can take by that method.

I took a briefcase with all our important papers......financial stuff, visa details,birth certs etc.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bix
Exactly......the safest way is hand luggage but of course very limited on what you can take by that method.

I took a briefcase with all our important papers......financial stuff, visa details,birth certs etc.
good idea, especially when you read the to do list on the forum which suggests you bring references from your bank, previous mortgage statements etc, etc, etc...............

Might need a couple of briefcases!!!
Tara
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Karenp is an unknown quantity at this point

Advice please?
Hi there

If I were you I would aslo scan your most precious photos and keep the disc in your handbag! Extra insurance policy as such!

K
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:05 pm

good idea, especially when you read the to do list on the forum which suggests you bring references from your bank, previous mortgage statements etc, etc, etc...............

Might need a couple of briefcases!!!
Tara
Sentimental though it is, though, all these things are replaceable. Inconvenient to do it, but possible. It's my photo's that are giving me the dilemma. I think I am going to split off maybe a couple of hundred prints and put them in my hand luggage. Because I'm soft and soppy and couldn't bear to lose all my daughter's baby pics!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Karenp
Hi there

If I were you I would aslo scan your most precious photos and keep the disc in your handbag! Extra insurance policy as such!

K
Thanks, Karen, that is an excellent idea. It would take forever, but as you say, it's insurance.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sentimental though it is, though, all these things are replaceable. Inconvenient to do it, but possible. It's my photo's that are giving me the dilemma. I think I am going to split off maybe a couple of hundred prints and put them in my hand luggage. Because I'm soft and soppy and couldn't bear to lose all my daughter's baby pics!
you could scan them all to disk (presuming you do not have a life and have time to do this)

Tara
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Karenp
Hi there

K
you beat me to it!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:43 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I would take them with me if I could, but if you really cant, also consider putting something inside the box with your name/address/contact number on it (even if its a relative still living in the UK!).

I used to work tracing & finding lost freight (with TNT) & you'd be surprised how often a package would sit in a depot somewhere unclaimed because although we had the package or box & technically it wasnt lost, we had no idea where it was supposed to go.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:07 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I would take them with me if I could, but if you really cant, also consider putting something inside the box with your name/address/contact number on it (even if its a relative still living in the UK!).

I used to work tracing & finding lost freight (with TNT) & you'd be surprised how often a package would sit in a depot somewhere unclaimed because although we had the package or box & technically it wasnt lost, we had no idea where it was supposed to go.
Spent 3 months tracing a box of rare books , that had been insured for $30,000. In Adelaide you get ,5 small country truck companys operating out of one yard, sure enough their it was sitting in the wrong shed. The driver {who is no longer with us} did not get any paper work signed, did not reciept the goods , and the booking clerk who,s "pooter"was playing up ASS-U-ME -D it was thier freight.............. mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.