Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looking for Go Bananas

Looking for Go Bananas

Old Dec 3rd 2005, 11:27 pm
sheila and joe

joe and sheila will become famous soon enough
Default Looking for Go Bananas

Hi there -- wondered if anyone still in touch with jill aka go bananas -- i wanted to ask her advise as we are starting the process of building our own home and i need to to a fair bit of researching all the different companies for windows ,tiles etc etc etc -- have not been able to find her details on the members list and wondered if any of her friends could put me in touch

many thanks
sheila
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 11:52 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for Go Bananas

I'm afraid she left the forum in May, as someone upset her. She cancelled her membership with the forum, and has not wrote anything since.

This is a real shame, as I used to love reading her posts
Old Dec 4th 2005, 12:18 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joe and sheila
Hi there -- wondered if anyone still in touch with jill aka go bananas -- i wanted to ask her advise as we are starting the process of building our own home and i need to to a fair bit of researching all the different companies for windows ,tiles etc etc etc -- have not been able to find her details on the members list and wondered if any of her friends could put me in touch

many thanks
sheila
Sheila, if you PM me your email address, I'll pass it on to her.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 12:40 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=40033
Old Dec 4th 2005, 2:01 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

If you find her could you do me a favour ?

See if this fits.......
Attached Thumbnails Looking for Go Bananas-coffemorn5.jpg  
Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:03 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

many thanks
sheila
Saw her last night. She is well & the house they built is fabby.

If you PM me your details I'll pass them on to Jill. She doesnt go on the 'puter very much now.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 9:39 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

many thanks
sheila
This is somthing she wrote sometime ago - might get ya started......

You can build on any sound piece of land which is for sale. The best is level block, with no need for retaining walls which puts the groundworks price up. Other factors to consider are, is power easily accessible? water? gas?. What is the land made from? What cost allocation does the builder allow for this ? If you have a good builder he will give enough allowance, but you can be stung, read on:

We had a great level sandy block (like most of WA LOL), but a member of our family thought they had the same. Unfortunatley for them they had a limestone seam running under it and it put their groundworks price up by $35K !!!!

Pick a builder that you have watched construct a house. The times can vary enormously from 9 months to 2 years plus. I watched three houses go up by our builder before we decided. try and pick someone who doesn't over stretch themselves, some of the ones here just leave you in a queue.

A big factor in the wait is how 'young' your land release is. We bought a block in an established area which had been sat on for investment. We didn't pay over the odds for it and it mean't we had the title deeds almost immediately. Most new block don't have the titles released for months and I have just heard of one lady who has been waiting for 18 months !! So check it out, may be different in your State.

However with a new block you usually get fencing, reticulation and your front garden done if you are lucky. So it depends on what you want and what you are prepared to wait for. Of course how much money you have to spend and whether you have soemwhere to live in the meantime is a big issue to consider.

I bought our block before Warren was even here, but before I signed anything I got two builders (who are family) to check out the block, I checked land plans for the previous use of the land and asked around. I even got the project builder to come out and see it, before I signed a thing.

It's not easy, but if you get yourself organised, ask as many questions as you can think of and don't sign anything until you know exactly what the price is, then it can be emmense fun. However knowing what the price is can be the tricky part!!

With a good builder the Sales guy will draw up provisional plans and let you change them as many times as you like. If they ask for deposits before then, tell 'em to get stuffed. Our Sales guy was great and we have a very good relationship, even though I changed the plans 7 times.

I then asked for a list of all their suppliers for fixtures and fittings and went to check them out, some companies won't let you do this. It was invaluable !! because what their trick is, is to get you to the pre-start meeting and you end up chosing everything from a brochure or small sample. You then have no idea of the quality, the feel, the look and how light effects the clour scheme you have chosen.

When we were totally ready, then we signed. This however does not fix the price ! You can get some dodgy ones out there, read the contract, sideways, back to front, recite it backwards.

What ever the initial build cost is add an extra $50K at least - BUT don't guess at this, go round and get quotes (I'll explain that later). We have added $100K to the original price, but we knew this and we are having a pool and the garden landscaped and everything finished before we move in - hopefully !!!!

You should expect to pay extra for:

Power points (there is NEVER enough)

Outside power point

Skirting

Coving

Bricking up any open plan areas

Extra phone points (you'll need at least two remember for the Net !!)

Tiling - they charge extra for the way it's laid and if you have borders

Some decorating - walls may not be included

3 phase electrics (if you want a reverse cycle aircon hot and cold)

Extra wiring for cinema stuff (if you want one of course)

Extra paving - usually only include your drive (not the crossover) and one path.

And any other extras like, plumbing to a fridge (ice maker), making rooms bigger, adding cupboards, the list goes on and on...........

And our builder has alot more than most included.

Now on top of that you must get yourself quotes for the following: (It's no good buliding the house of your dreams and you find your can't afford to put flooring in)

Carpets - bedrooms?

Flooring in living areas (wet areas should be included)

Light points (as power points)

Air con

Garden

Reticulation

Paving

Alarm

Lights (they leave you lovely plastic cones)

Fencing if not included.

Blinds a must

Curtains, optional

Security fly screens

Extra furniture - you'll need it believe me.

GET THREE QUOTES FOR EVERYTHING AND BARTER

Beware you can always be stung if contractors get a pay rise. Also keep an eye on what tradesmen are in demand. At the moment, it's pretty much evryone, but the problem areas in WA are brickies, roofers and tilers! the main ones really.

Having said all this we signed our contract and two weeks later our slab went down, 3 weeks after our bricks where delivered (I had pre-booked a slot) We had brickies on site a week later and apart from a 5 week delay 'cos our roofer broke his leg, we have been delighted with our build and are looking to be in end June, beginning July. (9 month build)

I have an excellent relationship with our Site Manager and we speak daily. I don't pester him, we just a have an honest and professional manner of dealing with each other, and a little banter. Our lock up is in two weeks and the plastering is finished next week. They have been great as we are having af ew extras which are not part of the build and they have been fine about letting them on site, some are not.

Good luck !!

Cheers

Jon
Old Dec 4th 2005, 12:50 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
I sent an email using the above contact details about three months ago, but sadly Jill never replied. I guess she is just busy with her own life now and less keen to answer "housbuilding" questions.

Gina
Old Dec 5th 2005, 1:20 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
I sent an email using the above contact details about three months ago, but sadly Jill never replied. I guess she is just busy with her own life now and less keen to answer "housbuilding" questions.

Gina
Maybe(or, yes, she is busy ), but she's also had computer problems, and was also on dialup(and maybe still is?)

Old Dec 5th 2005, 2:25 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Silly me didn't realise who 'desperate' was
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:11 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Or how 'desperate'