Reload this Page >

Looking back at some of the old threads

Wikiposts

Looking back at some of the old threads

Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
Excellent post Nara. It is a reason I fear for those who are listing lots of reasons to leave Britain.

The only pug I have come across was an absolute nut case. At first it would have loads of energy and then run around like crazy. The poor little bugger had a congenital defect due to the purity of its breeding and its lungs could not keep up with it.

I can't imagine one at full throttle all day.

Yoda is a nut case! But she is also a dear little dog. We have discussed selling her, but have decided that, although we would rather we hadn't bought her, we have grown very fond of her and have put so much money and effort into her that it will surely work out ok in the long run.

I guess there are certain parrallels again to the immigration process not working out.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:39 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

We found the forum after we were a good way into the immigration process. We have had loads of excellent advice from the site and it was a good tool (amongst all the other research that we did) for making sure we came here with our eyes wide open.

I tend to post in a rather frivellous way about some of the more inane and bizarre aspects of moving (dreading the day of emptying the gubbins draw etc) and also posts on how things are going and things we have done since we made the move. We'll continue to post our findings (good and bad) as I think its only right because people had the decency to give us the advice we should continue the legacy (And if you can have a laugh along the way so much the better)

The site dosn't rule my life but its a good way of getting stuff out of your head (A trouble shared and all that)
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:39 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I reckon its a bit of both...

I still talk to TerryG occasionally (remember him?), and he is doing just fine in Melbourne. He says sussex diva/chick is doing well too.

I posted 1700 posts in the 6 month build up to my move, and in the past 2 months less that 20. I guess for me (and others maybe) i was excitied and trepidatious about the biggest move of my life so far, and wanted to be immerssed in it. 2 months into the move now, it does'nt feel like such a big deal, apart from the odd twang of the usual homesickness, so i am not as "into" talking about it.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:40 pm
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

i agree oiweb! i have friends who come out here and go on and on and on about how great it is! i hate to put a dampner on their thoughts but they are living in the clouds! wait till they have a problem or something goes wrong and they very little support around them.. or when people move on and they find they are almost 'starting over' again....

once the novalty wears off they will start to see reality! i know people who keep going on about the cafe culture in melbourne and how great it is.... what are there no cafes in any other city in the rest of the world? what about hanging out in london in some quaint areas, paris, edinburgh etc etc... it depends how you choose to loot at it!

ok we may go to wineries (dull dull dull) in victoria once a year - but honestly no different then driving to different hotels in say oxfordshire (an example) and trying a different wine in each one because thats basically all you do !

im sooo excited to go back - ten weeks - feels like forever - hope to be gone around 16th april...... may visit some places first before i head back etc..... but soo looking forward to all the good things about the UK - the tv for one - i havnt watched normal tv in oz at all for about 3 months - just watch uktv mostly...

the clothers, banter, cold xmas, british pub with not up yourself ozzies going on and on!

good luck to all those who have tried it and have made the choice after experiencing both!
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by janeyray
Maybe he's enjoying his new life !!

Maybe he's to embaressed to tell us it's not as he thought !!

Taffy monkeys with over 5000 posts!!!!! Will he make it 10,000 with all his 'positive' comments about Oz when he gets here?!!!

PB embarassed naaah!

I am in Perth and enjoying myself loads. The reason I still post is lack of work which is also a factor in my level of enjoyment... for the moment at least!
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

ssmith is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by janeyray
Maybe he's enjoying his new life !!

Maybe he's to embaressed to tell us it's not as he thought !!

Taffy monkeys with over 5000 posts!!!!! Will he make it 10,000 with all his 'positive' comments about Oz when he gets here?!!!

Just wondering why you dont like it in Perth, apart from friends and family what else do u think is missing. People say it is boring with nothing to do just wondering what sort of things they feel are missing. Specifics not generalisations like history etc.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:57 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

My volume of posting is a sympton of my work satisfaction. Something I shall have to sort out. This job has changed detrimentally since I started and my brain is starved of a challenge.

I will have to redirect my efforts.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

There are a million and one different reasons why people do or don't post after getting here. I don't think is fair to assume either way their reasons.

I also did not discover this site until 6 weeks before leaving NZ to come here. I am in a very different position to most people on the forum. I had already gone through the leaving blighty process, and the homesickness and culture shock going to NZ. I came to Oz with my eyes well and truly open. I had no emotional baggage to bring, and could see it from a real perspective because of it.

What does annoy me at times, is the assumption that those who really ARE happy, and really DO enjoy their new life are considered to be rose tinted, unrealistic and talking crap. I totally accept that there are those who do not like it for whatever reason, and i also accept it is very, very hard to adapt. I know this because i had it in NZ and i truly do feel for those who are not coping too well and feel its not right for them.

My main objection is those who think i am in some sort of honeymoon utopia, and will one day wake up miserable...... well i wont!!...sorry to disappoint. I fit in here, i enjoy the lifestyle and i have made good friends in a short space of time. I like it...no..i'll go even further than that..i love it here!!

I have been here 4mths now, not that long i know, but after experiencing emmigrating elsewhere, i know Adelaide and Oz is where i want to be.

Now i can hear all the mutters of "if she's that happy, how come she's always on here?" ...two reasons.. firstly i am not allowed ot work until my visa is processed and secondly, i am very sick at the moment and cannot get out and about as much as i would like. I do not sit on here staring at the expats site 24/7. I have many, and varied other things i am doing online at the same time. One being, info gathering for our new support group. I enjoy helping other people, i get a buzz from it. I get laughed at and ridiculed on this site for doing it too!!...do i care?...nope..not a jot!

I just think its a far more positive attitude to try and help others with the experience you have gained, than just shutting the door and walk away when you've taken what you want from something.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 1:14 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Bloody right, Nicki! You tell 'em!!
Old Feb 9th 2004, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I tend to agree with Oweib and Janey. Those who dont post when they arrive are often the ones who shouted from the rooftops what a fantastic place OZ was going to be despite never having set foot out here. The happy ones do post, even if its just a couple of times.

It takes a lot of guts to admit like Janey and Donna have, but they can look back and laugh at how rosy their posts were. Harder still must be the ones who post a blazing report after 2 weeks then come down to earth with a bump three months later. Or those who make silly sweeping statements like Oh gosh its wonderful and 29 as if the weather will be the the same everyday!, or were not homesick and they have been here a week!

I have great respect for anyone who can say what happened honesly Good or bad.

Last edited by dotty; Feb 9th 2004 at 1:17 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
My volume of posting is a sympton of my work satisfaction. Something I shall have to sort out. This job has changed detrimentally since I started and my brain is starved of a challenge.

I will have to redirect my efforts.
Same here, and I spend much less time here than you do. I sometimes wonder how you get any work done.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 1:54 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Nara
Same here, and I spend much less time here than you do. I sometimes wonder how you get any work done.
Typing on the phone is not to hard. I do have busy moments but I believe I work too efficiently. My stats are as good as the others. A lot of the interesting stuff that used to occupy me when it was quiet was moved to another area. That was when my posting rocketed.

I only came on here for final stage spouse processing info and got hooked.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 2:12 pm
joem

Some people love liveing in oz, others find out after a time that it's not for them, it just shows that the great Australian dream, is not a one size fits all.

joem

Old Feb 9th 2004, 3:39 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by podgypossum

I just think its a far more positive attitude to try and help others with the experience you have gained, than just shutting the door and walk away when you've taken what you want from something.

This is what I meant, where are all the positive posts from some of the old posters that are now living here?

I'am really glad you love OZ, it's not nice to dream about living somewhere, spend thosands of pounds (or $'s in your case), move away from all that you know and not enjoy where you end up. Your positive attitude is a must for all those coming over to OZ.

However, ( I hear you sigh) it would also be very unfair to paint it all brightly when some of us aren't settled and prefer to go back to the UK. If we all said it was brilliant when we felt it wasn't, then there would be some unhappy posters knocking at our doors!!:scared:

Hope you feel well soon

Last edited by janeyray; Feb 9th 2004 at 3:42 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 3:48 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.