Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looking for jobs...

Looking for jobs...

Old May 1st 2009, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

the_gripmaster will become famous soon enoughthe_gripmaster will become famous soon enough
Default Looking for jobs...

I just got my GSM 175 Grant Letter today. Before I land in Australia, I am trying to secure a job (IT - Linux sysadmin).
  • Would it be too difficult to secure a job from abroad?
  • What personal info regarding my visa grant might my potential employers might ask for and what info is safe to disclose to them?

I am looking for jobs mainly in Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth.
Old May 2nd 2009, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Looking for jobs...

I think you will be unlikely to secure a job from overseas but there is no harm in trying. Look for employers that advertise directly as they are more likely to be interested in you than recruitment agents.

With regard to visa until an offer of employment they wont care any more than you have a PR visa, at offer of employment all my employers have needed to see the passport and take a copy of the visa sticker.
Old May 2nd 2009, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by the_gripmaster
Would it be too difficult to secure a job from abroad?
I think in a normal market it would be very difficult. In the current economic climate impossible.
Old May 2nd 2009, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

*Would it be too difficult to secure a job from abroad?
Given previous threads on this matter I doubt any recruitment agents will return phone calls/respond to emails because you aren't in the country, hell I've been in Sydney for months and I have trouble getting the feckers to respond. No harm in trying but don't get too despondent if you don't hear anything back.

*What personal info regarding my visa grant might my potential employers might ask for and what info is safe to disclose to them?
From personal experience they'll ask you what visa you have and that's all they need to know. I wouldn't disclose any more than that.
Old May 2nd 2009, 9:47 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

What version of Linux are you using?
How many commercial year experience do you have?
You will have very little chance in Perth or Brisbane, there seems to be a little bit advertised in Melbourne. But as others have replied you need to be onshore. Unlike the UK the agencies like to interview you face to face before putting you forward for a role.
I'm a Unix/Linux administrator with 10 years experience in banking and telecoms and there is very few jobs around at the moment.
Old May 2nd 2009, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

the_gripmaster will become famous soon enoughthe_gripmaster will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by spottydog
Originally Posted by ossigeno
Originally Posted by tartankoala
Thanks for your replies. The answer seems unanimous: "almost impossible."

Originally Posted by MarkMC
What version of Linux are you using?
How many commercial year experience do you have?
You will have very little chance in Perth or Brisbane, there seems to be a little bit advertised in Melbourne. But as others have replied you need to be onshore. Unlike the UK the agencies like to interview you face to face before putting you forward for a role.
I'm a Unix/Linux administrator with 10 years experience in banking and telecoms and there is very few jobs around at the moment.
I have worked on RHEL, CentOS and SLES backed up by RHCE. Besides syadministration, I have experience in XHTML/CSS/JavaScript/AJAX/PHP/MySQL web development, internet security, Windows Server administration and some Solaris administration. Is this good enough (for a 60k job)?

I have 5 years of commercial Linux experience.

Last edited by the_gripmaster; May 2nd 2009 at 11:42 am.
Old May 2nd 2009, 11:59 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by the_gripmaster
Thanks for your replies. The answer seems unanimous: "almost impossible."

I have worked on RHEL, CentOS and SLES backed up by RHCE. Besides syadministration, I have experience in XHTML/CSS/JavaScript/AJAX/PHP/MySQL web development, internet security, Windows Server administration and some Solaris administration. Is this good enough (for a 60k job)?

I have 5 years of commercial Linux experience.
60K? Dollars? You will get more than that!!!! I will PM you.....