Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

losing the computer !!!!

losing the computer !!!!

Old Dec 5th 2005, 4:58 am
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Default losing the computer !!!!

We will shortly be losing the computer...but to stay on line I was thinking about using the library or an internet cafe (if Barnsley has such a thing)......
But just how secure are these options.....can you buy accommodation and airline tickets with your credit cards at these places..????? or is it too open to fraud........

CORKER......
Old Dec 5th 2005, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: losing the computer !!!!

Booking on line is fairly secure as long as the company you are dealing with has the locked padlock sign at bottom corner of PC, when registering your credit card. The problem with Internet Cafes, is that they maynot have a firewall present, which means they are open for attack by hackers. I would not buy anything over the internet in one of these places.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 5:21 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Ive seen keystroke loggers on computers in Auckland. Obviously frausters at work, before you know it theyve got all your passwords in their inbox to use at will.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

respecttradition is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CORKER
We will shortly be losing the computer...but to stay on line I was thinking about using the library or an internet cafe (if Barnsley has such a thing)......
But just how secure are these options.....can you buy accommodation and airline tickets with your credit cards at these places..????? or is it too open to fraud........

CORKER......
It is perfectly safe to use these places as they have more protection than the average home user. When booking online always use a credit card, the credit agreement act says you cannot be charged for something you never receive so therefore they become responsible for fraudulent transactions. An internet cafe is a business and so if fraud was occurring through there premises they would quickly shut down. I have never had a problem in a cafe or at the library.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Gethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura about

Think there is one opposite the Town hall, down the little side street.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Awwww CORKER,
fantastic, will see you on the other side, will miss ya for a while if you can't get on

hugs lace x
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:25 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

CORKER......
buy a 2nd hand laptop outta the freeads mate,best thing i did wireless too only cost me 280 quid
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

My sincerer condolences Corker

But if youve a bit of spare :scared: cash treat yourself to a laptop and take it with you!

Yes I know not many of us have spare cash but I couldnt live without mine and would sell a kidney to buy 1 (only joking Id rather sell the kids)
Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:11 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

CORKER......

Panic over for now......My mum has ordered broadband to be connected at her house....on the 20th Dec...so we will only be off line for 4 days.....I think we can cope with this...