Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looking for info on the west side of Melbourne

Looking for info on the west side of Melbourne

Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:46 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looking for info on the west side of Melbourne

We're currently looking at some of the new (and newish) estates on the West of Melbourne such as Point Cook, Sanctuary Lakes and Caroline Springs.

One thing strikes me is that the property is remarkably cheaper than the eastern suburbs and I am wondering why?

Is it because no one really "wants" to live there? Is there higher crime? Is there a problem demographic?

Searching on here has shown me that some love it, some hate it. Personally, I don't have a problem with new estates, I actually prefer them so the comments about "stepford" don't worry me, and we've seen some very expensive "Stepfords" in Melbourne. What is it that people don't like about these areas? I'd love to know because on the face of it, they seem incredibly attractive for young professional families.

Also, can anyone in those areas give me an indication of the commuting times by train (from LAverton I guess).

Where's Fraser when you need him?

Gill
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:58 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for info on the west side of Melbourne

Originally Posted by herrchook
We're currently looking at some of the new (and newish) estates on the West of Melbourne such as Point Cook, Sanctuary Lakes and Caroline Springs.

One thing strikes me is that the property is remarkably cheaper than the eastern suburbs and I am wondering why?

Is it because no one really "wants" to live there? Is there higher crime? Is there a problem demographic?

Searching on here has shown me that some love it, some hate it. Personally, I don't have a problem with new estates, I actually prefer them so the comments about "stepford" don't worry me, and we've seen some very expensive "Stepfords" in Melbourne. What is it that people don't like about these areas? I'd love to know because on the face of it, they seem incredibly attractive for young professional families.

Also, can anyone in those areas give me an indication of the commuting times by train (from LAverton I guess).

Where's Fraser when you need him?

Gill
West of Melbourne is developing, so doesn't have a great deal of character except for a couple of areas, such as Williamstown which is really expensive, and Footscray that is really rough

The West is ok, though and for some people it is perfect. To me, Point Cook feels a bit like the Truman Show, while Laverton has a bit of a rough reputation. Caroline Springs and Sanctuary Lakes are similar as well, but each to their own, and I know of some people that live in these areas and love it.

Commutes vary from the West, and if you're driving in the morning about 8am it can take ages, especially now the West Gate Bridge is down to 80km. The trains are ok, but as everywhere, are packed during the rush hour, and there are no trams to take some of the load, although the bus service is apparently good.

All in all, I wouldn't want to live there, but it is worth checking it out....Altona is ok in the west, and I quite like Yarraville.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

parentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the rough

Aww Gill,

I thought you were coming over to live in Berwick with me??? Hope you are all feeling okay after your flight and that your 3 year old is feeling heaps better.

Take care,

Karenxx
Old Aug 4th 2007, 12:16 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Carl, thanks for that. It was great to meet you last night, such a shame Cas couldn't make it. Tell her I'll pm her and try to get over to meet soon.

TBH, Mike and I both really like new build estates (and old) so the trueman show thing isn't too much of a problem for us. We both loved Berwick when we drove over there today but Mike's worried about the commute being too long.

It's gonna be a nightmare trying to work out where we want to go.

Take care

Gill

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
West of Melbourne is developing, so doesn't have a great deal of character except for a couple of areas, such as Williamstown which is really expensive, and Footscray that is really rough

The West is ok, though and for some people it is perfect. To me, Point Cook feels a bit like the Truman Show, while Laverton has a bit of a rough reputation. Caroline Springs and Sanctuary Lakes are similar as well, but each to their own, and I know of some people that live in these areas and love it.

Commutes vary from the West, and if you're driving in the morning about 8am it can take ages, especially now the West Gate Bridge is down to 80km. The trains are ok, but as everywhere, are packed during the rush hour, and there are no trams to take some of the load, although the bus service is apparently good.

All in all, I wouldn't want to live there, but it is worth checking it out....Altona is ok in the west, and I quite like Yarraville.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 12:18 pm
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by parentsof2
Aww Gill,

I thought you were coming over to live in Berwick with me??? Hope you are all feeling okay after your flight and that your 3 year old is feeling heaps better.

Take care,

Karenxx

lolol, Karen, you were next on my list of people I need to pm. We came over to Berwick today and we both really liked the look and feel of it. We went into a show home village and I nearly hyperventilated . Those houses are gorgeous. We still really would like to be in Berwick but we're just worried about the commute.

How are you finding it? What's Berwick REALLY like to live in and what's the commute like?

Looking forward to meeting you

Gill
Old Aug 5th 2007, 11:19 am
Sunny Sydney

We had a day exploring the west side of Melbourne today so here's our thoughts ....

We headed out to Caroline Springs first off. My first thoughts were that it "felt" far out. On arriving, the houses seemed lovely but very quickly, we got that "Trueman Show" feeling that everyone talks about. We both love new homes but there was just something about Caroline Springs that we couldn't put our fingers on. We were shocked that ther didn't appear to be anyone out walking or playing - anywhere! Don't get me wrong, there's some lovely properties out there but it's def not for us.

We then took the scenic (not) route to Altona. Altona itself seemed nice enough, as did Sanctuary Lakes own the road but I suspect SL might be too expensive for us.

Next we headed down to Point Cook to meet Fraser and Rachel. This was just mins from Sanctuary Lakes but again, we got the feeling that the estates are a bit soulless. Fraser confirmed this when he told us they still hadn't met any neighbours in their home. Again, lots more lovely homes (inc Frasers which is up for sale if anyone is looking in that area) but we felt it was a little isolated.

We had a lovely visit with Fraser and family. The girls in particular were delighted to meet kids their own age (I'm sure they were beginning to think Aus has no kids and they've all been taken away by the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang child catcher lol). Thanks for that guys.

So, we've decided that the East is for us. Just not sure where yet but I suspect it'll be Berwick or surrounds.

Watch this space
Old Aug 5th 2007, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Gill - don't forget, if you want a coffee over in The Basin - just PM me. My girls are 5 & 3.

Cheers

Rachel
Old Aug 5th 2007, 12:44 pm
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by The Crow
Gill - don't forget, if you want a coffee over in The Basin - just PM me. My girls are 5 & 3.

Cheers

Rachel
Cheers Rachel, will def do that. Prob next week as this week's just mental. Fraser was raving about your neck of the woods today, will be nice to see it.

Gill
Old Aug 5th 2007, 2:43 pm
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

Have had some news about our move to Melbourne from Sydney. We aren't going to be moving until after Christmas now which suits me as mine and sons's birthdays are a week before christmas and i would like him to have a party with all his friends. Would love to start chatting with some of the people down in Melbourne as it is a bit daunting starting again just when we had started to make friends. Thomas will be 4 in December so if anyone has any children of a similar age and wants to get to know us drop me a line. We are looking at Point Cook as we looked at the area recently when we came down to Melbourne for a weekend break.

Hopefully hear from people soon

Poshrice