Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Long term renting

Long term renting

Old Apr 4th 2011, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Sandersons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Long term renting

Hi-looking for a wise word or two from you guys. We are considering returning to Oz. We already know we would be going over with very little cash, it's just the two of us and a choccie lab, no kids. Our question is this-is it ridiculous to consider renting for the long term and saving any extra we might pay on a mortgage. We wouldn't be going over with enough for a deposit and start up costs-itd be one or the other. Is it a British mentality to have/want to own a home? Is anyone happily long term renting at the moment? I'm not too clues when it comes to financial matters so hopefully someone else is! Thanks.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long term renting

We will be perfectly happy renting for next few years at least.

Well maybe not "perfectly", but it is what we plan to do as we think it will best suit us for the time being.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandersons
Hi-looking for a wise word or two from you guys. We are considering returning to Oz. We already know we would be going over with very little cash, it's just the two of us and a choccie lab, no kids. Our question is this-is it ridiculous to consider renting for the long term and saving any extra we might pay on a mortgage. We wouldn't be going over with enough for a deposit and start up costs-itd be one or the other. Is it a British mentality to have/want to own a home? Is anyone happily long term renting at the moment? I'm not too clues when it comes to financial matters so hopefully someone else is! Thanks.
Long term renting is very common over here. Lots of people could never afford to buy now (myself included) so you certainly wouldn't be in a minority
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

We have rented for the past 5 years to me it gives us the flexibility to move around Australia until we are certain the place is right for us to buy

Good Luck!

Last edited by LINZI; Apr 4th 2011 at 9:32 am.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:24 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Long term renting is very common over here. Lots of people could never afford to buy now (myself included) so you certainly wouldn't be in a minority
us too, been renting 4 years now, was strange at first, cant say i like it, but got used to it.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

It definitely seems to make more financial sense than mortgaging for the moment.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 3:04 am
Just Joined

Oz Hammer is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Long term renting

Always rented a house, as I have moved around so much. Never had an issue, whether it be getting repairs of any sort done or getting my bond back. Most good real estate agents make sure the owners look after their property. Always enjoyed the variety renting can offer too.

You will be better off being upfront about your puppy.

I have always got mine from the web. Depending on where you are going and what you are looking for, it can get hectic finding a place.

Here's some websites:

http://www.domain.com.au/

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Sandersons is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies folks, it's certainly food for thought. I suppose it's about looking for the positives in renting rather than the negatives-like most things in life, eh?

Oz Hammer-thanks for the links, will def check them out. And we'd be 100% upfront about the dog. I'd hate to live thinking we might get found out at any time!!

Hmmm, that's a pro for Oz on my list then! Hopefully we'll reach a decision soon-lol!!

Sandersons
Old Apr 5th 2011, 11:54 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

This is an interesting article

Brits buy homes, the Germans rent – which of us has got it right?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011...y-germans-rent

First-time buyers in Britain are struggling. House prices remain high, mortgages are hard to come by, and deposits are difficult to find. Many are now renting until long into their 30s, but survey after survey suggests that homeownership is still the ultimate goal for a British family. Yet in Europe's most economically successful country, Germany, renting is the norm. Is the grass really grüner on the continent?

As the Germans like to say, "Jein" – or yes and no. For a start, renting is not necessarily the cheap option. In thriving cities like Hamburg, Cologne and Munich, tenants might be spending up to half their wages on rent. And the prospect of paying a landlord well into old age appeals to Germans no more than it does to the Brits.

"The interest in home ownership is certainly growing," says Dr Jan Linsin, head of research Germany at property services company CB Richard Ellis. But young Germans don't feel too frustrated if they cannot get on the property ladder, whereas the Brits do. The difference in attitude reflects the difference in the housing markets – over the past 10 years UK residential property prices have nearly doubled, while in Germany they have risen a mere 2%-3%.

So what keeps prices down, and why don't more Germans buy? Firstly, there is the supply of good quality rental accommodation. According to CB Richard Ellis, German housing associations and municipal authorities hold about 12% of stock, private housing companies 10%, and property funds about 1%; the rest is held by private investors.

<article truncated>

Last edited by commonwealth; Apr 5th 2011 at 11:57 am.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:15 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies folks, it's certainly food for thought. I suppose it's about looking for the positives in renting rather than the negatives-like most things in life, eh?

Oz Hammer-thanks for the links, will def check them out. And we'd be 100% upfront about the dog. I'd hate to live thinking we might get found out at any time!!

Hmmm, that's a pro for Oz on my list then! Hopefully we'll reach a decision soon-lol!!

Sandersons
Once positive about renting is you have a choice where to stay, we currently rent in a lovely suburb, good schools, good transport links. There is no way wse could afford to buy in this suburb, so its one of the big advantages for us renting.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

I agree renting is normal here, we live in a new apartment in the city centre and the rent is great, there is no way we could afford a mortgage on the same place. We signed a 3 year lease.

The only downside renting in oz, when I compare it to when I rent in Europe is that the agents/landlords here are so pedantic, no pictures on Walls, no pets etc. In Europe I could paint Walls, hang pictures and have my cat.

...I still have that now just every time there is an inspection I have to take down the removable picture hooks and hide the cat, even though this complex allows pets my agent doesn't!
Old Apr 8th 2011, 9:45 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

We'll be renting, just as we do in London. There are downsides of course and eventually we do want to own somewhere so we can actually decorate and make it our own 'properly' but renting has the major benefit of being able to try out a few areas to find where you like and calling the landlord when something goes wrong!
Old Apr 9th 2011, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

There is no answer.Probably in the short term,say 5-10 yrs then renting is cheaper.

However as rents increase over time then there is a crossover point where it becomes more expensive to rent than buy.thus today you may pay $400 in rent,in 10 yrs time you may be paying say $800 and the mortgage you could've had may only be $600 per week

As wages rise then in say 10 yrs time the $600 per week that looks expensive now will look very cheap in 2021,starting off is always difficult but becomes easier as the years roll by.

The leverage of a mortgage produces large returns (illusions).thus you buy a house for $400k and it doubles in 10 yrs the illusion is you have made 4400k because you sold it for $800K.

The holding costs (interest,rates, repairs etc) should be deducted from this gain for the real gain.however you still have $ 400k in your hand.

suppose the real gain is $50k after holding costs,suppose the rental costs over 10 yrs are $250K then there is a $300K difference between the owner and the renter.

I'm retired now but when I came here i could rent a house for $50 per week on a wage of around $200 per week.If i had rented for the long term,say 35 yrs i would never have saved enough to retire.A mortgage is forcing you to save,whereas renting does not force you to save.

Without thinking too hard it always seemed to me that all outlays on a house I bought would be recouped on selling.Thus i would break even or be ahead slightly but have $400k in my hand.

my parents lived in a council house all of their lives,but the leases then, once you had one ,were basically for life.Australia does not have that option (that I know of).

To sum up a mortgage forces you to save,renting doesn;t.You WILL need to learn about the financial side of life,and make your own choices. The popular opinion will nearly always be wrong

good luck

Geordie downunder
Old Apr 9th 2011, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

The above post includes a lot of assumptions which seem to be expressed as facts without sufficient basis.

The comparisons seem to be flawed also.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve2009
The above post includes a lot of assumptions which seem to be expressed as facts without sufficient basis.
Assumptions are not facts.

A financial model can never be facts as nobody can predict the future

What would your asumptions/financial model be for a comparison?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.