Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looking for tips for booking flights

Looking for tips for booking flights

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

blaengirl has a brilliant futureblaengirl has a brilliant futureblaengirl has a brilliant futureblaengirl has a brilliant futureblaengirl has a brilliant futureblaengirl has a brilliant future
Default Looking for tips for booking flights

Visa grant yesterday now I am looking to book flights any info greatly recieved
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 12:15 pm
Diz
one step closer!

Diz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really nice
Smile Re: Looking for tips for booking flights

We booked our honeymoon yesterday for october. we are flying manchester to london with bmi and flying with royal brunei airlines london to perth (booking this way saved £150 each). send me a pm if you need the website booking details and prices we paid. we sent our tra paperwork this week and are applying 175 hopefully in august if all is well. hope this helps. Diz xx
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

blaengirl has a brilliant futureblaengirl has a brilliant futureblaengirl has a brilliant futureblaengirl has a brilliant futureblaengirl has a brilliant futureblaengirl has a brilliant future
Default Re: Looking for tips for booking flights

Thanks for that will pm you

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

Hi

Sometimes going direct to the airline is cheaper, try emirates and singapore. Other times you get a better deal via places like aire line network and ebookers.

We have booked a multi stop one way which actually worked out the same and we are doing Dubai, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Sydney.

So, don't rule out ringing people like trialfinders and travelbag. We used www.roundtheworldflights.com £699 including taxes and we can make changes if we need to at no extra cost:-)
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 5:53 pm
funky monkey.

chiefster1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi... I looked into loads of airlines...travel agents...
on singapore airlines..1 stop in singapore for 2hrs 50mins...total time inc stop over = just over 24hrs...
26th Aug 2008 flight..

singapore direct..£667.
thomas cook £750
ebookers £654
co-op travel.. £ 650..
settled on £614 with AUSTRAVEL...

Important Note ..... If you have aresidency visa in place you can take 40kgs baggage....if you have like me a temp 457 visa than 20kgs basic baggage applies...

Last edited by chiefster1976; Jul 23rd 2008 at 5:57 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Twos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant future

We booked ours direct with singapore at the 667 price with the 40kg baggage thanks to our visa. We get a two night stop in singapore on the way.
We did consider the multi stop as we have done this before on our trips over but we just want to get started in Oz so ruled it out.
Good luck
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Twos Company
We booked ours direct with singapore at the 667 price with the 40kg baggage thanks to our visa. We get a two night stop in singapore on the way.
We did consider the multi stop as we have done this before on our trips over but we just want to get started in Oz so ruled it out.
Good luck
We are looking at doing the same a two night stop in Singapore as have 2 young children, can i ask do you take all your luggage at Singapore or does it go ahead to final destination?
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Eyore62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I ask when you are travelling?

I have had a quick look for end Sept this year and they were a lot more than you have quoted.

does anyone know of a good broker/airline for short notice flights?

thanks

K
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaengirl
I find that you have to just try a range of places, the airlines themselves as well as places like expedia, ebookers etc.

Sites like www.kayak.co.uk and travelsupermarket.co.uk are quite useful too.

If you stop in Singapore for 2 nights you will have to take your luggage, they will not allow it to be unaccompanied.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Eyore62 is an unknown quantity at this point

we did a stopover in Singapore last time we went and our main luggage went to Melbourne and we picked it up as normal when we arrived there. we took our cabin bags with us and made sure they had enough clothes etc for the stopover.

Jet lag was so much better than doing the whole journey in one go.

K
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iainandsam
We are looking at doing the same a two night stop in Singapore as have 2 young children, can i ask do you take all your luggage at Singapore or does it go ahead to final destination?
You collect your bags in Singapore if stopping over. If you have a lot of bags and for some reason don't want to take them from and back to the airport there are left luggage facilities in the terminal (very cheap).
Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:11 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaengirl
Only tip I'll offer without knowing your situation (budget, size and age of family, etc) is fly Singapore or Emirates. Avoid BA and QANTAS like the plague, they have awful customer service all round.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Have just been back to UK and travelled with Etihad, via Singapore and Abu Dhabi. They were the cheapest and the baggage allowance was 30kgs each + hand baggage. Never had such a generous allowance apart from flying via the States. We checked in on line, so didn't have to queue to check in. Our luggage was just taken from us at a special counter and at Heathrow and although we are fairly sure we were over the allowance, nothing said at all, when it was weighed.
I would describe the airline as adequate, no real complaint except A Dhabi airport is always heaving with insufficient seating.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 6:35 am
off2oz

nursekaty is a name known to allnursekaty is a name known to allnursekaty is a name known to allnursekaty is a name known to allnursekaty is a name known to allnursekaty is a name known to allnursekaty is a name known to allnursekaty is a name known to allnursekaty is a name known to allnursekaty is a name known to allnursekaty is a name known to all

we booked air new zealand cause u get double baggage alowance when flying via usa...the flights were similar price to other airlines....
Old Jul 24th 2008, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iainandsam
If you fly SA and get the migrant baggage allowance, make sure you get it in writing (ask for specific e-mail confirmation and print it off) so when you check in again in Singapore there's no hassle. You can check in in person at the SA office on Orchard Road within 48 hours of your onward journey which saves you queuing for ages at the airport and you can get their later.

My top tip: NEVER fly BA or Quantas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.